Domain/DNS synchronisation

Taggs

Here is my scenario. We have a web site on server ‘A’ that people connect to via a DNS entry. Server A’s web site connects to our mainframe via its MAC address through NDIS.

I have set up another server (server ‘B’) exactly the same as server ‘A’. If server ‘A’ fails all I need to do is change the DNS entry to point to server ‘B’ and people can carry on working. My problem is when I change the DNS entry on a domain controller, it takes around 5-10 mins for the four domain controllers to sync.

The DNS TTL is set to 0.

Is there any way to force a windows 2000 domain controller to synchronise its DNS. Or a way of changing all four domain controllers at once? Or a better way to perform this action?

Thanks

Taggs

Does this sync the domain controllers?

I know you can do this on the PC's (250+ PC's is a lot of people to talk through and I want it to look seemless for the user) but if you are not connected to the domain controller that I updated then you have to wait the 5-10mins for the update.

B)

The problems I have is that it takes 5-10mins for the domain controllers to automatically sync :(

I want to be able to make the DNS change and then force/speed-up the update across the controllers so the users are not without the service for any length of time.

I not sure if I am making sense? Please let me know and I will try and explain a little better

Taggs :)

Edited by Taggs

if i Server A is something that is important that it can't be down. wouldn't created some sort of web server farm or clustering the 2 machines so that if Server A was to go down taht Server B would take over and no configuration would need to be done on your part?

I'm in agreement on that suggestion as well. Use Network Load Balancing (assuming the web servers are Windows/IIS).

But, my question about Server A still stands. Is it really crashing that often or is this something you found out during testing?

Thanks for the comments but comments like that are not really helpful at all for getting an answer to my problem. :wacko:

if i Server A is something that is important that it can't be down. wouldn't created some sort of web server farm or clustering the 2 machines so that if Server A was to go down that Server B would take over and no configuration would need to be done on your part?

I have already gone through these solutions and they do not fit this problem. I also know what the problem is (network problem which does not happen very often and of which we have no control and I do not want to go off on a tangent talking about it).

Network load balancing will not work either as IIS site will still be running but mainframe connection dropped, therefore connections will still be put through to a server not working.

I want to provide the best service I can to my users and if I can sort this problem, the service will be improved.

Thanks

Taggs

Edited by Taggs

Active Directory Sites & Services -> Sites -> Default-First-Site-Name -> Servers -> Server you modified -> NTDS Settings -> Right click on each object in the right pane and select "Replicate Now".

OR

You can install Specops Gpupdate and update everything from AD Users and Computers.