E6850 or Q6600?

vegettoxp

have you even used vista 64bit?
Yes, I've used it. I have an MSDN Premium Volume License subscription...I get access to all of the OSes. I tested Vista x64 and decided it wasn't right for my uses. I've also tested Windows XP x64 and came to the same conclusion. After researching and reading other articles/forums a lot of other people have come to the same conclusion.
also have you used vlite to see how much space the drivers actually use up? it's insane.
Most people like myself and mmX who work professional with our hardware would rather not use things such as vLite which will affect the overall stability of the operating system and can cause unforeseen problems that cannot be properly diagnosed due to the nature of the changes that vLite can do.
'Nuff said.

And that's the same reason I don't/won't use nLite on my XP systems. Have you noticed that the nLite forum has more topics than any other forum besides Windows XP and Unattended Windows 2000/XP/2003? And half of the ones in the Windows XP forum probably belong in the nLite forum. A good number of those nLite topics are people having problems with their system(s) after using nLite. No thanks.

Besides...I have a 500GB OS drive. Why do I need to worry about drivers taking up a couple hundred MB?

i was talking about you and your case. if you need it for that reason, then how is it not a perfect reason?
You should've typed a few more words stating you specifically meant our reason for going to 64-bit. People following the thread might have been confused by the vague statement...I know I was and I'm participating in the thread!
and as you've said MS will go 64bit only and so is Mac. i think they are doing this b/c they feel that it is a superior OS..
Not because the OS is superior, but because the memory capabilities are superior. They're making the move because the 2GB virtual memory limit is becoming more and more of a problem for professionals (and eventually even gamers).

It's already know that Vista doesn't start performing adequately until you have 2GB of RAM in the system. I'm sure there's a lot more optimization that could've been done there...as I've stated before, the OS was rushed out the door at the last minute. We'll see what SP1 does.

I guess the point jcarle and I are both making is that you need to do a lot more research. Just because something works fine for you for a couple of months doesn't mean it'll fit the bill for everyone else. Also, when you post something, post and explenation with it. Don't just make a recommendation, state your reason for making the recommendation. Links to reliable sources for backup information are also helpful. :)

On a server I would never use nLite/vLite, but:

On my own systems I use nLite, and with succes.

But indeed saying things don´t work when you broke it your self isn´t right.

The forum part that uses nLite/vLite on the forum is so big because people love it, and play with it, sure 85% doesn´t know what they are doing and that´s the biggest part of the nLite/vLite section. 50% Of 2000/XP/Vista is useless to me and doesn´t break any program that I use when removed.

On a server I would never use nLite/vLite, but:

On my own systems I use nLite, and with succes.

But indeed saying things don´t work when you broke it your self isn´t right.

The forum part that uses nLite/vLite on the forum is so big because people love it, and play with it, sure 85% doesn´t know what they are doing and that´s the biggest part of the nLite/vLite section. 50% Of 2000/XP/Vista is useless to me and doesn´t break any program that I use when removed.

For those that use vLite to automate the install, no worries - this doesn't apply to them.

To those that remove services because it makes Vista better somehow, I can only laugh. Black Viper's postings on disabling services and such have been so completely debunked at this point it's a bit silly. For an even remotely modern machine, it's not worth the time or effort by any stretch of the imagination. And once you start including the possible incompatibilities you introduce by making these changes, it's an even worse idea.

For those that use vLite to automate the install, no worries - this doesn't apply to them.

To those that remove services because it makes Vista better somehow, I can only laugh. Black Viper's postings on disabling services and such have been so completely debunked at this point it's a bit silly. For an even remotely modern machine, it's not worth the time or effort by any stretch of the imagination. And once you start including the possible incompatibilities you introduce by making these changes, it's an even worse idea.

Not to take this thread off topic, but I too haven't used nLite in a long time. I used to be all about the tweaking here or there, but ultimately, there'd always be something that I just couldn't do, or something that wouldn't install. People who have been on this board for a while can probably atest to the fact that I'm not a complete moron, and have some pretty good debugging skills. Ultimately, it came down to something that nLite did (9 times out of 10) and the only way to fix it was to reinstall the OS. There was one term a few years back where I reinstalled XP 6 times on my laptop. That may not seem like a lot to some people, but when it's my primary work computer and there are programs that cannot have silent installers, you're pretty much screwed.

