[GUIDE] Creating WIM images of Windows XP for system deployment using

IcemanND

ICEManND,

It's been awhile....glad to see this thread is still active and the guide is getting better all the time.

To that note...I wanted to let you know, I recently rebuilt my boot cd.

Upon doing so, I used

1. WAIK "Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008"

2. Latest set of LAN and MSD drivers from DriverPacks.net (8.05.3)

When including all the MSD drivers, I experienced a BSOD with a "Bad_pool_header" message.

1. I rebuilt the ISO without any of the MSD's and it worked without any issue.

2. I rebuilt again and excluded "D, D1, D2, D3" drivers directory from the DriverPack MSD set. This solved the issue.

Thought you might want to include an update on page 18 of the guide.

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

@IcemanND

Thank you very much I hope your guide helps us.

@To all

English isn't my power suite, I hope you understand what I need or search!!?? ;)

Did I understand that right, that with this guide I can create a hardware neutral Image with Windows Deployment System?

Please help me if I see this diffrent.

We need to create in our company a hardware neutral image because we have many diffrent hardware and I'm responsible

to found any infomations and manuals to can create this scenario.

Can we inject the drivers in Image from www.driverpack.com? Is this right.

Ad did someone have any experience, did somebody do that befor? If it works? ;)

I need any manual or tutorial, for reading stuff is not a problem only a manual that works!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance for helping me and reading my post!!!

Namaste and friendly greetings from Bulgaria!!!!!!

Elena

No this guide will not walk you through creating a hardware independent image. It just shows you how to use windows imaging to create and deploy an image file. So you don't have to use say Ghost.

What you want to search for would be either "Universal Image" or "hardware independent image" (HII) there are a few way to get there depending upon what you hardware requirements are.

Where I work rather than putting something together ourselves we bit the bullet and purchased the Universal Imaging Utility. They maintain all of the drivers and handle any required HAL changes and if we have a problem they solve it instead of me having to figure out what went wrong.

@IcemanND

Ok, so with Windows Deployment Service I can't made a Hardware independent image only with third party tools like *Universal Imaging Utility*, ok thank you very much for helping me!

Namaste and have a nice day!

Elena

XP images are hardware (HAL, Mass Storage) dependent, but Vista are not. For Vista, generalizing will only remove the display adapter (and unsigned drivers) if redeployed to like hardware.

@IcemanND

Ok, so with Windows Deployment Service I can't made a Hardware independent image only with third party tools like *Universal Imaging Utility*, ok thank you very much for helping me!

Elena

XP images are hardware (HAL, Mass Storage) dependent, but Vista are not. For Vista, generalizing will only remove the display adapter (and unsigned drivers) if redeployed to like hardware.

Probably a little offtopic here, but its relatively easy to swap HALs with DEVCON and VBScript. (I'm sure there are even easier ways, but thats what I used long ago...)

@IcemanND

Elena

Probably a little offtopic here, but its relatively easy to swap HALs with DEVCON and VBScript. (I'm sure there are even easier ways, but thats what I used long ago...)

Yes, this process is covered here as well.

http://www.msfn.org/board/WDS-WinPE-HALs-XP-Vis-t115243.html

• 3 weeks later...

On the one hand I'm happy I found this forum with it's hintful links and it's users and that I found exactly what I was looking for since I'm struggling with XP WIMs for deploying by using SCCM 2007, but on the other hand I'm kind of disappointed since I'm not able to download the guide, because I don't seem to have permission to do so and cannot find a valid hint in help why this problem occurs.

But, well, I'm flicking through the pages of this post and might find some crumbs of informations which I probably can use to finally finish my configuration of SCCM 2007. :)

Nevertheless: a big thanks for the work by making and publishing the guide. :)

help

I have two Computers PC 'A' and PC 'B'

I have Installed Wins Server 2008 and some applications on PC 'A'.

Now I want to make WIM image on Pc 'A', and Apply on the PC 'B'.

I have installed AIK and MDT 2008,

now Please tell me how i do this .

what are the steps .

but my PC 'A' and PC 'B' hardware is different like Graphics card motherboard , When I apply PC 'A' image on PC 'B'

Then the Drivers are not compatible, What is the solution .

You need to add the drivers to the image and preferably sysprep the box before capturing. If you sysprep the box you can add a driver folder to the image or on the network and have sysprep look there for the drivers.

At this point I'd like to thank IcemanND for the great guide.

After having searched for any good tutorials with this I was finally able to create a WIM-file of my XP installation.

Thanks for this ! Great job !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...