Memory Problem..

tubui

I don't know how to explain this but yesterday I upgraded my RAM to 2gb stick and all of a sudden when I turn the computer on after putting the stick in, the motherboard starts beeping.. I got scared so then I put back my old memory and it still beeps.. What is the problem??

Hard to say...

But:

- Always disconnect the computer and push the powerbutton (startbutton) to unload the capasitors on your mobo and PSU.

- Reset your BIOS so all will be in "normal" ranges for RAM settings.

Try that RAM in an other PC if you can, it could be that you damaged the RAM when you pulled it out without unloading the capasitors.

How does the *beep* sound?

Sorry I wasn't being too specific. My motherboard model is Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro, Rev1.0.

The RAM I bought was http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231098

I read somewhere I believe that my motherboard RAM voltage is 2.5 and this RAM voltage, is 2.6.. Could this be the problem??

Also, the beep is a loooong beep, it doesn't stop at all. And when my computer boots up, it freezes right away.

I don't believe I damaged any parts of my motherboard..

How do I check what type of RAM is compatible with my motherboard? And also, how do I go in BIOS and reset the settings, so that next time I can do it correctly, and if possible, can I go in BIOs and change the voltage of the ram to 2.6 or something?

Also.. In the end, I tried to plug my own RAM back in and the beeping is still there..

Well there's your problem... you put DDR2 RAM in a board that only supports DDR. I'd hate to say it, but you fried either your board or your RAM (or both).

Next time, check what kind of RAM your board supports before you buy new RAM. A simple google search will find you endless information about your board, or you can find it on the manufacturer's webpage.

And there's another old saying we in the computer support industry have...

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hamm.....wait, no, that's not it.

If it doesn't fit, push har...no, that's not it either.

Oh yeah...if it doesn't fit, don't force it!!!!

I am so sorry guys but I'd like to point out that I gave you guys the WRONG memory link.

The correct memory that I bought is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231047

Of course I know not to force a DDR2 RAM into a board that supports only DDR :).

I was going to fix this, but right when I click the edit button, my internet went down!!!!!

AMI BIOS Beep Codes

*Computer gives 1 short beep when system boots successfully.

*Except for beep code 8, these codes are always fatal.

1 beep Refresh failure

2 beeps Parity error

3 beeps Base 64K memory failure

4 beeps Timer not operational

5 beeps Processor error

6 beeps 8042 - gate A20 failure

7 beeps Processor exception interrupt error

8 beeps Display memory read/write failure

9 beeps ROM checksum error

10 beeps CMOS shutdown register read/write error

11 beeps Cache memory bad

AWARD BIOS Beep Codes

1 short: System boots successfully

2 short: CMOS setting error

1 long 1 short: DRAM or M/B error

1 long 2 short: Monitor or display card error

1 long 3 short: Keyboard error

1 long 9 short: BIOS ROM error

Continuous long beeps: DRAM error

Continuous short beeps: Power error

heres the beeps from your manual that i downloaded off of gigabyte's site. i'd double check to make sure the dimm's are seated properly. sometimes it takes more force than you're comfortable with pushing to get them in the first time, but just be gentle. normally the clips clip themselves when they are seated well.

I don't have a video card, its onboard.

Continuous long beeps: DRAM error = THIS IS THE BEEP! It doesn't stop! And from what I seen its a ram error?? Can anyone explain more? It still beeps if I put my old one back in too. And, when I boot up, it usually freezes at the Windows XP logo, if not, near the beginning before windows start.

Reseting bios = taking out the battery and putting it back in?

I don't wanna update my BIOs because 1. I don't know if its necessary, 2. I don't know which one to dl even if I wanted to..

Please help me on this guys =((

And I doubt I hit anything in the process while doing this because my brother inserted it in, and he built 4 of our computers, I don't think he would make a careless mistake like that although it could happen.

BTW:

Motherboard: http://www.giga-byte.com.tw/Products/Mothe...?ProductID=1653

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231047

Edited by tubui