Installing Windows 95 after Vista

Molly89

I'd like to know if it's possible to install Windows 95 on a computer that already has Vista on it without doing too much damage. I have a spare 3.5gb partition that I want to install it on but I need to know whether Win95 allows you to specify which partition to install to or whether it will format the entire hard-drive. I'd really like to be able to just install Win95 without having the fuss of backing up all my data, creating a Vista re-installation DVD and then re-installing both Vista and Linux afterwards.

Or maybe consider getting another HDD (small and cheap) that you will use as primary and boot 95 from. AFAIK there is no way to install 95 after NT-based OS... Or you could play with PartitionMagic a bit :D but on your responsibility only...

I don't know if you can do what you want with it, but give Virtual PC or VMware a go if you can't get 95 to install. There won't be any damage if you use a Virtual program like that.

forget about installing Win95 on a different HD partition on the same physical drive, Molly89. Win95 can't work with NTFS formatted partitions.

better off trying this with at least TWO physical hard drives. one for 95 (formatted as FAT or FAT32) and the other for vista (format this HD as FAT32 so that both HDDs can be seen by Win95 and WinVista)

otherwise, follow prx984's advice to use Virtual PC or VMware