nLite needs more info

Swami

Yes, it is crucial for new – and old – nLite users to get more info on the components the tool will remove for them. There have been wishes that components must be more explained, but Nuhi turned them down.

Nuhi, please, we are not as smart as you are, so please explain those components with more details. Not some scientific descriptions, but more relaxed and friendly descriptions.

I mainly searched and copied some official descriptions, some of them are a little dry.

Point is that people who remove stuff should know what they are removing just from the title, nLite shouldn't be a substitute for Windows help, or a motivation to remove just because you can.

Nuhi, true, true. The thing is that I am not 100% sure whether I need a certain component or not. For example, I have no idea if I can remove 'AGP filters' or not. There are tons of components which baffle me, like whether I need the 'ALI IDE Controller' component and stuff like that. Please help.

As far as I understand it, nlite detects your actual system and doesn´t give you the choice to remove Intel if you´re really using an Intel chipset.

Same for AMD.

You´re on the safe side, if you remove AGP IF you integrate your own AGP drivers with nlite.

Have a VIA chipset myself, remove the original MS drivers and integrate the VIA AGP per inf.

Never had a problem.

Another way is, to install the best drivers for a stable system, use doubledriver or drivergenius to save them and remove all drivers with nlite and replace them by the saved ones for the next CD/DVD.

Agi

Where can I download the AGP drivers? The first thing is that I don't know for sure what those are and for what purpose do they serve. Are those motherboard drivers or what? I don't even know the manufacturer name of my motherboard. Gee, isn't that swell? :) And no, AgiHammerklau, you can also remove the 'Intel' component if you have the Intel chipset; the same goes for the 'AMD' component. nLite cannot detect your chipset manufacturer – how could it? It is not necessary that the installation would be installed on the same machine, so you can also remove the 'AMD' component even if your mobo has the AMD chipset.

The embedded presets in nLite doesn't help me either to determine what seems okay to remove and what not, because those presets are too much superficial.

Nuhi, true, true. The thing is that I am not 100% sure whether I need a certain component or not. For example, I have no idea if I can remove 'AGP filters' or not. There are tons of components which baffle me, like whether I need the 'ALI IDE Controller' component and stuff like that. Please help.

I agree strongly

Swami, to tell you the truth I'm not sure if I can remove AGP filters now. I had those with VIA motherboard in the 4in1 driver but now with the Intel motherboard I'm not sure and I'm not up to reading through those INF files in the driver. So you see it's up to you again :) I keep them now, removed them before...

About the ALi IDE...if you don't have the ALi chipset (or is it a controller) then you can remove it. You see again you didn't know that ALi is a company, how did you know what Intel IDE is.

While I do see your point and could upgrade many descriptions to a more human approach like

"it's an ALi company driver, look your motherboard manual, is there a big ALi word on the covers"

I must decline, and if you searched for "ALi IDE drivers" you might have found a more suitable explanation. Thing is, and I repeated this many times, if you don't know what it is keep it or search for it. If you just want to speed up your pc then remove what you don't need AND what you don't know, when some application fails then find out what it is that you need by searching about the error on the net or ask here.

Use RW media, use virtual machines, don't activate Windows until you're sure.

AgiHammerklau, it's not detecting. Maybe you missed the point by only a few degrees. It would detect integrated drivers during installation so you don't need the old Windows drivers.