Problem with enter and escape key

nodiaque

Hello everyone, I have a little problem. Sometime (like right now), when I boot up my computer, it refuse to execute enter and escape key. What I mean is for exemple, you go in firefox, enter a search in google and press enter. Nothing happen. You type something into run command and press enter, doesn't do anything. You press escape to shutdown the run prompt, does nothing. In those time, either I say to myself "ok, I'll use the enter key on keypad since this one work" or I need to restart.

Anyone know what the hell is doing that? It's very anoying. It's not a virus or spyware or keylogger since i've checked for that already and it appears randomly. It even happened after a reboot while formating!

Thanks for helping!

First, tell us what kind of keyboard you have. Is it wireless or wired? If it's wireless, try a wired keyboard. If that works you know it's a problem with the wireless keyboard, such as the drivers. If a wired keyboard does same thing, do clean boot troubleshooting.

You didnt say what your isp is. If you have cable isp, you can use safe mode w/ networking to test to see if that works. If you have dialup or DSL you cant use safe mode w/ networking because the drivers don't load.

Next i would use msconfig to do a clean boot to make sure it isn't 3rd party software conflicting. You didnt say if this has ever worked. If it worked before, what has changed? IE, what have you installed/uninstalled recently?

try a new profile to see if it's a corrupt registry hive.

try that and let us know how it goes

-gosh

it happen on multiple pc with different configuration and different keyboard. Its random meaning that it appear on boot-up.

My isp have nothing to do in that, Im talking about my enter and escape key not working anywhere in windows like if the keyboard wasnt sending the input (in game, run command, everywhere). I have a computer with 3 keyboard on it and all 3 get the same problem at the sametime when it happen.

Its like stupid firefox that (like right now) sometime refuse me to do a ' (it start a search instead of typing it, but now always! like for the arrow key that instead of moving the cursor in the adress bar, it move the page; but that's a firefox problem).

All keyboard are wired, some are PS2, others are USB. For the profile thing and everything, it as nothing to do with that since it happen on windows boot. I can't use ESC or ENTER key (except the one from keypad) to logon. I though about the drivers but since it's different type of keyboard (there is 1 G15, 1 logitech USB combo with mx mouse, 1 microsoft standard, 1 microsoft multimedia, 1 saitek I...), it got nothing to do with it.

It's not from a recently installed application since I just have to restart and it works. I've checked for virus or spyware since it's mostly the only thing (hey, ' work now in firefox... when I say random bug) I could see that randomly change stuff, but nothing to be found.

and like I said, it happen while a windows installation so it wasn't a newly installed program.

Thanks for trying though

I've had that thing with firefox happen before too, does anyone know how to fix it? I'll be typing along, and all of a sudden, I will type ' and it will open a search box. Strange.

As for your problem, have you seen if this happens in Safe Mode or with a fresh installation? What about if you're in the BIOS settings or something, does it happen then?

As far as I know, it's only in windows (since I don't use enter or esc key before windows).

For the fresh installation, like I said, it already happen on a windows installation reboot (once at the welcome screen on the first boot when it ask for registration, activation and create a new user, the other time it happen where I enter the cd-key). This is strange though because that's new since about... what 3-4 months at most. It's like if it was a windows update that do that.