Can't boot from disk made by Nlite 1.4 beta

Jelle Mees

I can't seem to get Nlite 1.4 to work properly.

I can add the update pack, the .net pack and the WMP11 pack.

Then I don't change a single setting, only the ones to create an unattended CD.

I burn the DVD, and when I insert it in Windows, it seems to work. But when I tried to load from it after a reboot, it doesn't do anything.

Normally, I would get "Press any key to boot from CDROM" or something like that. I don't get anything and my windows boots after that.

I see that there is a setting that allows you to disable and enable this message, I tried both settings, didn't get anything.

I tried pressing keys between my bios checks and the windows boot, nothing happend.

I tried on multiple computers, tried multiple brand disks, tried on multiple brand burners, tried multiple Nlite settings...nothing.

The only way to load the CD-Rom is when I'm already in Windows.

I know that it should work, because I used Nlite 1.3 or something like that some time ago.

To make sure I am doing thigs correct:

- I copy all software from my XP CD to a folder on my PC

- I add updates and installers using Nlite

- I add serial, country settings, etc... so that I don't have to do anything while installing

- I burn the folder on my PC to a DVD using Nero 6 and 7 ( tried both ) as Data-DVD

- I test if the CD ROM works in Windows ( XP Installation pop-up ) and it does

I did this in the past and it worked. I checked the 1.4 beta thread and I didn't see a single person with this problem so I must be doing something rong.

Edited by Jelle Mees

Personaly, I never burn files on a way you do. I always create ISO file and then I use Nero 7 to burn the ISO. Maybe this look 's like a long procedure, but it always work's for me. So I suggest you to try this way.

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

Personaly, I never burn files on a way you do. I always create ISO file and then I use Nero 7 to burn the ISO. Maybe this look 's like a long procedure, but it always work's for me. So I suggest you to try this way.

Cheers ;)

I did it like that the first time. But Nero 6 and 7 sad that the Iso was not the correct format or something like that to burn on the DVD. I used the default iso settings. The content on the data-dvd should work fine, an .iso file is nothing more then compressed content.

when i want to burn a bootable CD/DVD i make sure i burn it at 16x(Slower the better but takes longer lol), thats always worked for me

I always burn important data ( like this ) on 8x to be safe.

hmm i noramlly use DirectBurn and if not (Nero) i select CD/R at the top (if under 700MB) and then select burn image/saved whatever, the bottom one (has a picture of a folder), that always works

Less then 700MB is impossible when you add the updates, WMP11 and the .net pack.

mines always under 700MB easily but i remove the unwanted languages and keyboard layouts, Indexing Service, Windows Messenger, Tour & MSN Explorer, can you please upload your preset so i know what your adding. Thanks

Edited by legolash2o

search for a program called MagicISO or PowerISO (the trials are available - look on google) open up the image file and it says at the top either BOOTABLE or not.

If it doesnt say BOOTABLE then something is wrong with it, but if it says BOOTABLE then its the burning part of it

mines always under 700MB easily, can you please upload your preset so i know what your adding. Thanks

WMP11, .net pack ( 1.1, 2.0 & 3.0 ) + all updates since SP2 + paint.net 3.08

Doesn't mather what I add, I can also add movies, music and everything I wanted as long as I put it in a folder with the name "my documents". I just want my pc to boot from it. The things I added were things I've added in the past without any problems. To bad I can't remember wich version I was using.

please try the suggestion i put above, thanks

If it doesnt say BOOTABLE, put in a disk where you know it boots then go to file and OPEN CD\DVD, once its opened and says bootable go to Tools > Save Boot image (save it on your desktop).

Open up your image again which you just made with nlite go to tools > Load Boot Image (select the one you saved on desktop).

Then save your image (File > Save) and try burning again.

Hope that works

Edited by legolash2o

search for a program called MagicISO or PowerISO (the trials are available - look on google) open up the image file and it says at the top either BOOTABLE or not.

If it doesnt say BOOTABLE then something is wrong with it, but if it says BOOTABLE then its the burning part of it

Thank you. Very usefull info, I will try to build an ISO and see how that goes.

please try the suggestion i put above, thanks

If it doesnt say BOOTABLE, put in a disk where you know it boots then go to file and OPEN CD\DVD, once its opened and says bootable go to Tools > Save Boot image (save it on your desktop).

Open up your image again which you just made with nlite go to tools > Load Boot Image (select the one you saved on desktop).

Then save your image (File > Save) and try burning again.

Hope that works

Magic Iso sad not bootable so that's the reason it doesn't work.

Gonna try to build an iso with an old Nlite version and see if that works.

Open up your image again with MagicISO (when it says not bootable) then go to tools > load boot image and select the image below (after you downloaded it) and then save (file >Save)the image and burn

Extract the boot.rar first

Edited by legolash2o

Open up your image again with MagicISO (when it says not bootable) then go to tools > load boot image and select the image below (after you downloaded it) and then save (file >Save)the image and burn

Extract the boot.rar first

Going to install Vista in an hour. I will let you know if your image helped ;)

Thanks for everything so far. I will continue to work on this problem in a couple of days. First Vista on another partition.

Edited by Jelle Mees