"Run a dll as an app encountered..."

DonDamm

Fixing a old Toshiba Satellite for a friend. I updated the XP SP2 to all current updates including IE7, cleaned out as much garbage as I couldfind and now is runs a top!

Problem - Add or Remove Programs is now blank and displays the Error dialog - Run a dll as an app has encountered a problem and must close.

I've seen this three times before. The first was a client who underpaid me when I was doing him a favor. I charged him $100 for what turned out to be some 10 hours of work and he paid me $70. I resolved to let him figure it out. In that case I belive it was an update from MS involving his nVidia card.

The other two I solved by one, using system restore, and the other by a repair install. In this case there is no system restore as it was turned off - by me. I wanted to get the things cleaned up tan then turn it back on. Sigh. Also, being a Tosh it only has a recovery disk and not an OEM install disk, so I can't use it to repair an existing installation. I can perhaps create one from some other disks I have and use her serial number and wpa.dbl file, but I am reluctant to do so. Also, I would like to find out what is going on.

I've re-registered a whole slew of dlls and the appwiz.cpl to no effect. MS has a older KB article on it which is opaque at best and referred to Win 2000. Google offers many hits, but few solutions and those mostly involved reregistering dlls. In the end not helpful.

All the program information is intact in the registry and the system runs just fine fine. I can even uninstall programs - just not through the Add or Remove dialog. This is frustrating, so I was hoping one of you might have some insight to this particular glitch.

tia :^)