External Hard Drive help

Have an external Maxtor hard drive.....never had any problem with it...in fact have not used it in awhile. I plugged the power source into it and the light on the power source pulses....the drive won't spin up. So figuring it was a bad power source I tried another,....same result....then tried another....same result.......this Maxtor has very few hours on it....it's been in a case the whole time so I pulled it out of the case and tried connecting it that way....same problem.....the light on all the power sources just pulse, and the drive does not spin up.... I've rarely used this drive and it was new when I got it. I really need this to spin....my daughter has all her pictures on it, and all her mp3's including pictures of her ultrasound.....somebody please help us !!!

What I do is hit the drive by hand when it´s powered on, that could help some times to spin up when it´s stuck.

If that doesn´t help then you lost your drive and your non-backuped data with it.

There are place where they can fix it for you, but they are way too expensive and you will loose the drive.

What I do is hit the drive by hand when it´s powered on

Nooooooo...you take a chance on slamming the heads in a Bad Way TM.

Seriously...put it in a freezer for a few ours. Take it out and immediately try to get it to spin up (while it's still cold/frozen). If it spins up get your data off as quick as you can.

Well, I would take that chance, and beleve me, did it before, also the fridge thing ;).

But, the "fridge style fix" never worked for me... to hit the center of the drive helped for me a few times. Most of the time the heads are not above the platters any way when the drive is not spinning.

I believe there is an old trick where you can put the Drive in the freezer or something for a couple hours and then try powering it on? Don't quote me on that (use a ziploc for moisture problems)...but I believe I read that somewhere...

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/f...cover-data.html

Did you read the other replies before you posted?

Seriously...put it in a freezer for a few ours. Take it out and immediately try to get it to spin up (while it's still cold/frozen). If it spins up get your data off as quick as you can.
But, the "fridge style fix" never worked for me...