E6850 or Q6600?

vegettoxp

In that case, I'd go to CompUSA and get their Acer Q6600 machine (2GB, 500GB, ATI 1650SE) for $750 or so.
Right, for that price you can build a better machine with a REAL video card to play games with ;).

brucevangeorge to answer your question, I like to get as many answers I can from everyside. I hope you don't mind.

THX!

P.S. Fusion

I thought it was weird that you posted exactly the same things on three separate sites.

Hey Guys, I have started to do reviews on the Q6600, So I am guessing I am gona go with the Q6600 After all. I just had few questions:

1) Can I get the Q6600 now (Of course after Price Cut)?

2) When I order it on-line, do I need to look for something regarding this processor (Stepping I guess or something else). Or do I just order the Q6600 Period?

3) Will this processor work when I get the X38 Chipset based Motherboards Intel or Asus? (Because I plan to get the 45nm based Quad-Core Next year or so)

Thx for all the help guys!

P.S. Fusion

In that case, I'd go to CompUSA and get their Acer Q6600 machine (2GB, 500GB, ATI 1650SE) for $750 or so.
Right, for that price you can build a better machine with a REAL video card to play games with ;) .

$266 CPU

$100 965 MB

$80 2G RAM

$110 Vista H.P.

$40 DVD + LightScribe

$100 500GB

$100 nice tool-less case & great PS, mouse, kb

$60 cheapest ATI 1650 at Newegg

Total $856 by my count, plus the time it takes for me to put it together, plus the warranty issues and annoyances (vs. calling up Acer and telling them to fix it...) - I'd rather keep $106 in my pocket *and* get someone else responsible for supporting it. Win-win.

enough about these 64bit compatibility issues that everyone is afraid of. ive been using a 64bit OS for 2 years and and first there were some drivers not available but now there are plenty of 64bit drivers. unless you plan on using a 10 year old peripheral, you should be fine.

Who's "afraid" of the compatibility issues? It's certainly something that a person should be aware of and research before they make that decision, especially if they intend on using Windows Vista. Even the 32-bit video drivers for Windows Vista aren't entirely stable or optimized yet. For that matter, Creative's Vista sound drivers still aren't feature complete for all of their cards yet. They're closer, but they aren't there yet.

For those of us who do gaming, Windows x64 is still very much new ground.

Here's an example...and while it's a server issue it makes the case about the type of things you need to be aware of in the differences between Windows 32-bit and 64-bit. We recently upgraded a Windows Server 2003 SP1/SQL2000 SP4 32-bit based cluster to a Windows Server 2003 R2/SQL 2005 SP2 64-bit based cluster. One of the supporting applications requires Oracle OLE/ODBC drivers to pull data from another Oracle database. It took us a week of research and trying different configurations to finally get that one piece of the puzzle to work. While a week may not sound like a lot initially, when you start to consider that this is for a world-wide system and updates to the data aren't happening...well, I think you get the picture.

Now scale that down and equate it to a hardcore gamer not being able to play some of their games just because they made the decision to go 64-bit without researching it.

well you still decided to go with a 64bit OS.. why would you do it if it was such a pain? some programs may have problems but most do not. i'm not sure what your talking about with drivers tho.. the nvidia drivers for vista are good now, only real problems were with the betas. xp x64 there are no issues that i know of for nvidia drivers. as far as creative goes, they are know for horrible driver support. they could care less about their x-fi drivers or the people who wasted 200$ on an x-fi..

well you still decided to go with a 64bit OS.. why would you do it if it was such a pain? some programs may have problems but most do not. i'm not sure what your talking about with drivers tho.. the nvidia drivers for vista are good now, only real problems were with the betas. xp x64 there are no issues that i know of for nvidia drivers. as far as creative goes, they are know for horrible driver support. they could care less about their x-fi drivers or the people who wasted 200$ on an x-fi..

Do you ever post anything worth reading?

well you still decided to go with a 64bit OS... ...they could care less about their x-fi drivers or the people who wasted 200$ on an x-fi..

Do you ever post anything worth reading?

Auch... that must hurt :ph34r:

90% Of the posts are not "worth reading" but he didn´t post them, so why complain about it ;).

Here's an example...and while it's a server issue it makes the case about the type of things you need to be aware of in the differences between Windows 32-bit and 64-bit. We recently upgraded a Windows Server 2003 SP1/SQL2000 SP4 32-bit based cluster to a Windows Server 2003 R2/SQL 2005 SP2 64-bit based cluster. One of the supporting applications requires Oracle OLE/ODBC drivers to pull data from another Oracle database. It took us a week of research and trying different configurations to finally get that one piece of the puzzle to work. While a week may not sound like a lot initially, when you start to consider that this is for a world-wide system and updates to the data aren't happening...well, I think you get the picture.

To answer your question as to why we went with 64-bit...pay attention to the parts I bolded.

Would you rather limit SQL (which is very memory hungry) to a 2GB virtualy memory limit or allow it have as much as the system has installed (which is 20GB on the new servers BTW). The more memory SQL can grab the better it runs. We have one instance that routinely runs at about 12GB or so usage. Also, the cluster runs more than one SQL instance. In the example the benefits far outweighed the initial problems we had.

