new computer with win98

teddy123

yeah I've read that 64bit XP is somewhat problematic, but I am not gonna use 64bit windows anyway (well, as long as not anyone is creating a problemfree 64bit-capable windows98 hehehe), but I will run some 64bit Linux on it in the future. and someday in about five years or so I probably will add more momory to the computer (the M2V-motherboard can have 8Gb ASUS says) so it can handle that enormous 3D-thing I'm modelling in some linux counterpart of 3dsmax :-)

(with a by then bought serverfarm in the basement to do the processor-intensive rendering, well one can dream...)

And perhaps I will try that 64bit version of MenuetOS when they go GPL.

As long as I can run win98 on the computer it is ok that it isn't using anything more than 32bit and 1 to 1.5 GB (somewhere I've read some made it use 1.9 GB, but I guess dos-functionality will break then?), the rest are for the other oses I allso run.

The bad thing about the M2V-motherboard is that it have a "HD-audio" Realtek ALC660 that don't have win98-drivers

(and is not compatible with, or can emulate, anything older like AC97 either I think?) so I must put a soundcard in it, fortunately I have a SBLive!5.1 from and old computer that the stopped working when the weather-gods thought it was fun to 'flash' it a little... (but I guess I should check now that the soundcard wasn't hurt too... I guess it is hard to buy win98 and dos-compatible soundcards today, right?)

Today I've read that it is not as easy as just put the soundcard in some nice slot and everything works ok, it must be in the correct PCI-slot to get correct IRQ, and they should not collide with some other thing in the computer that allso uses that irq because they are all used up, twice.

The motherboard manual says:

IRQ assignment

A B C D E F G H

X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PCI slot

_ X _ _ _ _ _ _ PCI slot

_ _ X _ _ _ _ _ PCI slot

_ _ _ X _ _ _ _ PCI slot

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ X PCI epress x1

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ X PCI epress x16

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ X GigabitLAN

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ X Marwell 6121 SATA

_ X _ _ _ _ _ _ SATA (VIA)

X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ USB1

_ X _ _ _ _ _ _ USB2

_ _ X _ _ _ _ _ USB3

_ _ _ X _ _ _ _ USB4

_ X _ _ _ _ _ _ HD audio

But I can't find any mention of what irq numbers the A to H is? or are they some other kinds of irq than the normal irq 0-15 (where soundcards normally use 5 or 7) ?

Though on the normal irq-list, irq 3, 10 and 11 are labled "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering". Are these three together forming the eight A to H, like 2^3=8 ?

perhaps I should disable, if possible, the USB-ports that uses the same letter-irq as the soundcards pci-slot. (since I will disable HD audio and don't use SATA they are a less problem)

Something I still really don't know is if I must borrow another processor to be able to flash the bios to a new version that supports the processors G1 stepping. And the webshop that I intended to buy the stuff from refuses to flash it for me.....

so I must put a soundcard in it, fortunately I have a SBLive!5.1 from and old computer that the stopped working when the weather-gods thought it was fun to 'flash' it a little... (but I guess I should check now that the soundcard wasn't hurt too... I guess it is hard to buy win98 and dos-compatible soundcards today, right?)

Today I've read that it is not as easy as just put the soundcard in some nice slot and everything works ok, it must be in the correct PCI-slot to get correct IRQ, and they should not collide with some other thing in the computer that allso uses that irq because they are all used up, twice.

IRQ assignment

A B C D E F G H

X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PCI slot

_ X _ _ _ _ _ _ PCI slot

_ _ X _ _ _ _ _ PCI slot

_ _ _ X _ _ _ _ PCI slot

X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ USB1

_ X _ _ _ _ _ _ USB2

_ _ X _ _ _ _ _ USB3

_ _ _ X _ _ _ _ USB4

_ X _ _ _ _ _ _ HD audio

But I can't find any mention of what irq numbers the A to H is? or are they some other kinds of irq than the normal irq 0-15 (where soundcards normally use 5 or 7) ?

Though on the normal irq-list, irq 3, 10 and 11 are labled "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering". Are these three together forming the eight A to H, like 2^3=8 ?

perhaps I should disable, if possible, the USB-ports that uses the same letter-irq as the soundcards pci-slot. (since I will disable HD audio and don't use SATA they are a less problem)

IMHO in your case those A, B, C, D, H interrupts would correspond to the free IRQs - 3,5,7,10 and 11. I have no idea in what order, though. Also, I don't think you will need to disable the USBs. Just make sure to not use the second PCI slot for the soundcard - the SATA controller could create some really nasty resource conflicts.

P.S. Perhaps buying a new soundcard supporting W98 is still possible - Audigy2ZS/4 for example, or even something like Chaintech AV-710.

• 2 weeks later...
.. I guess it is hard to buy win98 and dos-compatible soundcards today, right?)

IRQ assignment

A B C D E F G H

X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PCI slot

_ X _ _ _ _ _ _ PCI slot_ _ X _ _ _ _ _ PCI slot

_ _ _ X _ _ _ _ PCI slot

X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ USB1

_ X _ _ _ _ _ _ USB2

_ _ X _ _ _ _ _ USB3

_ _ _ X _ _ _ _ USB4

_ X _ _ _ _ _ _ HD audio

Something I still really don't know is if I must borrow another processor to be able to flash the bios to a new version that supports the processors G1 stepping. And the webshop that I intended to buy the stuff from refuses to flash it for me.....

Hi Teddy123,

I believe vbdasc is quite right that all those IRQ assignments in the M2V manual refers to those

std irq's etc. I'm not that technically savvy and when I was assembling my M2V, I paid *no* attention to that IRQ

list in the manual. If it will help this is how I put my cards on that M2V board:

* Powercolor X800GTO Radeon on the pci-ex16 slot

* Linksys Tx100 10/100 Lan card on pci slot 3 (your M2V manual will indicate which is slot 3)

* Creative SB Live 5.1 soundcard on pci slot 4 ( as above )

I've got 2 pieces of 512mb 533 ddr2 ram on board and will add another 2 pcs tomorrow.

and also bought an Audigy2 (new) to replace the sb5.1 ,nb: the Audigy2zs will also work under 98se.

Since it was bought, the M2V has been running just over a year and 1 month, plus lots of pleasure running 98se

at rather impressive speeds and responses, ymmv,

however in fact I shall buy one more to keep as a 'just in case ' as fewer and fewer mobos are

likely to support 98se in the near future from what I can see.

hth

tee charoen

member since Sep 06

Btw: no need to use another processor to flash bios on the board.

I'd flashed it to 1803 last month - just get the newest bios from Asus's site (1803)

also get afudos, follow instructions in your M2V manual and you're done.

1803 allow you to use the X2 6000 cpu on the M2V board - 98xx will fly!

Edited by tee charoen