Old pack version discussions

Squeeto

This is really cool. Nice job.

Just one comment:

These kind of packs always seem to make the same mistake with the startmenu icons. They are far too big and that's because authors are using the wrong images. If you take a closer look at the startmenu in a non-customized windows interface you will realize these icons are actually smaller than every other system icon.

So the proper sizes are:

small icons in startmenu= 16x16 pixel icon in a 16x16 grid

regular icons in startmenu=24x24 pixel icon centered in a 32x32 grid

large icons in startmenu (actually all around the OS)= 32x32 icon centered in a 48x48 grid

(Please ignore this if you are using the "large icons" system setting and the startmenu icons just look like this at 32x32. I can't tell by the screenshots because of its low res.)

Edited by Dave.Net

hi guys, @ betaluva.

yes its a bug man.

sorry for that.

i just fixed that and will update the links on a monday.

i tried it and well, it does nothing your right.

well sorry.

wait to tomorrow to see the fix and more!

damian666

hi squeeto, well i know its possible to do but the resources are made for 2000, not xp.

there are some minor changes in those.

so its not recommended until i know what those changes are and if i can fix those.

so let me know if you see anything out of order?!

its good to see your back :thumbup

damian666

so let me know if you see anything out of order?!

I just installed XP. I have been a 2000 user for so long. So it is a little difficult to notice what all has changed.

I could do some side by side shots but it will be nice when long time XP users try out your pack.

I have noticed a few inconsistencies but I'll PM you.

Edited by Squeeto

There are lots of files that are different in hacking from 2K to XP, I promise. And the Vista pack is going to be "XP icon mode-less", I mean, we will remove as much XP format icons as possible (since they are useless space because Win2k doesn't handle them) and replace a few with True colored icons, that 2K DO handle.

So,installing this Vista pack in XP will require a re-build. For now (and I'm talking for me) I will focus in trying to improve the 2K2Vista icon hack and the 2K2XP icon hack.

Anyway, to have Vista style in XP there are other hacks like the Vista Transformation Pack. But I noticed that there are icons that are not updated to the final version of Vista. I think soon there will be released a updated VTP.

Edited by XibaD

There are lots of files that are different in hacking from 2K to XP
Damian has only hinted on this thread but he sent me a Vista pack for XP. He has posted this information on another thread that I started, so it is not a secret. I only posted a preview picture of the fun to come for XP users. If you look closely at the screenshot you will notice that the alpha channel has not been removed. :)
there are other hacks like the Vista Transformation Pack

I am more interested in being able to change resources like a theme. Vista would be only one of the themes. I have been modifying Damian's packs to be used in another installer. He has done an incredible amount of work to extract Vista resources and locate the 2000 (and XP) equivalents. But it is all in the packs.

The pack will soon be updated ..... I will focus in trying to improve the 2K2Vista icon hack and the 2K2XP icon hack.

You seem involved. Are you now working with Damian on this project?

You seem involved. Are you now working with Damian on this project?

Yep, recently. I'm doing some addition to Damian's pack. All of this with his agreement, of course. I'm very interested in the 2K2Vista hack project (I thought it was a suitable name, since my 2k to Xp hack was named 2K2XP Hack lol)

But it's hard to "adapt" Vista resources to XP / 2K because they are in lots of different files. You see, for example the icon for "Network cable disconnected" that popups in the system tray when... you disconnect the cable lol, well it was lost in the twilight in some odd file that 2K neither XP has. Of course I added it to 2K, but I have to see what Damian says of all my additions :)

And by the way, any help is apprecciated :)