Why Longhorn? Some facts behind the codename

Maelstorm

Why Longhorn? Some facts behind the codename and the REAL reason why Microsoft software is so bad...

When Microsoft first announced the next version of Windows, they called it Longhorn. Many people thought that Microsoft used the codename after the Texas Longhorn, which is a breed of cow. But, in a Linux advocacy group, a actual Microsoft software engineer who was working on Longhorn at the time made the following statement:

"Longhorn is not named after the Texas Longhorn, but after a bar that is at the foot of the mountains at the Washington/Canadian border. It's called The Longhorn Saloon."

With that in mind, the reason why Microsoft software is so bad becomes crystal clear: Their software engineers are all drunk.

• 3 weeks later...

All their recent codenames come from a resort near there. Whistler (XP and 2K3 code name) is a ski lift or something, as is blackcomb (windows NT 7/vienna/the next windows). Longhorn is a bar near there. Look it up on wikipedia, it explains it better than I.

Yeah, I guess Microsoft wouldn't give them free copies of their software just because they used their resort names as codenames. Funny that you looked. :P I'll admit :blushing: - I've gone up to one of those vitamin info kiosks at Safeway or something and presed Ctrl+Alt+Del to see the windows security screen to see what version of windows they're running. Windows XP, in case you were wondering. :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...