Wow, that's a lot of updates!

Idontwantspam

Well, I installed Windows XP MCE in a VM today, since I want to do some tinkering and don't want to screw up my computer. Since I needed internet for some of this, and since I had automatic updates on, it downloaded a lot of updates! Little did I know... when I went to shut down the VM, the "Install Updates and Shut down" option was there, so I decided to let those updates install. This is what I saw:

post-128497-1184818005_thumb.png

Dang! 39 updates! That's a LOT. I guess that goes to show how many things they need to fix, since the CD hadn't been updated since SP2/Update Rollout 2. I'm sure there will be even more the next time I connect. Thing is, I didn't bother to activate, since I don't feel like paying just to tinker, and won't use the VM more than a month, so it's not even WGA legit, meaning all those updates are critical.

Here's another totally unrelated thing. I was fooling with Vista in a VM, and pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del (OK, Right_Alt+Del) and guess what!!? With only 512mb of RAM, it had to give me a spinning wait symbol thing to bring up the security options! Wow, even the three-finger-salute has to wait and wait these days.

Edited by Idontwantspam

I'm not sure I understand the question...

Yes, the number of updates is staggering--I really think it's time for M$ to release a 3rd service pack for XP. RyanVM's update packs help a lot to reduce time needed to slipstream and/or install updates to a new installation, but a new "baseline" is (IMO) way overdue. Some may find this hard to believe, but this August will mark 3 years since SP2 was released. Obviously microsoft's focus will now lie with Vista, but considering the longevity of XP compared to M$'s previous operating systems, continued support of XP is critical.

Sorry, misread. SOunded like you were using the demo version of vmware workstation, not VPC. And that it was expiring in a month not MCE locking you out in a month for not activating.

I'd kill for only 39 updates.

My last F/R went like like this:

No cd - my NetVista has a 'hidden partition' with restore program - about 993 meg - fat32

Format C: (fat 32)

re-install winxp (sp 1?)

after first boot, convert filesystem to ntfs

Windows update - 19 patches (before being offered sp2)

Windows update SP2

Windows update - 80 freakin patches!!!! (79critical if I nix ie 7)

Whole process took 12 hours -

Still needed to re-install scanner drivers and software...

Kinda funny when I think back about it...

The Nets Edge

Whole process took 12 hours -

Still needed to re-install scanner drivers and software...

Sheesh!, and I complain about 35mins for the whole process app 'n' all. </p***take>

Time to go to the unattended section and start a disc, I hope you've started on already :thumbup

Update -

I read the unattended section and it won't work for me. I don't have a disk, and cannot see/alter the Recovery Partition - other than delete it.

I dl'ed NTI's Drive Backup trial- made a good image backup (2 - dvd's)

When I tried to 'recover' with the bootable DVD's, all went well till it tried to rewrite the partition table (at 86%) and locked up. Tried 3 times. Had to use the built in recovery partition and reload all the patches via win update.

I have purchased partition magic and ghost 9 in the past. I may try ghost next.

Still looking for other idea's...

The Nets Edge

(part of the Lunatic Fringe)

yeah really, when all is said and done, my system need exactly 147 updates....takes me 1hr 30min just to downlaod and install all those friggin updates.....drives me completely bonkers! I wish they'd crank that SP3 out, jeez!

Edited by XL-DJK95355

Update -

I read the unattended section and it won't work for me. I don't have a disk, and cannot see/alter the Recovery Partition - other than delete it.

I dl'ed NTI's Drive Backup trial- made a good image backup (2 - dvd's)

When I tried to 'recover' with the bootable DVD's, all went well till it tried to rewrite the partition table (at 86%) and locked up. Tried 3 times. Had to use the built in recovery partition and reload all the patches via win update.

I have purchased partition magic and ghost 9 in the past. I may try ghost next.

Still looking for other idea's...

The Nets Edge

(part of the Lunatic Fringe)

First thing is to find that recovery partition and learn how to start the recovery process. If you ever format the drive, that option will be forever lost!

I don't know what your OEM is, but I've been making nLite'd disks for DELL's using my copied DELL OEM XPPro disk for over a yr now.

I haven't had any problems doing it this way as yet. This method also works for, Compaq, HP and eMachine. You just need to copy the OEM disk to a folder and

save it for later use. Also I'm doing XP Home the same way.

I started doing this, with my DELL which is XPPro SP1a, by restoring my OS from the factory image partition(DELL calls this PC Restore) and install the nLite'd

XPPro, on top of the restored OS. Using RVM's update packs, I usually have anywhere from 0 to maybe 5 updates to install.

The whole process from start to finish, that's replacing the "OS", drivers, "My Documents", Theme's, and all my programs: ~3hrs!

I hope this is of some help to you.

:First thing is to find that recovery partition and learn how to start the recovery process. If you ever format the drive, that option will be forever lost!

I don't know what your OEM is, but I've been making nLite'd disks for DELL's using my copied DELL OEM XPPro disk for over a yr now. "

=============================================

The PC is an IBM Netvista (have 2 of them)- I access the Recovery partition by hitting f11 during POST. Windows can 'see' the partition, but that's it. Has a hidden flag. As you can see by the attachment, all I can do is 'Delete' the partition.

I have a copy of Norton Ghost 9 (legit) - which made a 'good' image of the C: partition (it can't see the recovery partition, either) accross my network to another PC. I was able to selectively restore files. Haven't tried the complete restore yet. Also, I haven't tried yet, but am planning on burning to DVD (2 dvd set) the new installation and testing.

I have no plans to 'torgue' with the partition table, although, I did find a licensed copy of Partition Magic amongst my software collection. It seems as long as I leave the partition alone, I will always be able to press f11 to access it and restore. My concern isn't as much 'formatting the drive' - rather a hard drive failure will cause me to purchase a NEW OS as well. I don't think I'll notice the difference between 39gb and 40gb so I'll leave it alone.

My concern is also the amount of time it takes to 'recover' patch sp2 patch patch patch....re-install software...etc. That is why I went with Ghost. Now it looks like it will be merely a 2hour recovery.

The Net's Edge

post-147909-1185937568_thumb.jpg

I've found with the IBM/Lenovo's when you capture a disk image of the machine you have to use the /IB (image Boot) switch in order for the image to deploy back to the system and have the recovery partition work.

windows updates are a pain thats for sure. i was listing to a pod cast around the time when vista came out and they where saying that Microsoft doesn't plan to release SP3 till sometime next year, or after SP1 for vista. they want people to move to vista so, as they are going to keep patching XP they are not going to make it easer.

to get around the whole patch thing in windows, each month i download a program called auto patcher, I'm sure some of you know about it. I like it because i don't have to sit there and wait for all the updates to download and then install them. it still takes a long time to install(it's always 1.5hours no matter the system i have used it on) but you can pick what updates you want to install and what not. I find it handy when i am reloading PCs.

windows updates are a pain thats for sure. i was listing to a pod cast around the time when vista came out and they where saying that Microsoft doesn't plan to release SP3 till sometime next year, or after SP1 for vista. they want people to move to vista so, as they are going to keep patching XP they are not going to make it easer.

to get around the whole patch thing in windows, each month i download a program called auto patcher, I'm sure some of you know about it. I like it because i don't have to sit there and wait for all the updates to download and then install them. it still takes a long time to install(it's always 1.5hours no matter the system i have used it on) but you can pick what updates you want to install and what not. I find it handy when i am reloading PCs.

Hi Lingk,

Just curious! I have Autopatcher installed on our Win 98se computer myself.I was'nt aware that there is one for Win XP (I have Win XP Pro on my other computer).Where did you download this from?Thanks.

VAN