Any USB storage devices cause a hard lock or instant power off at desk

I am posting this as a fresh thread since I now know for sure what was causing my problems. This problem did not occur in XP, only in Vista.

I had an external DVD drive. Vista would install ok. The installer would take forever, but would work. Then I would install some updates, some drivers, then bam instant power off. It didn't seem to matter what order I installed things in. Eventually it would happen, and once it did, it would keep happening. Just as it would boot up to the desktop, it would instantly power off. I tried changing out things like the PSU, memory, cpu, etc... None of that changed the pattern. Everytime it instantly powers off I would have to unplug the power supply and wait a few minutes before I could turn it back on.

So I decided to try putting a UPS between my computer and the live voltage. Figured maybe it was getting some dirty/noisy voltage. In doing this I forgot to plug the USB DVD drive back in. System booted up without any issues. After a few minutes I realized the DVD drive was off. As soon as I turned in on, Windows Vista 64 Ultimate hard locked. The next reboot resulted in the instant power off problem upon reaching the desktop. I can repeat this pattern 100%.

I have tried BIOS versions 1.6 and 1.73B with my MSI K9A Platinum motherboard. I was also able to cause the hard lock issue using a USB Flash drive. I am hesitant to blame this problem solely on Vista or the motherboard. Considering the ReadyBoost feature, I'm sure extensive testing was done with USB devices. USB mice and keyboards do not cause any issues. I moved the DVD drive to the internal IDE port, and it hasn't crashed, locked, or shutoff since.

I'm considering an RMA, but it works in XP. So can I really justify it?

I saw the other similar threads, but none of them had the instant power off I was having.

There is some performance/compatibility patches coming soon to address the USB issues and others. So I will test then.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a similar problem with WinXP Pro (X86). I just recently installed a new harddrive and a fresh copy of Win XP Pro into my E-Machines Athalon XP2200 unit. Since that time, I am having an instant power off when I insert either one of my Flash Drives (Lexar, GeekSquad) both 128MB. At first, the problem was intermittent, but now it is every time. I am also having lockups and instant power offs after the unit has sat OFF for a period of time. When I start it up cold (after a lengthy OFF period) it will take 8-12 Hard Reboots to get the unit to stay on without lockups. I don't know if these issues are related, but they seem like they might be. I do know that the USB driver for my Lexmark X75 printer causes my USB connection to my camera to not work. I thought there might be a conflict with the USB Ports, but since it powers off every time I connect, I cannot check it. The Power Offs also happen in Safe Mode. I have an E-Machines Athalon 2000 unit that does not have this problem, albeit with an older installation of WinXP Pro and a new MSI Mother board. I am considering upgrading to a new Motherboard, but I dont know if that is the issue or just a setting in the OS. If you have any suggestions as to where to begin, I would appreciate the help.