The NVIDIA (and for that matter AMD/ATI) Vista drivers, 32- or 64-bit, are not optimized nearly to the level of the XP drivers yet. They're getting there...but again, I'm not sacrificing performance just to move to the latest OS. Generally I'm on the bleeding-edge bandwagon. I was running Windows 2000, even at work, when it was still called Windows NT 5.0. I was running Windows XP before they had any idea they were going to call it Windows XP. But this time I'm holding off. Way too much has changed and it got rushed at the end of the development cycle.

Creative is also not as bad as some people make them out to be. IIRC, their latest drivers added a lot of functionality back to the card. And if I'm not mistaken, they've basically had to write their own API (ALchemy) so that legacy games work correctly with multichannel audio in Vista.

People tend to forget, or don't understand, that the entire driver model has changed in Windows Vista. That requires all drivers to pretty much be completely rewritten from the ground up. The change was both stability and security oriented. Drivers now run in user mode instead of kernel mode. This is supposed to keep a bad driver from completely crashing the kernel (and in turn the system). Printer drivers are notorious for this...

well vista drivers are not the same as xp, we were talking about 64bit compatibility issues i thought? they are getting there and i can still play games without problems/lag, so im not complaining.

the 2gig vm limit is a perfect reason to switch over.

isnt creative charging ppl 10$ to dload its ALchemy drivers? now how is that good support?

http://www.buy.soundblaster.com/_creativel...2X767VHL73GYR38

Edited by ripken204

It's hard to tell what we're talking about...you keep switching back and forth. My main point is 64-bit and Vista just got thrown in for good measure.

Yes, they're charging $10 for Audigy owners. It's free for X-Fi owners (which you specifically mentioned several posts back). So as an Audigy owner I can either spend $10 to get ALchemy or I can spend ~$100 to get an X-Fi to get ALchemy for free. Which one do you think I'd choose?

They fact that they're still supporting the Audigy cards at all is encouraging. That's better than being told "if you use Windows Vista we're not going to provide drivers your high-dollar product that otherwise still works just fine, you have to buy a new one". I'm not defending Creative, but I'm not condemning them either.

The 2GB virtual memory limit isn't even close to a good enough reason for most people to move over. How many people do you know that hit that limit on a daily basis? I consider myself a power user and I've never hit the limit. Granted I'm no graphics designer or programmer, but neither are most PC users.

The requirement to change is coming in the next few years though. Windows Server 2008 will be the last Windows OS released in both 32- and 64-bit versions. All future Windows desktop and server OSes will be 64-bit, at least for the foreseeable future. The lastest version of Exchange Server (2007) is already only available in 64-bit.

vista drivers are great and so it vista 64bit, have you even used vista 64bit? also have you used vlite to see how much space the drivers actually use up? it's insane.

they still should'nt charge you for the drivers. and why would'nt they support a product that many people still have?

i was talking about you and your case. if you need it for that reason, then how is it not a perfect reason?

and as you've said MS will go 64bit only and so is Mac. i think they are doing this b/c they feel that it is a superior OS..

vista drivers are great and so it vista 64bit, have you even used vista 64bit? also have you used vlite to see how much space the drivers actually use up? it's insane.

they still should'nt charge you for the drivers. and why would'nt they support a product that many people still have?

i was talking about you and your case. if you need it for that reason, then how is it not a perfect reason?

and as you've said MS will go 64bit only and so is Mac. i think they are doing this b/c they feel that it is a superior OS..

Why is supplying lots of drivers for a product insane? Most would call it "good".

What is a superior OS? 64 bitness? It's a better way of addressing memory - that's for sure...

It's because, not b/c.

Vista drivers are not all great. Just because the drivers for the hardware you have are stable during the usage that you make of them does not make in no way for a fully quantified proof that Vista drivers are great. If all of the Vista drivers were so great then companies wouldn't be spending the small fortunes that they are spending to improve them, there wouldn't be any driver updates and there wouldn't be anyone complaining either.

Most people like myself and mmX who work professionally with our hardware would rather not use things such as vLite which will affect the overall stability of the operating system and can cause unforeseen problems that cannot be properly diagnosed due to the nature of the changes that vLite can do.

If I had a company that produced sound cards and there was a large change in platform that required me to dedicate my full team of programmers full time to learn, understand, develop, debug and support new drivers for a new operating system which no one had ever used before, I wouldn't even write drivers for a sound card like the Audigy.

The Audigy is over 6 years old. Microsoft's operating systems don't even get that long for support I believe (I think it's 5 years). If I was going to develop drivers for a sound card that people just didn't want to upgrade because "it still works" but wanted to move to the bleeding edge operating system, you'd be damned sure that I'd charge them and for a lot more then $10.

When Microsoft released Windows XP, then didn't even support their own game port products. Microsoft did not and officially stated that it would NEVER support for Windows XP it's game port based joysticks and game pads. And that's the way it should be. The technology was old and needed to be left behind.

A need is a need and it doesn't have to be perfect. The reason generates the need and it can't be fixed otherwise.

I think you assume a lot of things. Microsoft isn't going 64 bit because Vista is a superior operating system. In my opinion, Vista is the most bloated and rushed piece of garbage ever shoved out the doors of Microsoft with a swift kick in the a**. Microsoft is going to go 64 bit only for the same reason that it stopped supporting game ports and the same reason that it stopped supporting non-NT based operating systems. To force the computing world to change.

I think you need to spend less time assuming and generalising. Spend more time researching, evaluating and understanding... perhaps it may add more content to your posts and increase instead of decrease the value of the threads in which you participate.

Edited by jcarle