A problem with freshly installed XP

visa tapani

edit:

The original post is now only partly relevant, so I wrapped it in quotes and rewrote the error description here:

I just installed XP from scratch to my Asus laptop. I did it with a FPP retail XP Pro cd where I had overwritten the dpcdll.dll, oembios.bin, oembios.cat, oembios.sig, oembios.dat, setupp.ini, pidgen.dll, setupreg.hiv files with those from my recovery disc in order to preserve OEM pre-activation. The I incorporated SP2 with nLite and burned to disc. An irritating problem however is bugging me:

Everytime I shutdown the computer, I get the message: "shutdown program: available networks". After a while it shuts down, but it takes a long time. Why could this be?

I just installed XP from scratch to my Asus laptop. I did it with a FPP retail XP Pro cd where I had overwritten the dpcdll.dll, oembios.bin, oembios.cat, oembios.sig, oembios.dat, setupp.ini, pidgen.dll, setupreg.hiv files with those from my recovery disc in order to preserve OEM pre-activation. Then I did some nLiting, incorporated SP2, removed a couple of thigs, disabled a few services and burned to disc. I'm encountering a bunch of problems, though:

1.) During the installation stage, everything went fine until at the end of the process it stopped at 'finishing installation' -'saving settings' stage (installation time left: 9 minutes). (I could move the mouse cursor and the info texts were changing, so it didn't freeze per se.) Any idea what could have caused this? I left it running for the entire night but it didn't proceed. I then restarted the computer and it finished the installation and everything seemed relatively normal. Could this thing have done some damage?

Now I'm having a few problems:

2.) Everytime I shutdown the computer, I get the message: "shutdown program: available networks". After a while it shuts down, but it takes a long time. Could this problem be because I have disabled some relevant services, and if so, what services are relevant for this? (See list of disabled services below). It also seems to take a long time for the local area network to fetch the net-adress (bad translation from finnish to english, sorry)...

3.) Everytime I turn on Windows I get an error message saying that a modem device cannot be installed - there is a missing part in a INF-file. What does this mean? I think I removed 'modem' driver with nLite, but I thought it doesn't matter as I installed a new driver from my Asus drivers cd. I don't really need the modem anyway (I think?) but it's irritating that the message pops up everytime I start windows, is there a way to disable it? Could this also be connected with disabled services?

4.) Also everytime I start Windows it tries to run programs UIUCU.EXE and UIUCU2.EXE from a temp directory of my documents and settings folder (again, check the image). Any idea what this might be? Maybe it's some driver I tried to install from my Asus driver cd that cannot finish installation because of disabled services? This is also irritating, how can I prevent this from running everytime I start the computer?

Here's a list of services I have disabled:

Application Layer Gateway Service

Alerter

Ati HotKey Poller

Automatic Updates

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Error reporting service

Indexing Service

Messenger

Net Logon

Net Meeting Remote Desktop Share NetMeeting

Network Provisioning Service

Performance Logs and Alerts

Qos RSVP

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Remote Registry

Server

Smart Card

Smart Card Helper

System Restore Service

TCP/IP NETBIOS helper Service

Telnet

Terminal Services

Uninterruptible power supply

Webclient

Computer Browser

Distributed Link Tracking Client

Fast User Switching Compatibility

Fax

IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service

Internet Connection Firewall ICF / Internet Connection Sharing ICS

Internet-yhteyden palomuuri ICF / Internet...

Machine Debug Manager

Network DDE DSDM

Network Location Awareness NLA

NT LM Security Support Provider

System Event Notification

Portable Media Serial Number

ClipBook

Cryptographic Services

Distributed Transaction Coordinator

Help and Support

Telephony

Themes

Application Management

HID Input Service

Human Interface Device Access

IAS Jet Database Access

Network DDE

Routing and Remote Access

Secondary Logon

Virtual Disk Service

Windows User Mode Driver Framework

WMI Performance Adapter

Which of these could have a connection with the problems I'm having?

I'm using normal networking (firefox+thunderbird), some torrents and p2p software, some audio-software and a bunch of normal home computer stuff. Should I re-enable some of those services?

Thanks in advance

Edited by visa tapani

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I probably have gone further than I should have in removing things. The problem with the 'data fax modem' installation is probably because to the modem component removed. However, I haven't actually removed almost any services, save a couple of the ones I thought were quite safe. The services listed earlier are just those I have disabled - they can easily be turned back on. Because the list is long, I was just hoping someone could point out which ones I should try first. Also, I don't think I'll ever need the modem component, so the only problem there is that Windows keeps bugging me about it, and I'd like to stop that...

I did as you suggested and did a fresh install without touching the 'remove components' part of nLite. It's working well now, except one of the problems still remains:

Everytime I shutdown the computer, I get the message: "shutdown program: available networks". After a while it shuts down, but it takes a long time. No services are disabled now so that can't be the reason. Networking seems to work otherwise as usual, but this bugs me. Any hints what I could try to get rid of this problem?

Yep, I'm using the same drivers. I just reinstalled my LAN and bluetooth drivers (I used the same version, though) but nothing changed. In safe mode or safe mode with networking I do not get the problem.

I'm thinking it has maybe something to do with WLAN or Bluetooth, as when I toggle them on and off I sometimes do not get the problem when shutting down. However I can't perceive a logic which component it is and when exactly the problem disappears...