What's the memory footprint of your Vlite vista?

sonnet

legolash2o,

could you please give us some, real, tweaks among your "lots of tweaks" ? or they are just big secrets or fakes ?

Some of your tweaking do not decrease memory usage (ie adding memory, sorting cables, spraying dust...)

Even, adding memory will slightly increase some Vi$sta cache sizes.

I'd really appreciate !

For now, with Vista x64 Bu$ine$$ with vLite and almost everything removed + only 14 services running + a lot of tweaks + a lot of normal/hidden/unused devices disabled or removed, the best I can do leads to this : 396 Mo after logging... (instead of 650-690 Mo)

My specs are : E6600 @ 2.4 Ghz + P5B Deluxe (lot's of thing disabled in BIOS : Firewire, COM, Wireless, unused ide/sata, cpu speedstep, enhanced halt....) + 4 Go DDR2-800 CL4 + geforce 8800GTX + 200 Go SATA. Firewall is on the broadband switch-router, AV is Nod32 last version.

Edited by leoblob

My memory footprint starts out around 200mb, drops down to 100MB - 107MB, and then after running some programs and closing them out, hovers around 160. Keeping the task manager open, I used WinRAR to uncompress a 500+MB file and my memory usage was only around 180MB. (cpu usage was around 90%-100% though lol)

anyways. going to make a new thread. got vista working pretty well on this "older" laptop. some people might inquire.

(with a list of what I've done, what I have, and everything. pics too. but you have to wait.)

~

some people might inquire

yes, please, any idea could be helpfull !

btw, is your vista 32 or 64 bits ?

I just made a nice long post about it. 32 bit. I think the fact that the drivers for all of my hardware are smaller than today's computers and so is helping a bit. I have no clue if that's true, but just a guess by checking out their file sizes.

oh i take it your all talking about ram usage, i thought meant iso size and install size

vista has excellent memory management, i benchmarked some games that use up alot of ram like oblivion/stalker..etc with default vista ultimate ram usage and it never changed after i vlited and cut out all the services i could via blackviper and tweakguides services guides

maybe helps on slow computers but looks to me like old old habits being used on a different OS with psychosematic results, i havnt seen any numbers crunched that changed...hdtune/3dmark/pcmark..etc

I'm not doing anything on my laptop right now that I wasn't doing on it when I had XP. basically, just Word, documents, my games, and the net. Not looking or trying to run something I couldn't or didn't run in XP. The idea is that on an older system, just to 'run' vista would be sllooooowwww. that's the idea. but I vLite'd it and as far as performance goes, it seems to display window contents quicker and generally run the same doing the same things I did with XP. I wanted the more reliability factor of vista. oh, and the flashy colors. :)

I never used a benchmark utility on my computer with XP. so there would be no point of reference to judge for.

i benchmarked some games that use up alot of ram like oblivion/stalker..etc with default vista ultimate ram usage and it never changed after i vlited and cut out all the services

Oblivion/Stalker are more GPU limited.

Here are some numbers with Doom 3 test demo1 (1600x1200, quality high, nvidia forceware 162.22):

- Vista x64 stock : 87.7 fps

- Vista after vLite and a lot of tweaks : 89.6 fps

F.E.A.R. (1600x1200 AA=x4, Aniso=x16, everything high/on except soft shadows)

- Vista x64 stock : min fps = 31, average = 63, max = 135

- Vista x64 after vLite and tweaks : min fps = 33, avg = 64, max = 142

UT2004 x64 patch 3369, map ONS-NMP-Panalesh (FRAPS)

- Vista x64 stock : average fps = 62

- Vista x64 vLite + tweaks : average fps = 65

Besides, with a lot of games, there are less stuttering and a real feeling that things go (slightly) faster.

Same with every day working with Vista (application lauching, surfing, office, startups and shutdowns...)

Edited by leoblob

i did same tests with vmware and low the memory each time[check my posts], the memory used by vista got lower and lower too

however below 130MB of memory used its got really slow

i think vista used the memory without really need and about 150mb used its enuf to run vista fully

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...on/bootini.mspx

mayb those options could help

/BURNMEMORY=

• Specifies an amount of memory Windows can't use (similar to the /MAXMEM switch). The value is specified in megabytes. Example: /BURNMEMORY=128 would indicate that Windows can't use 128 MB of the total physical memory on the machine.

/MAXMEM=

• Limits Windows to ignore (not use) physical memory beyond the amount indicated. The number is interpreted in megabytes. Example: /MAXMEM=32 would limit the system to using the first 32 MB of physical memory even if more were present.

go to msconfig>bootini>ad, options

Edited by aviv00

leoblob, superfetch enabled or disabled??

prefetch and superfetch disabled.

I was fed up with my HD and its nonstop clicking for almost insignificant performance gain...

Besides, I plan to replace my old 200 GB SATA Maxtor-Crap with 2x WD Raptor 74 GB in raid 0.