XP Install after using Nlite Fails...

bleech

I used nlite yesterday for the first time in a while. However, all i wanted to do was integrate SP2 and all the Hotfixes with my XP install and do an install like that. No Unattended sscripts, nothing special.

Once i finished with Nlite to get all the stuff in the install, i was able to boot, however, when the install reboots after intial phase and wants to go int othe setup screens..it just says "Windows setup is restarting" and gets stuck in an infinite loop.

Any Ideas?

Is there a better way to do what i need to do?

I tried doing it all manually and creating a bootable CD..but everytime i created a bootable CD, it would say to me "Please insert Windows XP Pro CD into Drive A:" after the initial boot to setup.....

Thanks in advance,

Sean

**EDIT**: I am able to Format, select partition and all, after that reboot is when it goes into a loop..

Edited by bleech

yes, to boot from CD i manually have to do so..by hitting F12 at post screen...im not stuck in that type of loop, the loop occurs AFTER i chose my partition, formatted it, and it reboots to continue into the install (the 39 minutes of bliss..network, time, date, etc....) when it makes that reboot, it gets to some screen that just says "Windows Install is restarting" - BAM! restart...loop!.....

So thats where it left me....

All i did was use nLite to integrate SP2, All Hotfixes, and Create a bootable CD....im not using an scripts, or even an answer file.

reason for whole project:

I just wanted to do this because im getting tired of putting on each hotfix manually when i i get brand new dells in for work, and they need 40 updates out of the box...also....WTF is with the Windows Update...most updates fail, hence me manually doing them...i have heard that M$ is claming its because machines arent faast enough to handle doing the updates online, so they have to do them manually. This is a load of crap..unless ofcourse multiple Dual Core machines are too slow to update...

PS: I have created unattended Install CD's before and not had the problems...though this time around i get stuck in this loop.

Can people please throw some ideas at me... ( known bad hotfixes...? )

Step 1: Install windows and wait for it to go into the reboot loop..then press F8 and select safe mode..then you should be able to login

Step 2: Start/Control Panel/System~right click->properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery~Setttings/Deselect 'Automatically Restart'

Step 3: Now restart windows and boot normally to see if this has fixed your loop problem(ie you should have Blue Screen Error)

Edited by tukbriz

I think I might know what your problem is.

I too have been having this same problem after doing a pretty scaled down version of XP with nLite.

One thing you may not have seen is the message box that is appearing right before the computer reboots.

If you have in fact removed the same process as I did, this could be your problem.

I tested my nLite ISO in VMWare and found this problem, as the actual installation was too fast for me to see the message box text.

The problem: lsass.exe is failing. I have not looked into the solution yet.

Check out this video (not sure if it will work, it's not playing for me) of my VMWare movie capture and see if it is the same for you

http://www.zippyvideos.com/482840012718908...essional_movie/

here's another of the video, dont know if this will work either

http://www.picserver.nl/v/AZD6F152WDVB

Edited by dagon

Looks like I found my problem at least...

I had SFC disabled, and additionally I added these files to the remove box:

sfc.dll

sfc.exe

sfc_os.dll

sfcfiles.dll

Apparently that was causing my lsass.exe failure. I took those files out of the remove box and now it is installing as it should.

This happens to me as well, I did the same thing dagon did with the sfc things but then it wouldn't even compile the iso completely, got to about 80% and failed complaining about the sfc files that I removed.

It partitions the drive, copies the files then reboots, upon reboot it freezes. EVERY thing made by nliteos does this. Even distributed TinyXP cds that work completely fine for other people do the EXACT same thing as the ones I make. Any help on this matter would be very nice, I've been trying to install stripped XP for 3 days now and keep coming accrossed the SAME problem with EVERY thing I do.

It does the same thing as the 2nd video, except instead of something popping up, it just freezes. I've tried to install it at least 10 times in the past 3 days.

My pc specs

Dual Pentium 3 933

512 - 768 MB ram (I have 2 128 sticks that I swap in and out with another pc when I use it)

10gb hdd

nvidia mx440 64mb video card

anything else you need to know let me know. REALLY would like to get this fixed

Edited by GreenSamo

i have just the same problem. I format the HD, winxp copies the instalation files to the HD and reboots. Now it starts up from the HD (to begin winXP instalation interface), but it shows me the message "parameter error" and then reboots. When it loads winxp again, i see the message "the instalation program is restarting the PC...". That's where the process gets stuck (goes in a loop, infinitely) :realmad: .

I instaled hotfixes, IE7, 2 drivers, removed some componets and setted some optimizations. but I dont know what is the problem...

I think I've got the same error...

When all the files for installation are copied, the system reboot, an show the Windows logo, after sometimes I've got a message about a quota and virtual memory(I'm french, and the message is:"le quota des fichiers d'échange de mémoire virtuelle est trop limité pour l'opération", ""The quota of virtual memory swapfiles is too limited for the operation"" may be a poor translation...)

I will try to remove IE7 from the hotfix...

I order the hotfixes by number, not by date. I just click over "hotfix" tab; for example:

kb88123

kb88124

kb89123

kb90123

In this way it worked. But I didnt insert IE7 or any other addon. Only hotfixes.