Problem with rename/move files or folders

rezzo

I don't know if I'm the only with this problem.

But after apply the "Vista Performance and Reliability Pack Unofficial Release" in explorer I can't rename or move files/folders.

- Problems with Move files/folders (doesn't work)

th_mvproblem01.png th_mvproblem02.png

- Problems with Rename files/folders (doesn't work)

th_renamep01.png th_renamep02.png

vLite Windows Vista Ultimate 32bits up-to-date created with vLite 1.0 Final.

Edited by rezzo

vLite has got nothing to do with this, thats right.

I also get this problem after installing the 2 hotfixes. But they are BOTH BETA! A beta from MS, you know what that means. :P

I hope that this is fixed when the fixes get published officially. ;)

BTW, 6666 posts nuhi!!! Do not write anything from now on. :P

Edited by Dynaletik

Why are you posting here? vLite can't control file operations.

and how is the average user supposed to know that? :whistle:

as most people don't have this problem with the updates, it's obvious you look towards your own setup and what's different about it compared to everyone elses.... and as a vlite user, i also thought the same thing because i have the same problem. ok it's not a vlite problem but you can hardly blame someone for thinking about it. :)

Edited by marc2003

Dynaletik, haha number of the quad beast.

marc2003, it worked, he applied the hotfixes then it doesn't work. Main possibility is either some antivirus software or hdd controller drivers.

If he thinks that it's vLite then reinstall full Vista, apply hotfixes, see what it does. If it works then reinstall vLited, apply hotfixes and come to conclusion.

I know that vLite came out too early before people learn all the built-in quirks of Vista. And I know 2 people who are using these hotfixes with vLited Vista without any issue.

Bottom line: yeah I could have been more considerate in my reply, sometimes it's just that 6666th post.

Why are you posting here? vLite can't control file operations.

Because I don't know if is a hotfix problem or a problem with something of my vLite Vista Ultimate installation (i don't know, some hidden devil check of MS). :}

I'm sorry nuhi for open this thread. :blushing:

right i've just installed a copy of my vlite-d 32bit vista in vmware. competely barebones install. no vmware tools, no software, no drivers.

at first i can create/rename folders no problem. but after installing kb937979 x86 it goes wrong as per the original post and my experience. you cannot rename folders.... so it does "seem" to be a direct relation between a vlited install and these updates. puzzled? i am. you?

i'm now about to try a clean non-vlite install to see how i get on. :)

Edited by marc2003

You edited your post to look more friendly and I welcome that.

Anyway I read about this issue all around the net. Could be that they all removed or disabled something. In essence if you compare then if you used unattended with vlite you must copy that same xml file to the full version because it can be due to Administrator user or something like that.

Also it's kb938979, not kb937979.

You edited your post to look more friendly and I welcome that.

edited 2 minutes after i posted. the exact change was

"puzzled? i bet you are"

i changed it to

"puzzled? i am. you?

anyway, nvm i just won't bother with these updates. my vista flies along without them (thanks to vlite - i am grateful for that)... :)

Ok, if I vLite my Vista and install the hotfix I get the problem as told. If I integrate the Hotfix into the Vista-DVD and then vLite and install it, it works! No error, but copying files takes shorter, so the hotfix got installed.

Oh.

vLite - Unattended - OK

vLite - Unattended + Tweaks - OK

vLite - Unattended + Tweaks + Remove all - Not OK

Gonna see which removal is causing this, my apologies for being defensive but this one is one in a million. I am puzzled.

It probably needs some service running.