Image a boot drive to another controller?

Leeoniya

I have a motherboard in a live system with an onboard SATA controller is acting strange...it fails to find a boot drive very often. Swapping motherboards is a PITA because it pretty much means clean install, lots of disassembly...etc. I would rather just get a $70 EIDE drive and transfer to the EIDE controller for the main OS.

are there issues with imaging the bootable primary sata drive w/winXP onto an EIDE drive? I assume i would either need to run repair install of xp...or maybe just fixboot from the Recovery Console/edit the boot.ini by hand would do the trick....and of course change boot priority in bios.

anyone done this?

thanks,

Leon

I have a motherboard in a live system with an onboard SATA controller is acting strange...it fails to find a boot drive very often. Swapping motherboards is a PITA because it pretty much means clean install, lots of disassembly...etc. I would rather just get a $70 EIDE drive and transfer to the EIDE controller for the main OS.

are there issues with imaging the bootable primary sata drive w/winXP onto an EIDE drive? I assume i would either need to run repair install of xp...or maybe just fixboot from the Recovery Console/edit the boot.ini by hand would do the trick....and of course change boot priority in bios.

anyone done this?

thanks,

Leon

Put the IDE PCI card into the PC, and get into Windows (while the HDD is attached to the old controller). Let it PnP and do its' thing.

You should now be able to boot from the IDE PCI card, as long as your BIOS supports the appropriate boot order, etc.

You better apply the reg. file as described here and copy the relevant files to \system32\drivers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082

That means you will be able to start your installation as long as its IDE controller has one of the listed HardwareIDs there. The principle for SATA/SCSI controllers is the same- simply adding the HardwareID to CriticalDeviceDatabase with the corresponding service, add the service and it's files where they are supposed to be and you are ready :)

Simply installing SATA/ATA/SCSI adapter via PnP does not include the needed entry in CriticalDeviceDatabase, this is done by the SETUP program. It may start for some IDE controllers without that reg. patch, because many HardwareIDs are already included, but is not guarantied.

Edited by ilko_t