Scan program options

xtremee

Hi all,

I wanna to know that Is there any program that can scan any program options then give me its registry?

i.e. if you have WMP 11 you can use such a program so that you can get its options in form of .reg file so that i can use this .reg file to control my program when i'm going to make unattended windows installation.

Hope that it is clear.

Thanks in advance

I personally use RegSnap to capture the reg entries of the program changes i want to retain and which isn't easily distinguished manually. There are several of these registry tracer type of apps, but RegSnap can e.g. export the captured entries directly to a regfile, include a 'Undo' regfile, convert all instances of 'HKEY_USERS\<current-user-ID' to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER', while also listing any possible file changes. There's a 30 day free trial and the Standard edition costs 39 USD or 31 Euro. Most ppl dosen't need the Professional edition, as it merely adds a command-line interface and remote registry capturing capabilities.

Edited by Martin H

ٌRegsnap is really a good program (Thanks for this one) but...

lets say that you have WMP 11 and select option to view video in 100% Zoom i wanna the program that can tell me which registry value(s) changed. I know that there is a program called regmon that can do this job but this program require that you must make change to every option and watch what change and it will be so difficult specially if you have big program like Office or what else. So,i'm looking for program that do scan automatically without need me to watch it and try each option and its corresponding registry

That is all

Thanks in advance and hope that it is clear now

Edited by xtremee

1. Start WMP11 and minimize it.

2. Start RegSnap and press F2 and select 'Registry snapshot only' and 'OK' and wait till it's done.

3. Maximize WMP11 and make the change you need captured and close the app.

4. Maximize RegSnap and press F2 and select 'OK' and wait till it's done.

5. Then press F5 and select 'Show modified key names and key values' and 'Generate REG files' and disable 'Truncate long dunps' and select 'Map keynames to current user' and then 'OK'.

Now you can see the new or changed registry entries listed, and in '%programfiles%\RegSnap\', you now have two reg files; One which ends with 'Redo.reg' and one with 'Undo.reg'. The 'Redo.reg' is the one you will need. I personally always look the reg files over first, and if there are some entries which is set by Windows and not the app itself, or some entries which are redundant, then i delete them.

Edited by Martin H

I think that no one understanding what i'm aim to !!

The program that you give me need to take snapshot then install the program and change the setting of it as i wanna then take the 2nd snapshot and compare them.

This not what i'm wanna. I wanna program that give me the corresponding registry for each option. if i use your program i will get the option registry if i change them or will have them with all registry of program and i will need to get the registry options alone and of course i will not know the registry of each option and i'm sure i will miss some and take some wrong registry with me. So, i'm looking for program that can scan .exe or any thing then give me the registry options of the program.

Hope it is clear now

! Such program don't exist, and will never exist. How could it possibily scan a exe to get options parameters located in the registry ?

You have to find them by hand by using a registry comparison software.

I dont think that having a couple of extra keys is dangerous for your system.

I suggest you change one option a the time, so you will be able to isolate each options.

I know it's a long process, but you will have to do it once...

Edited by albator

I had once previously looked at regshot, but quickly ditched it again since it, like most others, didn't supported outputting the captured registry entries into a reg file or in reg file format. I mean, just the bare though of having to e.g. manually import a wealth of seperate registry entries from regedit.exe and copy/paste them each into a reg file with notepad.exe, just to be able to make a 7-Zip, foobar2000 or Media Player Classic 7z switchless installer with all it's supported file type associations pre-enabled, was simply to much to bare.

But now after albator had recommended regshot in this thread, then i decided to check out the regshot homepage once more and about halfway down the page, then i saw mentioned a modification of regshot done by Paraglider, which added reg file format output capabilities, and now after having tested it out briefly, then i can happily say that i will be using this fine regshot mod instead of RegSnap from now on. It always makes me happy when i can get to exchange propriotary software out with freeware or open-source alternatives which functiones just as good or even better than the propriotary packages many times. I really love the simplistic interface of regshot, and that it does exactly what you need and not a penny more, so i just wanted to say many thanks to albator for his recomendation of regshot, since it lead me to discover this absolutely awesome modification of regshot, done by Paraglider, which makes an allready great app even more genious :) I really appreciate it, mate :)

Paraglider's modified version of regshot v1.7.2 :

http://regshot.blog.googlepages.com/RegShot1725.cab

CU, Martin.

