KB 936357.

WDGC

The most recent MS Updates gave KB 936357 as an update I should apply. However, my processor is a Pentium IV - should I still apply the update?

KB 936357

A microcode reliability update is available that improves the reliability of systems that use Intel processors

Q: Which Intel processors are affected?

A: Although these issues are uncommon, the following Intel processors may be affected:

• Mobile: Intel Core 2 Duo mobile processor.

• Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo desktop processor, Intel Core 2 Quad desktop processor, and Intel Core 2 Extreme processor.

• Server: Intel Xeon processors 3000, 3200, 5100, and 5300 series.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936357#

Yea, thats been showing up on just about every celeron, pentium III, IV that I've scanned for updates on. I installed it without any ill effects. Microsoft would be in quite the pickle pushing this out to people that didn't need it and it wound up screwing a up an assload of PCs.

... I always though Microcode was embedded in the cpu itself ...

From the link I posted:

Microcode updates are actually pretty common. However, they have traditioinally been done through a BIOS upgrade, included in other changes in BIOS code scheduled by the manufacturer.

It is the popularity of Notebooks, and the popularity of Dual-Cores in newer Notebooks, that led Dell to push Intel to convince Microsoft to push this through Microsoft Updates instead of the more traditional route. It is much harder to create a suitable enviornment for a BIOS flash in a floppy-less notebook.