Fans still working after shutdown, PC won't power down

Messerschmitt

not sure what to say about the staying on, however when you use the PSU I/O switch, its technically safe, however when you turn it back on, and lights blick etc, its because theres a 5v line that triggers the computer to turn on, the computer is telling you that the 5v is good.

if you push the power button once [not hold it down] after turning off, what happens?

Disconnect every extra device (CD Drives, floppy, fans except CPU fan, etc). Remove any extra cards except video. Use a wired mouse and different keyboard. Now what happens? If it works OK, add one thing back at a time and test until you find the culprit.

Disconnect every extra device (CD Drives, floppy, fans except CPU fan, etc). Remove any extra cards except video. Use a wired mouse and different keyboard. Now what happens? If it works OK, add one thing back at a time and test until you find the culprit.

nothing like that would cause the system to stay on, i'm almost willing to bed its an ACPI issue [however i'm no gambler].

my old server does it, computers at my school do it, i'm sure its no different. you just need to push the power button once.

however, that leaves me to wonder what a different power button would do for the situation.

nothing like that would cause the system to stay on, i'm almost willing to bed its an ACPI issue [however i'm no gambler].

my old server does it, computers at my school do it, i'm sure its no different. you just need to push the power button once.

however, that leaves me to wonder what a different power button would do for the situation.

I would not bother to post this advice unless I had already solved this exact problem using this exact procedure. It may not work for him, but it also might work for him.

Make sure that you install the latest intel chipset drivers. APM and ACPI functions are controlled through system drivers which are installed as part of the chipset drivers. Make sure that APM or ACPI is enabled in the BIOS as well as making sure that it's enabled in the Power Management section of the Windows control panel.

I have installed the chipsets from gigabyte website over the chipset that came with the mobo CD, no difference.

What exactly can I do with the tree under computers at ACPI multiprocessor PC?

And there is no other troubleshot for this ACPI? some sort of manual configuration?

If the computer is turned off (power off) it starts again. if it's turned off (but power still on) it does nothing. Keeping pressing the reset tho I remember it booted again.

Your computer may be crashing when you are shutting it down. Right-click on My Computer, then choose Properties. From there, go to the Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section. In the section marked System failure, remove the check next to Automatically restart. This will allow you to see if whether or not this is the case.

Edited by jcarle

If the computer is turned off (power off) it starts again. if it's turned off (but power still on) it does nothing. Keeping pressing the reset tho I remember it booted again.

This is telling me that the system is still "on", but not doing anything. Try clearing your CMOS. I'm wondering if there's something strange in your BIOS settings that's preventing the system from turning off properly.

@bonnestone - If the PSU keeps it's own fan running, then that's one thing, but the fans that are connected to molex connectors or the motherboard headers couldn't have power unless the rest of the system is running.

Make sure your BIOS is up to date with the latest revision (F4 according to the Gigabyte website).

Make sure Windows has the latest updates installed, including SP2 and all the current updates up to now.

Make sure you have all the drivers installed for all your hardware (Check the hardware manager in system properties and make sure that there are no yellow exclamation points).

Make sure none of your components are overheating (especially the CPU).

Try seeing if you still have this issue using the on-board video instead of the XFX card you have.

And like asked above, what power supply are you using? Brand? Model? New or old?

I would concentrate on two things:

1. Fans wired inproperly - i.e. in another connector not meant for them - either bypassing power management features and getting voltage all the time - or to some temp monitoring sensor that has wrong readings.

2. BIOS settings - try harder. I doubt this could be caused by anything from the OS.

GL

I would concentrate on two things:

1. Fans wired inproperly - i.e. in another connector not meant for them - either bypassing power management features and getting voltage all the time - or to some temp monitoring sensor that has wrong readings.

2. BIOS settings - try harder. I doubt this could be caused by anything from the OS.

GL

a] Improperly wired fans would not prevent the power supply from powering down.

b] The operating system CAN be responsible. If the operating system is still active after it's supposed to be shutdown and has not properly issued the ACPI/APM commands to turn off the power supply, the power supply will remain active.

Edited by jcarle

I have updated my bios, I have now F4

Windows has the latest updates.

No excalmation marks in windows under hardware manager

I can only have temperature from CPU and it's below 40c so its the system at 44c. But even after I start it after 8 hours it's the same problems.

I don't know if I have a onboard video, nor I think I do.

I have a nMediaPC: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...NMedia%20System, brand new with the system.

Also after now I have changed my CPU, E6750, I updated the BIOS to F4 and loaded default I tested it by going again to Q-Flash and F10 to shut down. As usual it started back on by itself in about 2 seconds (so it shut down completely but started again)

Edit: Do you think it can have anything to do with the front pannel connectors? Such as power switch, reset switch, by not setting them correctly on the correct possitive and negative? All my case wires have their colors for each function + a white whire for each, which I guessed it's the negative so I connected with the white wire on the negative pin. This is correct?

Edited by Messerschmitt

Do you think it can have anything to do with the front pannel connectors? Such as power switch, reset switch, by not setting them correctly on the correct possitive and negative? All my case wires have their colors for each function + a white whire for each, which I guessed it's the negative so I connected with the white wire on the negative pin. This is correct?
There is no polarity for switches. A switch is a switch and simply acts to interupt or continue a loop.

The polarity is only important for LEDs, which in their case, the colored wire is positive and the white wire negative.