Speed up file copying with TeraCopy

tain

Has anyone tried Super Copier 2? I can't tell what the license is as most of the site is in French. A F/OSS product would be my preference so I'll have to check out Freshmeat before I start testing :)
SuperCopier 2 beta 1.9

======================

SuperCopier2 is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify

it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by

the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or

(at your option) any later version.

SuperCopier2 is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of

MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

GNU General Public License for more details.

Only used TeraCopy in the past myself. Currently don't have it installed. Same problems as the ones mentioned earlier in the thread. But doubtful is these kinds of software actually work without causing any problems at one moment. Curious about other people's opinions regarding "what am best" ;) so that I can give that software a try again.

I'm glad to see that we've compiled so many options. I'll have to sit down one weekend and evaluate these other applications to see which one I like the best. The one with the speed throttling feature interests me.

Pause/resume seems handy, but I wonder if these tools are really any/much faster and how handy the error recovery really is.

Does anyone use tools like these? How well do they perform?

Note my stated interest in pausing and error recovery :) Queue management and speed throttling are also handy. Speed is good, too, but I have no problem with queueing up a bunch of transfers and letting them run all night if needed.

I use xplorer² as my system default file manager, and its file copying functions are *much* faster than windows's. It may not be as full featured as some of the dedicated file copying programs here, but you do have pause/resume, error recovery, queuing, priority, replacement, archiving and logging options.

On PCs that don't have xplorer², I use XCOPY. Even on my own PC, whenever I'm working in the console, I just use XCOPY to transfer files/folders. It supports pause/resume, error recovery, archiving, some unique tree management (can replicate an entire folder structure without copying the files!) and advanced NTFS-related options. Definitely better than windows' copy, and hence worth a mention in this thread.

Really? From the site:

Advanced file management

Except for the basic drag-drop, context menu, copy, delete, rename etc, xplorer² has a palette of advanced file management commands like split-merge, shred, set comments, touch dates, paste subfolders, junctions or hard links, etc.

Robust file transfers

xplorer² can handle many parallel background file transfers (concurrent or queued) offering fine control over confirmations, error handling etc. You can copy large amounts of files with ease and peace of mind. snapshot

A bit confusing. And the demo video is only so helpful.

• 2 years later...

I have been using Teracopy Pro v1.22 for a long time with no problems until I upgraded to Teracopy Pro v2.12. I consider it unsafe for the following reason: I run Windows 7 Ultimate. I have been using Teracopy Pro v1.22 for a long time with no problems. I recently downloaded Tercopy Pro v2.12 and installed it and it immediately disabled MS update. Whenever I attempted to use MS Update I got the following error: 80072EE2. I searched the net looking for a solution and found none, not even from Teracopy. I did a new clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and installed Teracopy v2.12 only to have MS Update disabled. I reformatted the drive and did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and installed Tercaopy Pro v1.22 and had no problems with MS Update. Any ideas why v2.12 disables MS Update? Until Teracopy or someone comes up with a fix or solution for this problem I will continue to use v1.22.

Edited by EagleWing

I have been using Teracopy Pro v1.22 for a long time with no problems until I upgraded to Teracopy Pro v2.12. I consider it unsafe for the following reason: I run Windows 7 Ultimate. I have been using Teracopy Pro v1.22 for a long time with no problems. I recently downloaded Tercopy Pro v2.12 and installed it and it immediately disabled MS update. Whenever I attempted to use MS Update I got the following error: 80072EE2. I searched the net looking for a solution and found none, not even from Teracopy. I did a new clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and installed Teracopy v2.12 only to have MS Update disabled. I reformatted the drive and did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and installed Tercaopy Pro v1.22 and had no problems with MS Update. Any ideas why v2.12 disables MS Update? Until Teracopy or someone comes up with a fix or solution for this problem I will continue to use v1.22.

Have you tried TeraCopy 2.2b2? http://blog.codesector.com/2010/09/14/teracopy-2-2-beta-2/ Also, I would recommend a creating a system restore point first, incase you face the same issue again.

Btw, you do realise that this is a three year old thread right? o.o

' timestamp='1284677795' post='939505']

Have you tried TeraCopy 2.2b2? http://blog.codesector.com/2010/09/14/teracopy-2-2-beta-2/ Also, I would recommend a creating a system restore point first, incase you face the same issue again.

Btw, you do realise that this is a three year old thread right? o.o

Yes I do. And I will try Teracopy 2.2b2 and let you know.

deXter, I tried Teracopy 2.2b2 and it seems to work, however I will know more after one more test which I will do this weekend. Thanks Followup: I tried Teracopy 2.2b2 and it passed all tests. Apparently Teracopy changed whatever they did in V2.12 so that it would no longer disable Windows Update.

Edited by EagleWing