WINDOWS INSTALLER

tompyro

I HAD AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE ON THE COMPUTER TELLING ME THAT MY TRIAL VERSION OF OFFICE 2003 HAD EXPIRED AND SAID TO CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AND HERE TO DELETE. I CLICKED THE DELETE BUTTON AND NOW HAVE "WINDOWS INSTALLER" POP UP EVERY TIME I OPEN A WINDOW, PROGRAM, EMAIL, ANYTHING AND THEN SAYS "PREPARING TO INSTALL". THEN I HAVE TO WAIT ABOUT 2 MINUTES, MAYBE MORE FOR THAT POPUP TO DISAPPEAR. HOW DO I MAKE THIS PROBLEM GO AWAY?????????????????? :realmad::realmad:

THANKS IN ADVANCE

I HAD AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE ON THE COMPUTER TELLING ME THAT MY TRIAL VERSION OF OFFICE 2003 HAD EXPIRED AND SAID TO CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AND HERE TO DELETE. I CLICKED THE DELETE BUTTON AND NOW HAVE "WINDOWS INSTALLER" POP UP EVERY TIME I OPEN A WINDOW, PROGRAM, EMAIL, ANYTHING AND THEN SAYS "PREPARING TO INSTALL". THEN I HAVE TO WAIT ABOUT 2 MINUTES, MAYBE MORE FOR THAT POPUP TO DISAPPEAR. HOW DO I MAKE THIS PROBLEM GO AWAY?????????????????? :realmad::realmad:

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Please READ THIS.......

Important Warning

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is provided "as is" to help resolve installation problems for programs that use Microsoft Windows Installer. If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other programs. Caution is advised.

On This Page

SUMMARY

Microsoft has updated the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. With the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, you can remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information. You may want to remove the Windows Installer configuration information for your program if you experience installation (Setup) problems. For example, you may have to remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information if you have installation problems when you try to add (or remove) a component of your program that was not included when you first installed your program.

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility does not:

• Remove Windows Installer.

• Remove files of any programs that are installed by Windows Installer, such as Microsoft Office 2003.

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility does:

• Provide a dialog box where you can select one or more programs that were installed by Windows Installer. You select the programs on the Installed Products list in the Windows Installer CleanUp dialog box. After you make this selection, the utility removes only the Windows Installer configuration information that is related to those programs.

• Remove the files and registry settings that make up the Windows Installer configuration information for programs that you select.

If you use this utility to remove the Windows Installer configuration information for your program and you plan to reinstall the program, you should reinstall the program in the same folder where you originally installed it. This prevents duplication of files on your hard disk or disks.

I found this information in the following directory for WIN XP PRO:

C:\Support\Tools

you'll have to run setup in that directory and install, or - you can use Winzip to extract the individual files manually (as the installer may not start/run correctly.

Not sure if it will run on other op's (xp home or vista)

The Nets Edge

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, Msicuu.exe, deletes the configuration data that Windows Installer maintains for a product that it installed, including directories, files, registry subkeys, and registry entries. You can use Msicuu to remove the remnants of a corrupted Windows Installer installation that prevents you from installing a product correctly.

Msicuu provides a dialog box from which you select a Windows Installer installation and execute the command. This method is safer than using Windows Installer Zapper (Msizap.exe), a command-line Windows Installer tool that offers potentially damaging configuation options.

Msicuu is designed to be used only when conventional methods of repairing or removing an installation have failed. Before using Msicuu, use Add or Remove Programs to remove or repair the installation.

Caution

Msicuu can delete installation data that is required by the system. Products installed by Windows Installer might not operate properly after using this tool.

You can use Msicuu to correct the following installation failures.

A Windows Installer installation, uninstallation, or rollback is interrupted or fails unpredictably. Because the installation did not complete successfully, Windows Installer will not uninstall or reinstall the program, or install any another programs.

Registry entries for a product have been deleted or changed, damaging the operation of the products and preventing you from uninstalling or reinstalling the product.

Multiple instances of a setup program are running simultaneously, or an instance of a setup program cannot run.

Concepts

Windows Installer manages the installation and removal of applications on Windows 2000 and Windows XP Professional. Typically, these installations conclude successfully, or are successfully reversed ("rolled back") or repaired. However, in rare situations, an installation, a rollback, or an uninstallation fails, leaving installation files and registry entries that would otherwise be removed. As long as these objects remain on the system, Windows Installer considers the installation to be active and incomplete.

Because Windows Installer conducts only one installation at a time, it will not start an installation until all indicators of the active installation are removed. You can use Msicuu to delete the configuration data remaining from a failed installation, thus allowing you to reinstall the product.

System Requirements

Msicuu runs on Windows 2000 and Windows XP Professional.

The user must be a member of the Adminstrators group on the computer.

Msicuu affects only the local computer. You cannot use it to manage a remote computer.

Files Required

Msicuu.exe

Msizap.exe