What's the memory footprint of your Vlite vista?

sonnet

Hi as per topic I would like to ask your memory footprint of Vista vlited after you just started the system with drivers and AV and firewall (vista firewall or anyone else you are using ) installed.

I have a laptop with 1024 mb of ram ,but 128 mb are used by the integrated vga,so 900mb for the system.

I made a 32bit vista image of 580mb,I removed almost everuthing including windows search and superfetch, and I disabled the most of the services ,but still at the startup vista get 320mb.

Having removed superfetch service,I was expecting a lower memory footprint..can anyone post his experience? (Don't forget to mention how much memory the system has installed..).

Only 320 and you find that too much.

Do you remember how much was full?

To be honest I didn't check, as I never considered to keep the default installation, so I just used the default configuration few days,just the time to preprare the new iso.

around 140-160mb, i have 8gb installed, and this is after loads of software is installed i.e. office 2003 with project, onenote, etc.. vb 2005 with .dotnet 2 and 3, Vmware server, windows firewall and defender and a few more..

EDIT: Updated

Edited by legolash2o

• 2 weeks later...
around 140-160mb, i have 8gb installed, and this is after loads of software is installed i.e. office 2003 with project, onenote, etc.. visual basic 6 and vb 2005 with .dotnet 2 and 3, dreamweaver, fireworks, flash, Vmware server, SQL server, web server, ftp server, mail server, AV, windows firewall and defender and more lol

How did you reach that results?

I'm sorry if I dont believe it, I think you are joking..

around 140-160mb, i have 8gb installed, and this is after loads of software is installed i.e. office 2003 with project, onenote, etc.. visual basic 6 and vb 2005 with .dotnet 2 and 3, dreamweaver, fireworks, flash, Vmware server, SQL server, web server, ftp server, mail server, AV, windows firewall and defender and more lol

I'm sorry if I dont believe it, I think you are joking..

tmbl3.th.jpg

Wasn't Easy...

• Lots of tweaks
  • Removing/disabling unused hardware
  • Removing/disabling services
  • Removing unused files
  • Removing temp files
  • BIOS tweaks (overclocking)
  • Lots of fans cooling my case
  • Sorting all my internal pc cables with cable ties
  • Spraying all the dust out
  • Disable unused stuff in BIOS too
  • Deleteing all startup items
  • Also aswell as using vLite i removed some services/features/etc.. i didnt need from the WIM image myself
  • Overclocked memory and cpu
  • Removed pagefile (not really a tweak but not really needed for 8GB of RAM, so Hard Drive is not in use as much)
  • Lots of registry tweaks
  • Only installed the software i needed
  • Created my own program which gets rid of unused processes from task manager and keeps them closed (VB .NET), adds all my own tweaks, helps alot
  • I don't use anything like IE,Mozilla, i use ma own (needs less memory and faster cos it has less junk but also less options & compatible with flash, etc... so it does the job)
  • Firewall on router so don't need one for my computer, removed Windows Firewall since i posted the topic
  • Most Importantly, made a image of the OS so i don't have to do all of it again :)
  • Disabled all special effects, except Aero Theme
  • Also removed SQL Server, Mail Server, FTP Server, Web Server and VB6 since ive fully upgraded to VB .NET 2005. Removed since last post
  • Lots more....

Edited by legolash2o

Hi legolash2o,

around 140-160mb :blink: , amazing man... :thumbup

Are you using windows classic?

Are you using Virtual machine?

How many services have you disabled?

Is the Superfetch service enabled?

Are you running the sidebar?

How much RAM do you have?

Have you tweaked your Vista with other software?

Have you integrated the Performance patches?

Thx!

read my above post but...

1. Windows Aero but with most effects turned off, just the glass effect on really

2. Not using Virtual Machine

3. Just got the ones i & windows need, the ones are disabled i have basically uninstalled

4. Superfetch was removed in vLite

5. 8GB

6. nope just went through the registry, and used a custom made program to basucally control whats running, anything i put in its "list" it will not allow to run, and if i need to undo a certain tweak/setting it will do that too.

7. Yes (Works Great) and all other x64 patches patches, using vLite

Yeah legolash2o I've read your above post. You posted it 1 sec before mine :P

Anyway, I wanted to ask you: why all these tweakings if you have 8GB of ram??? :blink:

Man.. your Vista must fly with all that ram :w00t:

Wasn't Easy...
  • Removing unused files
  • Removing temp files
  • BIOS tweaks (overclocking)
  • Lots of fans cooling my case
  • Sorting all my internal pc cables with cable ties
  • Spraying all the dust out
  • Disable unused stuff in BIOS too
  • Overclocked memory and cpu
  • Most Importantly, made a image of the OS so i don't have to do all of it again :)
  • Lots more....

I did not know you could get a smaller footprint of your OS by doing those things you posted above...

Could you please share some of those OS tweaks with us? I think it is time to go with Vista now. Ow, and please post your system specs too :).

im a perfectionist (i hate junk! lol), my girlfriend went on holiday so i had 2 weeks so i got bored n decided to order some new parts and when i went to add them inside my pc.. it was a mess so i just decided to fully sort out my pc, including windows. I just wanted a challenge and it was one lol, but backed all the tweaks up so i don't have to do them again.. thank god! vLite helped alot though, like getting rid of anything i didnt need including IE, then some of my own removals.

Man.. your Vista must fly with all that ram

Getting a Quad Core soon so that should be even better n also maybe another SSD later on too.

@puntoMX

you only listed like 10 things which i did theres 23 in total n the lots more part...

quite alot of tweaks i did get off google so easier looking on there for some tweaks. disable unused services helps too and if i stop using a program i uninstall it and all the files which came with it, also my computer defrags itself at night times (dunno if that actually helps though).

Edited by legolash2o

just curious but why does either the install or image size matter?

huge hard drives and storage media are cheap these days

i have 300 gigs for $80, a 2 gig usb stick for $14 at staples

just seemed odd to cut an os down so much it has little functionality, i thought most of it was why people bought vista? if not then maybe microsoft shouldve offered pieces and parts of its software for sale individually

just curious but why does either the install or image size matter?

what do u mean?

anyways

SSD's are alot more expesnive than normal HDD

i still have a good amount of functionality, like halo 2, aero,etc...

as i said above

im a perfectionist (i hate junk! lol), my girlfriend went on holiday so i had 2 weeks so i got bored n decided to order some new parts and when i went to add them inside my pc.. it was a mess so i just decided to fully sort out my pc, including windows. I just wanted a challenge and it was one lol

i just wanted a challenge, BIOS overclocking can go along way (for advanced users though), the stuff i ordered on the day i sorted everything out was some more fans and a higher voltage PSU, this meant i could overclock it alot more. SDD disk speeding things up alot too (read info on the web if you unsure what SSD are), i also stated above that i got rid of some programs like "SQL server, web server, ftp server, mail server" which was mentioned in my first post.

Edit: before i did all this stuff my footprint was around 300-320MB, on my other computer (1GBRAM, AMD 3000+, 256MB Graphics Card, standard comp really) its around 350MB

Edited by legolash2o