[GUIDE] Creating WIM images of Windows XP for system deployment using

IcemanND

DOH, I haven't read the part about startnet.cmd!! **** that was stupid.

<EDIT> Well i've read about the startnet.cmd, I have made the C:\winpe_x86\mount\windows\system32\Winpeshl.ini file.

The myshell.exe, is that the bootmgr.exe that is located under D:\RemoteInstall\Boot\x86\bootmgr.exe?

</EDIT>

Thanks

Philippe Vranken

Belgium :hello:

Edited by Philep

I tried http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3.mspx?mfr=true

But it didn't really work hehe. When i point to WDSBNP.COM i get in a loop hehe. I'm going to start back from 0 and try to follow your guide. Though, when i mount the winpe_x86, i have to make a file "c:\winpe_x86\mount\windows\system32\startnet.cmd". What commands do i have to use to open the GUI so i can finally choose the images that i have made :D

Thanks

Philippe Vranken

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the guide.

My question is whether any of you previously worked with any system other than Windows and WDS in particular. Our environment is solemnly Linux based, and open source always better cause it's free.

Anyway, PXE boot I'm sure can be done via Linux, just looking into ways of deploying it.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am new to imagex and Windows PE and have been struggling with it for days. I have also been trying to use MDT 2008 to deploy Windows XP with no luck (mbr problem I can't get to work). I am in the process of creating my ISO right now.

I just wanted to thank you. I learned a great deal about the whole process already just from going through your instructions. Things I've been trying to figure out...

Steve

I agree. Now that we are using Imagex for production with our new server, I still keep Iceman's guide handy in case I ever need to look at anything. Its better than the OPK documentation and the Vista books we have because its all summarized into one little thing. No need for explaining what a WIM is or why x compression is better than y, etc.

I wanted to thank you for the well-written guide on a technique I didn't even know about. As soon as I find the time I will definitely try it.

Wanted to point out a couple glitches in the document. First one is the following in the Table of contents:

Installing drivers to Windows PE: .............................................................. Error! Bookmark not defined.

But then I'm using FoxIt PDF reader (2.3) so maybe it's just me?

One other detail you may want to change (though it's debatable if changing is necessary) is changing the double quotes in lines like these:

imagex /apply d:\C_Image.wim “Drive C” C:

To the ASCII version (") of double quotes. If someone were to copy/paste directly from the PDF the italicized quotes would show up as a black block or other garbage character. I noticed other places in the document, like the xcopy commands on page 6, you actually do use the ASCII formatted quotes.

The only other subjective suggestion I would make is that of something like an "executive summary". A short paragraph to kind of summarize what you are in essence doing when you create an image this way. In other words when I use the mount command am essentially mounting a volume? Or is that and specific to this one program and has nothing to do with the file system? I mean I write guides and summaries about this stuff anyway because it's just the way I learn new information. And I guess it depends on your target audience. If you wanted to start from perspective of someone who is familiar with concepts but unfamiliar with this new imagex method (like me) it would be better to have a summary like this.

The summary wouldn't be for me, I like following guides anyway. :thumbup

I also noticed one typo but lost track of it some how. If I find it again I'll post it. Again thanks for the great guide!

Edited by subassy

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

In order to be able to mount images in your PE environment, you need to install the wim filter.

I achieved this by adding this line to startnet.cmd.

%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 X:\windows\wimfltr.inf

note: wimfltr.sys needs to be in the same folder as winfltr.inf.

Thank you for the helpful guide.

I had problems with the %architecture% variable in the build_all script. I ended up changing it to x86 and it worked fine. I'm running the latest Windows AIK on an XP Pro SP3 host, shouldn't make any difference.