VistaTweaker

ajua

Hi,

Nice update!

You should let the user cancel the "Force Registry Reload".

Also, yes you ask if user wish to quit via the exit button, but not the X.

Simple enough. ;)

Private Sub frmMain_Closing(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs) Handles MyBase.Closing

' Display a MsgBox asking the user to save changes or abort.
If MessageBox.Show("Sure you wish to quit?", "VistaTweaker", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo, MessageBoxIcon.Question) = DialogResult.Yes Then

Also, that would be nice if the tooltips where instead displayed under Description as well. Makes it more user friendly.

I always think it is more friendly to disable buttons when they are useless. For example, disable the Clear Tab button when the user has already clicked it. Same goes with Check All, Uncheck All, etc. Makes everything more obvious to the user on how everything works. At least in my humble opinion. ;)

Just noticed the "drag image" on bottom right of window next to Read... . This makes the user think you can change the size of the window when you can not. Perhaps you are working on that? Just checking...

Like how everything dims out when you view about. But perhaps dim the tabs as well, that is System, Windows UI, etc. Would be even prettier. lol

Edited by war59312

Hi,

Nice update!

You should let the user cancel the "Force Registry Reload".

Also, yes you ask if user wish to quit via the exit button, but not the X.

Simple enough. ;)

Also, that would be nice if the tooltips where instead displayed under Description as well. Makes it more user friendly.

I always think it is more friendly to disable buttons when they are useless. For example, disable the Clear Tab button when the user has already clicked it. Same goes with Check All, Uncheck All, etc. Makes everything more obvious to the user on how everything works. At least in my humble opinion. ;)

Just noticed the "drag image" on bottom right of window next to Read... . This makes the user think you can change the size of the window when you can not. Perhaps you are working on that? Just checking...

Like how everything dims out when you view about. But perhaps dim the tabs as well, that is System, Windows UI, etc. Would be even prettier. lol

i just forgot to ask when closing via X button ;)

do you mean to display tooltips AND also put it on the description?. i wasn't sure if the tooltips for the textboxes were right. maybe i wash them away and only use the description box just like all the other control. perhaps i can show tooltips only in the top menu and the buttons in the bottom on the window.

about the resize gripe, was another detail i didn't take into account.

if i disable the buttons and the menus i have to write more code, thus having some duplicate code here and there to do that. and as im using the check/uncheck tab buttons apart from the tab you're in (they are not inside the tab controls) i have to rewrite some things. im leaving them the way they are, but i appreciate your concern and your comments.

the window wim is part of about msgbox behavior but im working to implement that on the other prompts i ask with msgboxes...

thanks again.

ps: already working on next release :)

That's great!

(; Where is the multilanguage support? I will be happy to help you with the Turkish translation of VistaTweaker.

with regards,

Kenan Balamir

i have some guys that offered to tranlate it to other languages already. but i want to get it more completely done before translating.

i will post when i when begin translating it. i appreciate your offer.

Out of curiosity, why does the tweaker attempt to access the Internet?

it doesn't have any connect feature. are you sure is my program? have you checked where is trying to connect to? please pm or send me an email so i can check it. maybe you have some registry guard or something and you got a warning when it tried to write/read the registry.

Out of curiosity, why does the tweaker attempt to access the Internet?

it doesn't have any connect feature. are you sure is my program? have you checked where is trying to connect to? please pm or send me an email so i can check it. maybe you have some registry guard or something and you got a warning when it tried to write/read the registry.

See the pic.

post-146436-1185739163_thumb.png

It seems to work just fine without access - but this is Windows Live Once Care firewall doing the talking....so it might, in fact, be a registry guard....Does Beta 0.2 read the registry and fill in tweaks already enabled?

I haven't looked to see *where* it is accessing, yet, but I can do so. Incidentally, this occurs regardless of whether I run it from inside the RAR or extract it to any location and run it...

Edited by John L. Galt

OK, now this is weird. The first time I ran it extracted to the directory, it asked (see screen shot) and I selected ask again later. Well, I have run it several times more and it is not asking.

However, I saw in my WLOC settings that I have it set to ask me about every application - so it might be asking since it is a new, unrecognized app.

The strange thing is that the prompt always occurs if I open it directly from the RAR....

ok, i see.

don't worry, there is nothing inside my program that tries to connect to the internet.

at launch vistatweaker does some readings in the registry, that's normal. maybe WLOC shows you a prompt when open it from inside RAR file because when you open a file from inside an archive it decompresses it to temp folder then launch it. maybe due to this that you get a prompt from WLOC. the strange thing is that it should inform you what kind of thing the program is doing (connecting, modifying, reading the registry, etc).

if you are still weary about this, try it on another computer with other firewall/antivirus.

I have tried downloading this utility several times but the compressed .rar file appears to be corrupt. It cannot be opened by WinRAR, Stuffit or 7-Zip.

have you tried another program like 7-zip or winzip? you're the first person i heard about that has a problem with the rar file.

@elajua - worried is one thing I am not - I was curious, more than anything else, but now since I seem to have found the reason why WLOC keeps prompting me, I am fine. At least it *does* prompt me....

Oh, and no probs with the .rar on my end

@elajua - worried is one thing I am not - I was curious, more than anything else, but now since I seem to have found the reason why WLOC keeps prompting me, I am fine. At least it *does* prompt me....

Oh, and no probs with the .rar on my end

have you found the reason? can you post it? some friends are using WLOC and i would like to know if you know why it prompted you.

thanks for the feedback.

lmfao - Ummm, OK. So, a person without Tablet PC who is not going to use either the native Windows Snippet tool nor Voice Recognition software should still leave Tablet PC Service running?

I suggest that you begin to understand a *very* simple and basic concept regarding computers:

No two computers are exactly alike, because you have all sorts of different hardware, all sorts of differnet software, and all sorts of differnet *users* and *uses* for computers.

If someone has Vista but does not like Aero (why I wouldn't know) shouldn't have to keep running services that relate specifically to Aero only. If someone is not getting on the Internet with the machine, then why bother having IPSEC related, IPv6 related, Remote Login / Desktop, and any one of several other services running? If someone is going to use their computer for gaming, and LAN parties, then why bother with services that don't directly affect such hobbies?

You should possibly understand that most knowledgeable computer users strive to get the best performance out of their machines - and that Micro$oft, in its infinite wisdom, still cannot predict *every* use, scenario, end-user, or profile that can possibly exist - so they create a nice balanced (uh, yeah....) set of services that are enabled by default so n00bs can get stuff up and running in not time.

Remember Windows XP / XP SP1? The Windows Messenger service was *on* by design from Microsoft - but that turned out to be a very nasty way for the end-user to get a system (at least) troubled by Net Send alerts and (at worst) get their PC's security compromised. Now, remember SP2? Microsoft turned off (disabled) by design *that very same service*.

So, for you to go trolling around saying that services should be left alone shows, in fact, how little you really understand regarding computers, their users, and their uses.

owned.gif

at launch vistatweaker does some readings in the registry
How about checking displaying the current state of the tweaks when the program started. For example, if UAC is already disabled when VistaTweaker open up it would show the Disable UAC box already has a check mark in the box.

at launch vistatweaker does some readings in the registry
How about checking displaying the current state of the tweaks when the program started. For example, if UAC is already disabled when VistaTweaker open up it would show the Disable UAC box already has a check mark in the box.

i'm working on vistatweaker right now, but im afraid a full read of all the tweaks will have to wait a little longer.

currently i think is more important to offer all sorts of tweaks, but at the same time i'm making some changes to incorporate the startup readings.

thanks for your feedback.