Vista Win Update... does anyone tests what they download in your PC?

tommaso

I don't know if you know an old italian way of saying "any news, good news" but I just invented another "no windows updates are the only good updates" ;)

It's the 2nd time in ten days that Vista Win Updates cripple my OS, leaving me no alternatives than reinstalling the OS (oh and I guess very soon MS will accuse me of piracy because of that...)

I am talking about 3 of the latest updates available that refers to Win Vista certified drivers for mobo based on nVidia chipset 590/570 and, in particular, nvidia RAID controllers and SATA drivers.

You know well that when we talk about HD we talk about our precious data. Carefulness is adviceable.

I'd like to state, too, that Vista was running fine with nVidia oldest drivers but as far as Win Update settings allows it to download "important" updates, looks like there is not much to do except disabling it...

So, that said, every **** time Win Update downloads these **** drivers, my OS freezes on the first reboot and subsequentially becomes very unstable and hard drives seems to go on constant loop worsening performance and bringing to frequent lockups.

I tried everything, from restoring the OS to rollingback drivers... Nothing seems to work and I know I will spend this night reinstalling the OS...

Watch carefully what Win Updates download in your OS, I am pretty sure, no one tests it. Ever.

I don't know if you know an old italian way of saying "any news, good news" but I just invented another "no windows updates are the only good updates" ;)

It's the 2nd time in ten days that Vista Win Updates cripple my OS, leaving me no alternatives than reinstalling the OS (oh and I guess very soon MS will accuse me of piracy because of that...)

I am talking about 3 of the latest updates available that refers to Win Vista certified drivers for mobo based on nVidia chipset 590/570 and, in particular, nvidia RAID controllers and SATA drivers.

You know well that when we talk about HD we talk about our precious data. Carefulness is adviceable.

I'd like to state, too, that Vista was running fine with nVidia oldest drivers but as far as Win Update settings allows it to download "important" updates, looks like there is not much to do except disabling it...

So, that said, every **** time Win Update downloads these **** drivers, my OS freezes on the first reboot and subsequentially becomes very unstable and hard drives seems to go on constant loop worsening performance and bringing to frequent lockups.

I tried everything, from restoring the OS to rollingback drivers... Nothing seems to work and I know I will spend this night reinstalling the OS...

Watch carefully what Win Updates download in your OS, I am pretty sure, no one tests it. Ever.

I think you should blame the driver vendor, and not Microsoft - Microsoft doesn't make any of the drivers on that site, the vendor does. I agree that you should rarely, if ever, install the "optional driver" updates from Windows Update, but please don't blame Microsoft for shoddy driver development. It came from Windows Update, yes, but it contains no Microsoft code - it's all nvidia.

but MS shouldnt put out drivers that are bad and not tested properly..

The drivers there are tested - they're likely also certified. However, if they don't work for you, contact the manufacturer and raise hell if need be - certified drivers should work properly. If they don't, make sure the vendor knows about it, or they'll continue writing drivers that don't work properly on your hardware!

The drivers there are tested - they're likely also certified. However, if they don't work for you, contact the manufacturer and raise hell if need be - certified drivers should work properly. If they don't, make sure the vendor knows about it, or they'll continue writing drivers that don't work properly on your hardware!

Well, I will write them a nasty letter today! :whistle:

well they dont work alot of ppl. and the driver isnt even on the nvidia website...

i ended up using the official nvidia driver from a few months ago and vista works fine now.

last week a new sata driver for nvidia sata controles (nf4 ehre) was released, it was actually the same as vefore (i think), but this time it installed and my vista was able to reboot :P (before, it would never boot again with it).

now i updated the one installed from WU, with 9.92

PD: isnt MS the one giving the whql certification ? whey shouldnt do it if it will kill systems :P

Edited by Sesshoumaru

Why should MS test NVIDIA's driver? It should be NVIDIA that enusres their driver works correctly with the OS.

then MS should not certify it as a WHQL!

last week a new sata driver for nvidia sata controles (nf4 ehre) was released, it was actually the same as vefore (i think), but this time it installed and my vista was able to reboot :P (before, it would never boot again with it).

now i updated the one installed from WU, with 9.92

PD: isnt MS the one giving the whql certification ? whey shouldnt do it if it will kill systems :P

So you experienced my same problem. Probably I got it worse because of the RAID setup. I blocked Win Update after last crash... Do you think it could be safe to install those download now?

well they dont work alot of ppl. and the driver isnt even on the nvidia website...

i ended up using the official nvidia driver from a few months ago and vista works fine now.

I noticed isn't on nvidia website...

I had to reinstall previous drivers on safemode to fix things...

But now looks like Win Update detects a new version of those "strange" nvidia drivers... What shall I do?