Edited by Martin H

This modified version is indeed a great addition.

I use the software in a different goal. I hate having to reinstall games after reclone ( with acronis TI) my c partition.

Most games use the registry, so I do a backup of their keys. This way I dont have to reinstall bf2142 and repatch the game

at every time.

Thanks for all for letting me the new upgrad or regshot that really will help.

@albator,

! Such program don't exist, and will never exist. How could it possibily scan a exe to get options parameters located in the registry ?

Look

When you setup any program it spread all its registry key in your system beside some files and folders. When you going to change any option in the program it change the corresponding registry value in your system so that next time the program work it will remember your configuration as it read the registry.

History:

The programs was getting its configuration by reading some kind of patch file like .ini,...etc this work before windows 95 then the idea of making registry as a db for all windows options and programs so that it will speed the way of how programs load and run then this method more used in windows 98 and more in windows ME then it is more used in windows XP and Vista and the kind of patch files are reduced at least from Microsoft Windows and Programs but there are some programs that still use this mehtod tell today like imageshackert.exe and others.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if you check any program with any Hex editor you will find some registry of options as when you going to program any program ok this kind you need to let the program change the value in registry so you must have the registry inside your .exe or .dll depending on your programing.

That is all

Regards,

Xtremee

Sorry for going off-topic here, but i just wanted to redraw my recommendation of the modified Regshot version that i gave previously in this thread.

A little while ago i was about to make a 7z switchless installer of hkSFV v2.0.1.84(Edit: I have meanwhile decided to go back to QuickSFV again). The original installer would leave an explorer window open at the end of the silent install, and even though i could easilly overcome that small hurdle through either batch scripting or AutoIT, then i instead decided to just ditch the original installer completely and just let my 7z switchless installer itself make the directory, move the files, register the dll, import the reg keys and add the shortcuts.

When i used Regshot to capture the reg keys and file changes from the hkSFV install, then it would state that no changes had occured in '%programfiles%' ??? Also, i could see that the way the captured reg keys where written into the reg file where not completely chronological, but the worst part where that after i had made a test run of the newly made 7z switchless installer, then there wheren't any sfv or md5 files associated with the app! Then i instead tried to capture the reg keys with RegSnap and then replaced the reg file from the extracted 7z switchless installer and rebuilt it again, and then after running that installer, then the file associations where fine. Granted, the modified version of Regshot that i where using where based on v1.7.2 and there are newer versions out of the unmodified version of Regshot. Also, it can be that Regshot wasen't to blame, but that it was merely the modifications which had screwed things somewhat up. I don't know, but i have now gone back to RegSnap, since even if the newer versions of Regshot works perfectly(maybe just because it is unmodified ?), then since it still dosen't support outputting to reg files, then i will rather use something else which does. Also, RegSnap's option to automatically convert 'HKU_<id>' entries to 'HKCU' entries is really convenient at times where you have many of those entries. The automatically generated 'undo' reg file is also very nice for testing purposses, i must say.

So again, please forgive me for being off-topic, but i just wanted to say that i will now instead recommend RegSnap to people looking for a very good reg entries/file changes capturer, since it is very precise, supports outputting to reg files(including undo's), supports converting 'HKU_<id>' entries to 'HKCU' entries and supports setting up a list with reg keys to ignore(like MRU's etc). Finally, i will just add that even though the RegSnap installer is very annoying(silent-wise), then it's very easy to make a 7z switchless installer which installs and registers the app itself, without using the original installer.

Edited by Martin H

• 3 weeks later...