When a new forum member who has used nLite comes here and asks about how to solve a problem that they're having, my default response is "don't use nLite". It's simply not feasible for an environment where things need to "just work".

To those that remove services because it makes Vista better somehow, I can only laugh.

I remove services and laugh even more. Also the idea to have more power over your OS ;).

Zxian, nicely said that last line you posted...

To those that remove services because it makes Vista better somehow, I can only laugh.

I remove services and laugh even more. Also the idea to have more power over your OS ;) .

Zxian, nicely said that last line you posted...

Why would you want to *remove* functionality from an OS? Isn't the entire point to have that functionality if you need it? It's not as if the extra half-a-penny cost of the tiny amount of disk space used is an issue, so why do it and induce that incompatibility and/or problems? It's not as if you're (generic you - the nLite/vLite user) 'hacking' the OS or doing anything special - you're just ticking a little box in an application that someone else wrote to do this, so what's the big deal? Why do it in light of all the issues?

Edited by bluescreens

Hey Guys, Now that I have decided that I am gona go with the Q6600, I need help in the Air Cooling area. I might or might now overclock, but I need to have the best Air cooling out there. So for the people who have Air cooling on there Q6600 or if you guys have good recommendations, Please share those with me. I am using a Cooler-Master Air cooling for my old system.

So if you guys can give me your opinions on Good Air Cooling, It would really help me out and my Q6600 Processor!

My Case is the Cooler-Master Stacker 830!

P.S. Fusion!

If you're not going to overclock just stick with the stock cooler. It'll provide adequate cooling at adequate sound levels. I have my X6800 slightly overclocked (to 3.2GHz via a multiplier change) and I'm using the stock cooling without any problems. Of course, I have a decent case (Antec Sonata II) and my cables are routed to maximize air flow...

Hey Guys, The reviews I am doing on the Q6600, will they be good reviews. The reason I ask this is because I have been hearing that the New Q6600 will have the G0 Stepping? And if you don't mind, can you please explain what is this G0 Steeping?

THX!

P.S. Fusion

I don't understand your questions about reviews. One site may have a good review while another may have a mediocre or bad review. Reviews are sometimes opinionated and should only be used as a guide to aid in your purchase decision. Try to stick to reputable sites.

CPU makers (i.e. Intel or AMD) make incremental updates and small fixes to the CPUs over time. When these changes are made they release them as new "steppings", or "versions" of the CPU. It's the same basic overall CPU, but they may have made some changes so that it uses less power (which means run cooler) or fixed a minor glitch. The G0 stepping is the latest version of the current Core 2 CPU family.

Why would you want to *remove* functionality from an OS? Isn't the entire point to have that functionality if you need it? It's not as if the extra half-a-penny cost of the tiny amount of disk space used is an issue, so why do it and induce that incompatibility and/or problems? It's not as if you're (generic you - the nLite/vLite user) 'hacking' the OS or doing anything special - you're just ticking a little box in an application that someone else wrote to do this, so what's the big deal? Why do it in light of all the issues?

I have customers that have schools or cybercafes for example. They can install extra software to block unneeded/wanted stuff or just kick it out. Then I would take it out if it breaks no functionalety of windows for those users. And sure it´s not hacking, it´s like taking out the backseats of your car when you use taht space for other things like a to big subwoofer :P.

I have customers that have schools or cybercafes for example. They can install extra software to block unneeded/wanted stuff or just kick it out. Then I would take it out if it breaks no functionalety of windows for those users. And sure it´s not hacking, it´s like taking out the backseats of your car when you use taht space for other things like a to big subwoofer :P.

Yep - you guessed it - I think that's odd too.

For schools or cybercafes or whatnot, a better option, IMHO, is to learn how to use Windows security and local policies (and group policies) to do all of that in an automatic and supported manner.

I don´t need group policies for that and can do the same with a XP home version as with XP Pro, just using the registry settings (like I´m a nOOb... please).

Other then that, I like to do it my way and you do it your way, let´s keep it like that ;).

Hey Guys, The reviews I am doing on the Q6600, will they be good reviews. The reason I ask this is because I have been hearing that the New Q6600 will have the G0 Stepping? And if you don't mind, can you please explain what is this G0 Steeping?

THX!

P.S. Fusion

it uses less watts, somewhere from 90-95W as opposed to 105W i believe. it really means more overclocking and that is really the only reason that you would want one, unless you are a company that's deciding to purchase 100 Q6600's...