OPL3-SAx WDM drivers?

bizzybody

I've done a fresh install of 98SE and 98SE2ME on my Tecra 8000 Pentium 2 300Mhz laptop with 128meg RAM and a 'new' 40gig hard drive.

The built in audio is Yamaha OPL3-SAx and when I first installed Windows there was sound, but I then installed the drivers from Toshiba. After doing 98SE2ME (current release) it does bad things whenever I have my Compucable USB2 CardBus (PCC-USB2-2) or Belkin F5D7010 Ver.4000 WiFi card installed.

The audio sometimes crackles and it'll lock out the keyboard and mouse buttons and eventually freeze the computer or do the thing where moving the mouse or clicking buttons or pressing keys makes it buzz. Doesn't happen without either of those CardBus cards installed. Didn't happen with plain old 98SE and the VXD audio driver either.

I tried using the sound driver uninstaller then tried to get Windows' own driver back but the only Yamaha driver in the list is for some USB audio thing.

How can I get that 'generic' driver back? Or might there be a way to use the WDM driver included with WinMe? Yamaha's site claims theres a WDM driver included with 98.

Hmmm .....

I agree with Sfor ... you'll have to ensure that the yamaha opl3 is not sharing its irq ...

The yamaha opl3 wdm driver IS included with win98 ... the toshiba provided drivers are vxd for win95 and gives less satisfactory results ... you will have to remove the vxd drivers and use the ms wdm drivers instead ...

To manually remove the vxd drivers, remove the appropriate inf files from inf folder(s) then remove the yamaha audio from hardware properties page .... and finally refresh to enable win98 pnp to find and use the wdm drivers ... The driver wdm details can be found in inf folder (WDMA_YMH.INF) ...

HTH ...

Rgds

I found that WDMA_YMH.INF in c:\windows\inf had been renamed to WDMA_YMH.BAK so I changed it back. I'll run the Yamaha uninstaller again, then rebooting should force windows to install its WDM driver.

(I would do it right now but waiting on the horrendously long process to install Office 97 Pro, even though I'm only installing Word, Excel, MS Photo Editor and a few other things.)

Microsoft claims that INF is in cab 49. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238775/en-us Wrong! It's actually in cab 50. :P

Edited by bizzybody

It's the *uninstaller* that renames the .INF file! (Bad uninstaller! Bad! *viciously cluebats whomever programmed the uninstaller to do that*)

So I did this, ran uninstaller, rebooted, found new hardware, no driver, renamed the .BAK file to .INF, update driver on unknown device, found driver, rebooted...

No sound. Says "The NTKERN.VXD, MMDEVLDR.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2.) To fix this, click Update Driver to update the device driver."

Really? I thought the Update Driver button made the computer fix me a ham sandwich. ;)

*clicky* It reinstalls the driver, even though it says the best driver is already installed... Reboot and still got the (!) and "NO CONFLICTS". (Bull#%@#, there's a conflict between me and one stupid OS that can't even remember where its installation files are.)

Remove the device, reboot, finds and installs driver, reboot, get cursor with hourglass that won't go away, *reset* annnnnnd...

Right back where I started, see the "The NTKERN.VXD..." above.

Where do I apply the blowtorch to make this %&%@# thing activate this sound hardware?

Bleah! I had to go back to the VXD drivers. The OPL3-SAx WDM entry vanished from the available devices in the sound control panel, even though it was still in Device Manager.

DXDIAG could access the audio functions but nothing else could! Looks like the Win Me driver will need to be hacked for use with 98SE2ME.