Black Screen with Blinking Cursor

Scr1ptW1zard

I am creating an unattended Windows Server 2003 installation process using WinPE 2.0. I have been testing the process on virtual systems to get the process working just the way I need it. Works perfectly every time. Moved on to one of our physical systems, an IBM x3500. Ran into some driver issues, which I expected, and integrated the drivers into my process as needed. Again, process works great on the IBM x3500. I thought I had it all figured out, until I ran the process on several of our IBM x3550 systems, the headaches began, the frustration level rose, and after a week of failure and disappointment, I gave up. :wacko: Until now...

My process is as follows:

1. Boot to WinPE environment
  2. Request server information via HTA
  3. Create RAID configuration and logical drives
  4. Partition Drives
  5. Format Partitions (NTFS)
  6. Copy supporting files to system partition
  7. Initiate Windows Installation (C:\support\i386\winnt32.exe /syspart:c: /noreboot /s:C:\support\i386 /unattend:c:\support\winunatt.ini)

That is the basic flow, it is more detailed by irrelevant to the issue I am having (I think). Through this point everything functions properly. At this point the system reboots, performs post, then at the point that it should boot and begin text mode setup, I get a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. No error message. No attempt to boot any other device. I have been struggling with this problem for about two weeks now. I have tried the following suggestions found in this forum:

• Using "align=16065" with diskpart when creating partitions
  • Adding the registry changes to WinPE prior to issuing diskpart
    reg load HKLM\PE-SYS c:\Winpe\Mount\Windows\system32\config\system
    Reg Add "HKLM\PE-SYS\ControlSet001\Services\vds\Alignment" /t Reg_Dword /v LessThan4GB /d 0 /f
    Reg Add "HKLM\PE-SYS\ControlSet001\Services\vds\Alignment" /t Reg_Dword /v Between4_8GB /d 0 /f
    Reg Add "HKLM\PE-SYS\ControlSet001\Services\vds\Alignment" /t Reg_Dword /v Between8_32GB /d 0 /f
    Reg Add "HKLM\PE-SYS\ControlSet001\Services\vds\Alignment" /t Reg_Dword /v GreaterThan32GB /d 0 /f
    reg unload HKLM\PE-SYS

• Formatting to FAT32 instead of NTFS

The IBM systems I am using have different RAID controllers, but use the same drivers. The IBM x3500 has a ServeRAID 8k, where as the IBM x3550 has a ServeRAID 8k-l, Both are manufactured by Adaptec and I have obtained the latest drivers. I have also updated the firmware on the IBM x3550's RAID controller. I can successfully install Windows Server 2003 from CD using the same drivers.

If I boot back into WinPE, I can browse the directory structure of the local disks and see all the files just as I should. I am stumpped! I'm sure I am missing something basic, any help would be appreciated.

reg load HKLM\PE-SYS c:\Winpe\Mount\Windows\system32\config\system
Reg Add "HKLM\PE-SYS\ControlSet001\Services\vds\Alignment" /t Reg_Dword /v LessThan4GB /d 0 /f
Reg Add "HKLM\PE-SYS\ControlSet001\Services\vds\Alignment" /t Reg_Dword /v Between4_8GB /d 0 /f
Reg Add "HKLM\PE-SYS\ControlSet001\Services\vds\Alignment" /t Reg_Dword /v Between8_32GB /d 0 /f
Reg Add "HKLM\PE-SYS\ControlSet001\Services\vds\Alignment" /t Reg_Dword /v GreaterThan32GB /d 0 /f
reg unload HKLM\PE-SYS

This code is meant to be used when building your winpe2 image, not once the Winpe2 has loaded into memory.

To run this code once winpe2 is up and running, run this code:

Reg Add "HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vds\Alignment" /t Reg_Dword /v LessThan4GB /d 0 /f
Reg Add "HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vds\Alignment" /t Reg_Dword /v Between4_8GB /d 0 /f
Reg Add "HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vds\Alignment" /t Reg_Dword /v Between8_32GB /d 0 /f
Reg Add "HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vds\Alignment" /t Reg_Dword /v GreaterThan32GB /d 0 /f

I saw your exact problem back in December, but after using this method I have not seen it on any systems since. There is also a hotfix released by microsoft for this issue. I'll post the number on Monday, don't have it here.

