Windows NT4 Today

marxo

Well, I just acquired another Celeron computer, and I stuck NT 4.0 on it.

So I can basically test things designed for NT 4.0 if anyone needs me to.

Currently installing everything and getting some USB drivers.

It's a Celeron 800mhz with 512Mb of SD133 ram.

Sounds like a good project. Can someone port dx9 to it?

not going to happen. in one word: NEVER!

NT4 is a lousy OS for gaming since most games made now will never work under NT4 with its shoddy directx support

I will say after using NT4 Workstation edition on an old PC, it's a pretty reliable OS, after SP6a is installed that is (AND if you completely figured out how to setup and install NT4; NT4 is almost difficult to setup and a lack of the Add New Hardware wizard in NT4 made setting up hardware a challenge)

When NT4 first came out in late 1996 it was a horrible, unstable OS. It took MS at least three SPs to flush out several crucial bugs in NT4 to make it usable and more stable. I wonder, what is the reaction of NT4 users of microsoft cancelling the release of NT4 SP7. Has anyone tried to start an unofficial NT4 SP7 project?

Dude... It's not true that it can't be done... It was made by people like me and you, which makes it possible. But it is difficult and I really don't think that someone is interested in doing that. asiekierka did a slip-stream he called SP6.5 it's in this forum somewhere...

I will say after using NT4 Workstation edition on an old PC, it's a pretty reliable OS, after SP6a is installed that is (AND if you completely figured out how to setup and install NT4; NT4 is almost difficult to setup and a lack of the Add New Hardware wizard in NT4 made setting up hardware a challenge)

:blink:

Strange.

IMHO NT4 is the easiest and simplest Windows OS ever, even easier than 95/98 were.

Just few minutes and its installed and running if you prepared yourself and gathered all the drivers first.

Well if you know what's inside the box and if you have the drivers for it, it is pretty easy. But the lack of Add Hardware Wizard and PnP is what makes NT4 so non-user friendly....

wasnt there some way of getting PnP into nt4, i remember it being mentioned somewhere.

nt4 is by far the nicest version of windows to setup, the setup is sooo fast. Drivers can be an issue and so can irqs and stuff