Looking for A Music Program

Nerwin

Ok, I am looking for some kind of program that works with my network here. I would like to share my music so everyone can see and listen to music and stuff, I know Itunes does it, But I want another program. Sort of like a music server, Well you know how Windows Vista has the Media Sharing thing? I want something like that. Like all my music would so up as a device on the network or something like that. is that even possible?

Thank you!

I've got my music stored on my file server, and I've just mapped the location to a network drive on my workstation. I have Winamp look for the media files in that network drive.

Simple, works with any program, and built right into Windows. ;)

I've got my music stored on my file server, and I've just mapped the location to a network drive on my workstation. I have Winamp look for the media files in that network drive.

Simple, works with any program, and built right into Windows. ;)

Hey thats not a bad idea. um. is there a way to set permissions? I know there is, But I dont want no one to change them or delete them, just read them.

As long as you're using XP Pro or Server, then yes, permissions are very easy to setup. XP Home is another matter.

For the directory you want to share, right-click and select "Sharing and Security". In there you can set the folder permissions for each user.

I know all of that, Its just I did this once before and it wasnt working very good. I dunno i'm sorry, I do know this, I do go to school for networking :P Eh, Forget it! :P I already know it, sorry my mind is racing at like 1000 mph and I just been trying to get to my network and computers all organize so it would be better, But I am still waiting on till i get my Wireless N Router with 4 gigabits ports and 1 USB port, I can't wait for that. cause right now, My current wireless routers wireless went on it and lucky i did have another router that wont work with my ISP, but does have an option to use it as a AP and thats what I did, But for some reason. say if i'm on a laptop, I can't get into my network, cause its 2 different IPs and ITs p***ing me off cause I tried to change it and it wont change and I dunno what to do, here i even drawed you my Network map

You need to setup your wireless access point to NOT act as a DHCP server. Disable that, and your laptop should get a 192.168.1.X IP address.

Rule of thumb - only have ONE DHCP server for your home network. It simplifies EVERYTHING... :P

just put the files on a shared folder called \Music on the server, then map the drive as M: on each pc

-good idea to give everyone read-only permissions to the folder, then when you want to add more to it, you could either have your own user account, or just remote desktop into the server to access shares from your own pc so you can copy across to it..

You need to setup your wireless access point to NOT act as a DHCP server. Disable that, and your laptop should get a 192.168.1.X IP address.

Rule of thumb - only have ONE DHCP server for your home network. It simplifies EVERYTHING... :P

I'm trying that but its not working at all, It says its connected but no internet or I can't ping the other PCs

What IP do you have when you're connected? What kind of router is it that you're using as an access point?

Why doesn't your current router work with your ISP? If it's a matter of registration, most routers have the ability to mask their WAN MAC address, allowing you to trick your ISP into thinking your wireless router is the same as your current router.