Jazkal,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I am aware that the registry entries are to be added to my WinPE image, that is how I have implemented them. When I boot to the WinPE environment, I can launch regedit and see that the values are indeed set, so I thought this was correct.

I believe you are referring to KB931761. I have obtained the hotfix and integrated this to the setup files for the Windows Server 2003 installation. Same problem...

I guess my most frustrating aspect is that I am having the problem with only one type of system. I am going to move onto other systems next week to see if I get any other results.

Other thoughts are welcome...

Edited by Scr1ptW1zard

I have done some further testing the last couple of days, but the results are the same.

I removed the registry entries from the WinPE boot CD and used the Windows source files with the hotfix applied.

No change in the result.

I added the registry entries to the WinPE boot CD and used an unpatched Windows source files.

Again, no change.

I have also tried using both the registry entries and the hotfix together, but still no luck.

I have contacted my IBM technical representative to see if they could duplicate what I am experiencing. I have no idea when or if I will receive any feedback, so I welcome all suggestions.

Thanks Jazkal, I went back and created a WinPE 1.6 CD. At first I was receiving the same result, but then I recalled the need for the MbrFix utility. Once I added that back into the scripts, the WinPE 1.6 CD worked like a charm. I have not went back to the WinPE 2.0 build yet as there are more utilities that I require to perform the unattended build available under the Windows Server 2003 OS that is not available (yet) for Vista.

Something to test:

Doesn't the Bootsect utility provided with WinPE 2.0 perform the same function as MbrFix?

My WinPE 2.0 build contains the following after formating the disks:

bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL

My WinPE 1.6 build contains the following after formating the disks:

MbrFix.exe /drive 0 fixmbr /yes

Thanks for your suggestions.

My WinPE 1.6 build contains the following after formating the disks:

MbrFix.exe /drive 0 fixmbr /yes

I've never had to add this to my WinPE1.6 installs.

Are you having to add this to all of your installs, or just on some hardware?

I am adding this to all my installs. I currently have only used this build on some newer IBM System X servers (x3500 & x3550) and my virtual (VMware) test servers. Without this, I experience the black screen, but all files can be seen just fine while under WinPE.

IBM provides a scripting utility toolkit for creating the WinPE 1.6 environment. I was surprised that using this utility without modification, did not work without the addition of the MbrFix utility. Once added, my scripts perform as they should.

Previously I had been using a DOS-based server provisioning process and did not experience this problem until I started migrating to the WinPE environment. The WinPE environment provides everything that my DOS-based process performed and much more.

Thanks again.

Attached are the actual scripts used for each process.

There is some commenting in the scripts, let me know if you have any specific questions concerning what is being performed.

I still need to add some error checking, but the scripts perform as intended.

crtdisks.cmd - Create disk partitions based on number of disks and specified options.

fmtdisks.cmd - Format partitions based on OS and number of partitions.

Variables in the scripts are as follows:

netdsk - Mapped drive to distribution share. (N:)

sn - Serial Number of system being provisioned.

crtdisks.cmd

fmtdisks.cmd

Edited by Scr1ptW1zard

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am getting exactly the same kind of problems with an HP ML350G5 (With an E200i RAID controler).

The funny thing is that, when i restart immediately the server after a first DISKPART/FORMAT and continue to process my install with strictly the same script works absolutely fine (again Destroy/Built RAIDS, DISKPART, FORMAT, then, copy files, run UNATTEND install).

My RAID config is 2*RAID1 (2 LUNs) and 1*RAID5 (1 LUN)

I've found one reproductible thing :

- If I just destroy the RAIDs and rebuild strictly the sames ones, the install process will perform perfectly on the first WINPE2 boot.

- If I destroy the RAIDs then build a new and different one (a single RAID5 with all my disks) or use totaly brand new disks, then the install process will have to be restarted after a first Destroy/Build RAIDs/DISKPART/FORMAT to be OK.

If someone has any idea

Thanks in advance

Hervé