[GUIDE] Creating WIM images of Windows XP for system deployment using

IcemanND

Let me make it very clear. I had tried 2 make a working WIM twice.

1. Installed Virtual Box in Pentium D 805 based PC, Created VM, Installed XP PRO SP2 with Autopatcher and apps. Sysprepped and Restarted with Win PE 2 disk and created Wim image of it. I used this Image in two Scenarios-

a. I used this image in Virtual Server 2005 R2 (Same machine) and applied it to dynamically expanding VDD and had shown BSOD and immediately restarted.

b. Booted a fresh Dual Core Machine with it and applied the image. It showed BSOD and immediately restarted so dont know the error details.

2. Installed XP PRo sp2 in Compaq C702TU Celeron D Laptop (Disabled the SATA as the lappy didnt had Floppy Drive) and autopatcher etc. Sysprepped it and restarted and booted it with PE2 and created WIM.

I tested this WIM in Virtual Server 2005 R2 and this time it shown Black screen after booting. (I formatted the VDD via Acronis Disk Director)

Where am i Wrong?

Iceman is there any (Working) way to create the XP Wim in VM and use it for Real Machines. As my attempt to create an image in VirtualBox was successful but it after deploying it failed in real machines and Microsft's Virtual Server.

Edited by sunny1552

What do you do in your sysprep process? Are you adding drivers for the real machines before you sysprep? Are you using the BuildMassStorage section in your sysprep.inf? Are you using bootsect.exe to create your boot sector after you format the drive and before you apply the WIM? Your problem lies somewhere in your implementation.

What you need to do is create your image to be a Universal or Hardware independent image. The guide I provide does not do this it only provides you with instructions for a free method of capturing and deploying an image. In a way that is more easily readable and understandable to the general masses than the manuals and instructions provided with the WAIK.

Do a search of the forums or google for 'universal image' or 'hardware independent image' and check that out. There is a lot of information about it here and elsewhere. If you have further questions about a hardware independent image please start a new topic.

@zorphnog

Created Sysprep answer file in setupmgr, copied the sysprep tools in c\sysprep with sysprep answer file. and run the sysprep reseal and restarted, captured the image in Win pe2. Didnt added any device drivers. Didnt used bootsect.exe before before appyying thw WIM.

@IcemanND

Thanks for the info i will check that up. Do u have any good link in mind.

Edited by sunny1552

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Excellent guide I suggest it be stickied! I followed it with no problems and was able to complete it and get a working PE environment on my first try! :) I noticed a couple little things though:

In Build_All.cmd you should remove the space in the SET variable lines, otherwise the oscdimg cmd will fail.

Set PEDest=c:\winpe_x86

set MSDPath=c:\drivers\MSD

set LANPath=c:\drivers\LAN

The cleanup or shrink option for imagex is not included in the Build_All.cmd file:

imagex /boot /export %PEDest%\winpe.wim 1 %PEDest%\shrink.wim

copy %PEDest%\shrink.wim %PEDest%\ISO\sources\boot.wim /Y

Also I had trouble deploying from a network share and had to use "computername\username" or "ip\username" to connect. Not sure of the cause of this but I found some other topics and posts about this problem. I do have SP3 RC on the host machine.

The # of and location of the driverpacks.net mass_storage drivers that cause bootup to hang has changed. Currently "3B, AD8, D" cause problems.

• 3 weeks later...

err did u miss out the part to add imagex? i get imagex is not a reconised ... batch/program error

and i saw that i need to copy it from “C:\Program files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe”? from http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3bc3fa1033.mspx

Copy additional tools such as ImageX into your Windows PE build directory. For example, type:

Copy “C:\Program files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe” C:\WinPE_x86\iso\subfolder

Where subfolder is any folder structure required to support your tools.

so now, do i need to redo every step to add this? i made a winpe_X86.iso already

This guide is great. I am using it to set up images for our new WDS server. THANKS.

Anybody know how I can set up a ghostcast session using the winpe boot on my WDS server. We used to use 3com PXE with the universal packet driver, which would allow us to use ghostcast. I am not sure if the winpe image needs a universal packet driver or not. I tried to load the dos driver, but I am thinking that winpe only allows 32 bit drivers. Any input?

all you should have to do is include the windows 32-bit drivers for your nic(s). and then use the 32-bit version of Ghost and the Ghostcast server (Ghost32.exe and ghstsrv32.exe, might be wrong on the ghostcast exe name) Copy them to the cd as described in the appendix of the guide and launch from the command window and use as you did before.

Cool tutorial! ;)

I've got a question: Can I use this tutorial to deploy an image to several pcs at a time? Which programs let me deploy this image? Can I use it with BDD or later on SCCM (newest SMS2003)?

you can use the image with windows Deployment 4 or build your own image from within it as well.

@ Iceangel89 - Page 6 step 6

You should be able to remount the wim and copy those files. the copy the wim back into the iso folder and recreate the iso.

err u mean that i have to find out whatever services i need? like imagex? i dont see imagex there did i? but anyway i'll try that.

Good guide tho :thumbup