VistaTweaker

ajua

at launch vistatweaker does some readings in the registry
How about checking displaying the current state of the tweaks when the program started. For example, if UAC is already disabled when VistaTweaker open up it would show the Disable UAC box already has a check mark in the box.

yep not much good if it can't read/write and also disable the same. gives one a sense of where they are in case they have trouble to disable certain things instead of trashing the whole thing.

there are so many keys in the reg(270,000 + ) and with Vistas registry virtualization it becomes harder. I use more than 4 different methods to extract/write info myself

I'd suggest you start doing that right away instead of waiting, then it becomes second hand to add both a read and a write at the same time and to tick the checkboxes. Trust me. I been there and catching up is no fun. took me several weeks

yep not much good if it can't read/write and also disable the same. gives one a sense of where they are in case they have trouble to disable certain things instead of trashing the whole thing.

there are so many keys in the reg(270,000 + ) and with Vistas registry virtualization it becomes harder. I use more than 4 different methods to extract/write info myself

I'd suggest you start doing that right away instead of waiting, then it becomes second hand to add both a read and a write at the same time and to tick the checkboxes. Trust me. I been there and catching up is no fun. took me several weeks

i know, i have been testing some things and realize that i better finish the reading code before moving on. you are right about catching up...

thanks for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

well?

you gettin there elajua? need any help just ask, maybe someone can answer. used your app on my Bros laptop since it was a clean OEM and combined with quite a few of my own surefire speedups made it a much happier camper

well?

you gettin there elajua? need any help just ask, maybe someone can answer. used your app on my Bros laptop since it was a clean OEM and combined with quite a few of my own surefire speedups made it a much happier camper

glad your brother's comp is running smoothly.

im currently testing the initial readings for all tweaks and implementing some functions for it. the only help i need is to find more tweaks for vista since many of the ones i had with xp don't work.

i got the tweaks collection from this forum but many of them are for xp only. nevertheless im researching my self to find more.

• 2 weeks later...

Vista Tweaker is a great app! I did come across one problem. I used the remove WMP contect menu items and after that I could no longer open media files from Win Explorer. Open with worked ok. I tried re-associating the file types and mo go. Luckily I found a solution to fix (undo) the tweaks.

Start > Run>

regsvr32 wmpshell.dll

I'm sure other people have already requested the ability to undo/restore tweaks. Anyway, thought I would post this in case someone else experiences this problem.

i didn't experience that in my tests but thanks for posting that out. im making the registry readings before i move on so i would look into your problem when i get there.

thanks for the feedback.

• 1 month later...

Nice program.

Got a problem.

When I save the settings that I changes, I get a message "Access to registry key is denied". I am an administrator. None of my settings are changed.

This is what I want to get rid of!

Can you help?

Hey good work :thumbup

Detection of Remove shortcut overlay & Remove "Shortcut to..." doesnt work. how do i know? i have them both disabled but they wasnt ticked when i opened Vista Tweaker.

Edited by legolash2o

Nice program.

Got a problem.

When I save the settings that I changes, I get a message "Access to registry key is denied". I am an administrator. None of my settings are changed.

This is what I want to get rid of!

Can you help?

i already responded to you (i think you are masterblaster) in my site.

I will look starting tomorrow for a way to read a random registry key that is used in the security center notifications tweak. But i need to find a way to do it on every computer computer that vistatweaker is ran.

will post when i solved that.

Hey good work :thumbup

Detection of Remove shortcut overlay & Remove "Shortcut to..." doesnt work. how do i know? i have them both disabled but they wasnt ticked when i opened Vista Tweaker.

thanks for the feedback. Those two tweaks were intentionally left out of the checking because im trying other ways to achieve what i want.

i responded to your PM.

• 2 months later...

just playing with your program and it looks good but i found a problem

on the Windows UI tab, when i check "Remove My Sharing Folders" Apply it, Uncheck it and Apply again I get an Unhanded exception saying "Cannot delete a subkey tree because the subkey does not exist."

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Cannot delete a subkey tree because the subkey does not exist.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.DeleteSubKeyTree(String subkey)
at VistaTweaker.frmMain.ApplyToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.MenuStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
VistaTweaker
Assembly Version: 0.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 0.5.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/User/Desktop/VistaTweaker%200.5%20Beta.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

also there is a type on that same tab "unknow file extentions"

I love the "folder list" and the "take ownership" context menu options which as i type this, I am noticing its referred to as "Directory List" in the application but "Folder List" on the context menu

as for settings that you could add how about

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers (i've had this issue on cisco and linksys)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Enable Glass on non Aero card

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\DWM

EnableMachineCheck=0 DWORD (32bit)

Enable hold shift for slow Aero animations

KCU\Software\Microsoft\DWM

AnimationsShiftKey=1 DWORD (32bit)

Show Administrator on login screen

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Administrator=1 DWORD (32bit)

NoGUIBoot (alternate boot screen)

• 2 weeks later...

sorry i couldn't reply earlier. i have been busy.

i will correct the sharing folders issues as soon as i have the time.

there are many more tweaks im working on, including the ones you posted.

thanks for taking the time to post your findings and for sending feedback.

• 4 months later...