VistaTweaker

ajua

I included system, desktop, start menu, file extensions, services and miscellaneous tweaks ordered in tabs and group boxes.

every tweak has its checkbox and shows its description as text in the bottom of the program.

Feel free to download it and test it.

Last updated: 2007-10-25

VistaTweaker 0.5 Beta

Website

there is a setup for U3 devices that comes with the program.

spanish version on its way.

So, what do you think? any suggestions and comments are welcome...

Edited by elajua

im using visual basic 2005. the program itself now weights about 60kb only...

if someone has any ideas, please share them so i can improve it.

i guess in bout two or three days i can post a beta version of it so anyone willing to prove it can test it. also im working on my website but i will take some more time to get it running.

thanks for the reply.

SP: i dont know if this is the right forum to post this topic, if not, please mods move it...

i always wanted a good services tweaker..perhaps include auto modes that correspond with blackvipers vista services tweak site and an auto reset to defaults mode

for services, im currently thinking on how to implement that because the use of profiles, the checking for each version and other things will take some time. my current goal is to implement at first stage a reading of current installed services and three buttons to allow manual, aumatic, disabled.

the use of profiles is something i will make but for now i want to finish all possible tweaks and then code the services settings.

well bring it on, I've done my own for XP with about 400 I never released but gave a beta out to a few

I'll test it and I do know the reg and stuff pretty good but have been busy with Vista Unattended.

Might try my Jump2Reg which works in Vista but you may have to disable UAC right now since I haven't had time to correct it because of the Vista UA stuff

I've tested about all of them

Edited by maxXPsoft

i will try to release a beta tomorrow so people an actually try it.

iim currently investigating about services and entries that are in vista to figure what they do.

will update my website and this thread as soon as i upload it.

Just don't go the route of X-Teq's X-Setup - they started out free, and then went commercial. Irked me to no end....

But I am working on getting Vista exactly the way I want it, so this current install, you could say, is a beta test, and I am willing to play with settings and whatnot to see if something works or does not work...

Your best bet is to leave the services alone, they're set to their current settings for a very good reason. If you allow the program you're writing to "tweak" or "alter" the services, you'll have a lot of people come complaining to you about why Product X and Product Y doesn't work.

lmfao - Ummm, OK. So, a person without Tablet PC who is not going to use either the native Windows Snippet tool nor Voice Recognition software should still leave Tablet PC Service running?

I suggest that you begin to understand a *very* simple and basic concept regarding computers:

No two computers are exactly alike, because you have all sorts of different hardware, all sorts of differnet software, and all sorts of differnet *users* and *uses* for computers.

If someone has Vista but does not like Aero (why I wouldn't know) shouldn't have to keep running services that relate specifically to Aero only. If someone is not getting on the Internet with the machine, then why bother having IPSEC related, IPv6 related, Remote Login / Desktop, and any one of several other services running? If someone is going to use their computer for gaming, and LAN parties, then why bother with services that don't directly affect such hobbies?

You should possibly understand that most knowledgeable computer users strive to get the best performance out of their machines - and that Micro$oft, in its infinite wisdom, still cannot predict *every* use, scenario, end-user, or profile that can possibly exist - so they create a nice balanced (uh, yeah....) set of services that are enabled by default so n00bs can get stuff up and running in not time.

Remember Windows XP / XP SP1? The Windows Messenger service was *on* by design from Microsoft - but that turned out to be a very nasty way for the end-user to get a system (at least) troubled by Net Send alerts and (at worst) get their PC's security compromised. Now, remember SP2? Microsoft turned off (disabled) by design *that very same service*.

So, for you to go trolling around saying that services should be left alone shows, in fact, how little you really understand regarding computers, their users, and their uses.

Just don't go the route of X-Teq's X-Setup - they started out free, and then went commercial. Irked me to no end....

But I am working on getting Vista exactly the way I want it, so this current install, you could say, is a beta test, and I am willing to play with settings and whatnot to see if something works or does not work...

thanks for the reminder. check my site on the main post to get the first version and try it. there are many things to get done yet but at least can help you tweak some stuff really quick.

Your best bet is to leave the services alone, they're set to their current settings for a very good reason. If you allow the program you're writing to "tweak" or "alter" the services, you'll have a lot of people come complaining to you about why Product X and Product Y doesn't work.

i think that there are pros/cons on messing with services but many users, me involded, want to enalbe/disable everything that suits our likings. i will make a statement for people not to held me responsible for problems on their computers. thanks for the feedback.

:) Thanks for First Beta Release

Let me check the taste of Tweaker utility for Vista

you're welcome. feel free to try it and post your comments. i already added two other tabs and other tweaks but i wont be releasing another version for a few days to wait some feedback.