New Rig

benheaven1

Just about to order my new machine!

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case

Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream 700w Silent SLI Ready ATX2

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4

RAM: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-5400C5 Dual Channel Vista Upgrade Gold Series DDR2

GPU: Leadtek GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

Hard Drives: 2* Western Digital Raptor 150GB WD1500ADFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache OEM

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S203BEBN 20x20 DVD±RW Dual Layer Serial ATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM

Monitor: BenQ FP241W 24" Widescreen HDMI/HDCP LCD HD Monitor

TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1100 Freeview TV Tuner

Operating System:Vista Business 32bit

Any changes that anyone can recommend before I order this lot tomorrow

Cheers

Ben

if you're getting 4 gigs of RAM, you'll need a 64bit OS to see it all.

32bit Operating systems have trouble seeing over 3gb of RAM, depending on the specific OS, sometimes less.

quad core is a little over-rated right now, most apps [even the new ones] are just starting to adapt to dual core, so you'lre hardly ever going to utilize all 4 cores. gaming can hardly touch more than 2 cores, i have a dual Xeon rig and this dual core rig...all the games i've ever played are at their peak in these rigs...it 4 cores, the games don't get any faster.

that comp is going to rock.

but you do need a 64bit OS.

you may want to get an 8800gtx, not ultra. not too much of a difference in performance.

that monitor is also very expensive.. why not get something cheaper? you can get some excellent 24" lcds for under 350$.

for the mobo, that gigabyte is a good one and so is the ABIT IP35 Pro, take a look at it if you want to.

with the money you save on the video card and monitor you could invest in some nice water cooling if you really want to. the Q6600 and 8800gts get really hot and water helps alot. or you could just pocket the money :)

if you dont want to go water then you really need to get a high quality heatsink for the Q6600, as i've already said it can get really hot.

edit:wow i did not realize that the monitor you picked out is 1920 x 1200! i would still recommend getting the 8800gtx tho, and just overclock it if needed.

Edited by ripken204

How are you going to configure the two Raptors? If you're going for RAID1, then I'd highly recommend getting another drive for storage.

Also - get the Pioneer DVR-112D or DVR-212D. Nothing else compares... and the difference between 18x and 20x is negligible. I never burn at anything over 8x anyways - anything more results in a lower quality burn.

I have got Vista Business 64bit so I might try that and see how I go.

The reason for the Quad Core Processor and Geforce 8800GTX Ultra is because I'm getting a very good deal with the price of the ultra being the same as the 8800GTX and the processor coming under a standard 6600.

The Two Raptors are going to be configured in RAID 0! I have got a dedicated Windows 2003 Server R2 with 1.5TB of storage for files.

The Monitor that I'm getting has Full HD Support (1080p) where as the Dell one I was looking at didn't.

Edited by benheaven1

if you're getting 4 gigs of RAM, you'll need a 64bit OS to see it all.

32bit Operating systems have trouble seeing over 3gb of RAM, depending on the specific OS, sometimes less.

It does NOT depend on the OS. Even with 64-bit you aren't really getting that memory back.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=97580

The Monitor that I'm getting has Full HD Support (1080p) where as the Dell one I was looking at didn't.
The new 2407WFP-HC does support 1080p as well as HDCP. The non-HC version didn't support either of those features. They don't sell the non-HC version anymore. I have the non-HC version (bought it a couple of months ago). I do not regret that decision at all. Edited by nmX.Memnoch

I have got Vista Business 64bit so I might try that and see how I go.

I don´t know what games you are going to play, but don´t you have a XP license as well? I would use both OSes if I were you...

Other then that, great machine, that BENQ screen, saw it and loved it and could be one of my next screens as well :).

When you get a Vista license you get both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. However, once you decide which instruction set you're going to use, that's what you're stuck with. You can't (read: aren't supposed to be able to) switch from 32-bit to 64-bit once you've activated the key.