7z SFX Modified Module and Tools

Oleg_Sch

@Oleg_Sch and in the future you will improve this option,? and make more stabile like, when you was make the sfx to have the priority to change the icon,( i try in the actual vers and if you change the icon from the sfx will crash out)..

@Oleg_Sch and in the future you will improve this option,? and make more stabile like, when you was make the sfx to have the priority to change the icon,( i try in the actual vers and if you change the icon from the sfx will crash out)..

Now... I can promise only about "full decompression in 'Overwrite' mode".

Change icon...

What module that You use ? Is it compressed by UPX or other packers ? And more details about "crash out".

I'm think, that this is not problems of the module.

You can send me more info to email or PM

i`ll post right here, so i use this module 7zsd_all.sfx and if you upx it and you make some sfx files, and you wanna change the icon or something with the "reshack" it change but if you wanna build an sfx if you open the builded sfx, it crush, like "don`t send".. but if you build an sfx and if you wanna change something, i use in the cmd 'upx -d' for decompressing the module, and then i change the icon, and then i compres it back with the upx, and in this method works property, another think i have been seen is, you have the builded sfx and if you open the builded sfx in res hacker, to change the icon, or even to do nothing an then save it, an then open it, it give`s an "dont` send"

:)

It's not possible to change the icon of an upx'd sfx, so that's normal behaviour...

Also, unless you actually use Deflate or PPMd compression in your sfx's, then you don't need the '7zsd_all.sfx' module and can just stick to '7zsd.sfx', which only supports LZMA decompression, which is 7-Zip's default compression method...

Thx for sharing your work Oleg. I found it very useful.

Hope you'll get time to revive this or any other projects.

NOTE: For the time being, I cannot get to the download page.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on making batch files to be executed while installing windows, pre login, extracting save games to their paths. Typically files that lies under Documents and settings(Users directory).

I also need a pre-install batch file routine to archive savegames (and also configurations). I'm archiving with winrar to extract it to a system path named variable ( %myuser% or %usersdir% f.ex).

As one who re-installs regularly its a pain in the a** to have to take backup of such files all the time, along with adobe settings and so forth.

Any chance of 7z sfx doing this?

• 1 month later...
I got a problem with the icon of the exe when the size of the archive is bigger than ~700mb.

The problem is that the icon gets replaced to the boring "white rectangle".

Is this a bug with 7zSD?

If it's a known bug, is there any way to prevent it?

I remember reading that this is a windows bug, common to all exe's over 700mb.

• 1 month later...

My installer should only run by (-ai1, ai2 ...) command line switches.

If i or somebody just accidently doubleClick the Exe-File, i get an error, that setup.exe could not found.

To avoid this, î insert the line below:

RunProgram="hidcon:nowait:cmd /c dir"

Is there a solution, if i run this SFX by doubleclick (without command line switches) to get an output (error) text, that 'this installer' could only run by command line switches?

Is there a solution, if i run this SFX by doubleclick (without command line switches) to get an output (error) text, that 'this installer' could only run by command line switches?

Yes. For example:

RunProgram="fm20:hidcon:cmd /c echo"
FinishMessage = "ATTENTION!!!\n\nThis installer could only run by command line switches.\n\nWork is interrupted! "

Yes. For example...
Thx, its working great!

Im again and again amazed, what great thing this 'Extractor' is... :sneaky:

Edit: Just for the record :hello: (sorry for OT)

Extractor <= self-extracting archive <=SFX

Edited by Tefole

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a way to recover the embedded config.txt if you no longer have it but still have the executable that was made with it?

Yes. Use 7z SFX Archive splitter (http://7zsfx.info/en).

Thanks, I'll give that a go....

Another question:

How do the commands run? Do they run in the order they are shown in the config? I ask 'cause I'm trying to make an install that may need to overwrite the destination, however, the destination may have file in use. I was thinking, I could do something like below:

RunProgram="batch file to kill my task here"
RunProgram="batch file to clear the destination directory"
InstallPath="extract to the recently cleared destination directory"
RunProgram="batch file to do something else..."
RunProgram="batch file to do something else..."

However, if it reads the config, upon execution and immediately begins to extract to the directory that has files in use, I I'd be screwed.

11-03-08

1724 EDT