The findings of a Vista desktop admin

I'm currently in the process of testing our deployment and have been finding a few strange issues, so I thought I would post a log of them here to:

1) Possibly get some assistance from others who may have found the same issues

2) Update this thread with any solutions I find so that others might benefit from my ability to act like a guinnea pig ... :}

So, here goes ...

BDD 2007 LTI:

1. If you enter the UK keyboard code ( KeyboardLocale=0809:00000809 ) in the bootstrap for an LTI it selects an Arabic (101) Keyboard layout instead.

2. If I use the following in LTI rules:

SkipLocaleSelection=Yes

UILanguage=en-GB

UserLocale=en-GB

KeyboardLocale=0809:00000809

It seems to be ignored and I get a window immediately before the installation starts asking me to confirm my keyboard, language and locale, once Vista has installed I then have 2 input locales, English (United States) & English (United Kingdom) ... the only way I seem able to get around this is not to use 'SkipLocaleSelection' allowing me to manually select the locales which then installs Vista correctly with with a single, correct locale: English (United Kingdom)

3. I'm deploying an Nvidia graphics driver via BDD, in order to make this happen I've had to use the registry hack mentioned here. Does anyone know of a way to set this so that each time I rebuild our .wim boot image the registry key will automatically be included, rather than having to remember to mount the image and insert it each time.

Office 2007 Enterprise:

1. When installing Office 2007 with .msp updates in the 'Updates' folder, 3 Runtime error boxes appear each reporting, Error: 'System' is undefined ... at the very same time the sidebar gadgets corrupt.

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Despite the errors Office 2007 seems to install fine, but it concerns me that something isn't quite right ... Office 2007 deployed without any .msp updates installs without error.

2. Has anyone found a way to default the Outlook 2007 Reading Pane to Bottom (or any other position) for all users?

3. Has anyone found a way to set a default font in Word for all users without resorting to fiddling around with Normal.dotx, or is that the only way?

Windows Vista Enterprise:

1. When a user with a roaming profile subscribes to RSS feeds using IE7, the very next time they log on the feeds have disappeared, this seems to be caused by Microsoft deciding to save RSS feed information in 'local settings' which obviously doesn't get saved into a roaming profile. Has anyone found or developed a work around for this? FIXED - See post #7

2. When a user with a roaming profile adds extra gadgets to the Sidebar, the next time they logon the gadgets have gone, this seems to be the same issue as mentioned above, Microsoft saves the Sidebar settings in 'local settings' Has anyone found or developed a work around for this? FIXED - See post #7

3. Browsing history also suffers from the above issue, its starting to become clear to me how Microsoft achieved the speed increase when roaming users log onto a pc ... they simply prevented a bunch of useful settings from roaming :rolleyes:FIXED - See post #7

4. As I'm deploying in a business environment I have already embeded our company logo as 'user.bmp' into the Vista .wim this is then assigned via a group policy to all our users in order to ensure its the default user picture, however I'd really like to have the same logo showing in the 'user picture box' after pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL (before a user logs on) has anyone found a way to replace the transparent sqaure with a logo prior to a user logging on?

That's probably enough for now ... as I say I'll keep posting back as I find more issues or solutions

Many thanks

Benzini

Edited by benzini

I'm currently in the process of testing our deployment and have been finding a few strange issues, so I thought I would post a log of them here to:

1) Possibly get some assistance from others who may have found the same issues

2) Update this thread with any solutions I find so that others might benefit from my ability to act like a guinnea pig ... :}

So, here goes ...

BDD 2007 LTI:

1. If you enter the UK keyboard code ( KeyboardLocale=0809:00000809 ) in the bootstrap for an LTI it selects an Arabic (101) Keyboard layout instead.

2. If I use the following in LTI rules:

SkipLocaleSelection=Yes

UILanguage=en-GB

UserLocale=en-GB

It seems to be ignored and I get a window immediately before the installation starts asking me to confirm my keyboard, language and locale, once Vista has installed I then have 2 input locales, English (United States) & English (United Kingdom) ... the only way I seem able to get around this is not to use 'SkipLocaleSelection' allowing me to manually select the locales which then installs Vista correctly with with a single, correct locale: English (United Kingdom)

To skip the first Deployment Wizard screen when you choose the keyboard for the wizard, you have to customize Bootstrap.ini on the BDD and recreate the WinPE LiteTouch Image (Update on deployment point).

Bootstrap.ini is in the WInPE WIM image.

For the available rules, check :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...90322.aspx#EAAA

Mine looks like (from memory) :

[settings]

Priority=Default

[Default]

DEployRoot=\\xxxxx\Distribution$

SkipBDDWelcom=YES

KeyboardLocale=040c:00000040c

( KeyboardLocale=fr-FR is sometimes found in some example but it never worked in my case)

You can add the following lines also if you want to skip the authentication :

UserID=xxx

UserDomain=xxx

UserPassword=xxx

Thomas

Edited by Largo

Hi Largo,

Unfortunately I had already tried what you suggest, I re-tried it yesterday just to be sure but I still get Arabic (101) if I set the following in the bootstrap.ini

SkipBDDWelcome=Yes

On the Office 2007 issue, yesterday I re-downloaded the 18 .msp updates in the Office 2007 'Update' folder, all are official updates, however during deployment I still get the 3 error boxes and sidebar corruption. I guess its time to start eliminating updates until the problem stops. Here's the list of updates:

kb932080, kb933493, kb933688, kb934062, kb934173, kb934390, kb934391, kb934393, kb934395, kb934670, kb935514, kb936509, kb936514, kb936558, kb936646, kb937494, kb937608, kb938888

Would anyone be so kind as to test the BDD 2007 side of things (ie. pretend that you're deploying in a en-GB environment if you're not already) just to confirm the issues described? I've had a friend build a BDD 2007 environment (to remove myself from being the possible cause!) and he's confirmed the same issues, it would be great to get a third confirmation on this matter.

I'm also having an issue with Realtek HD Audio drivers (for the ALC880 chip) at the moment, I've added them to the Out-Of-Box Drivers in BDD 2007, they get copied to C:\Drivers during deployment but Vista decides that its own RTM drivers are more up-to-date (or have better signing / certificates?) and thus the drivers aren't used, anyone found a way of forcing driver deployment?

I feel so close to finally being able to deploy, and yet I'm being tripped up by some seemingly simple issues ...

Cheers

Benzini

Edited by benzini

Benzini,

I am experiencing many of the issues you have mentioned, nice to know I am not the only one! Unfortunately I do not have many answers but here is what I have so far:

- When I apply a base Vista image (based on the Enterprise DVD) the wizard gets skipped no problem at the start but as soon as I try and use a custom build based on a custom image I get the Windows Install step asking about the Language, Time/Currency and keyboard locale at the start of the deployment process. I think the bootstrap.ini settings just apply to the earlier step when it first boots to WinPE, prior to connecting to your BDD share. I've tried stripping all the settings out of my custom build/image but the only way I can see to get rid of this wizard appearing is to use a ZTI process (through SMS) which we do not have implemented at present.

- For the Nvidia driver reg fix you could try amending your unattend.xml file of the build and inserting a run syncronous command into the specialize part of the file. You may need to try out a few commands for this but I have something in here which just puts an entry in the registry with the build ID e.g. cmd /c reg add HKLM\SYSTEM /v BuildVersion /t REG_SZ /d BG-VISTA-32-CUSTOM-BUILDv1.

- I am also getting the runtime errors during the office install. I have some general Vista updates being applied (about to add more as now out of date) but have not yet added any office updates. The ones being applied are -

KB905866

KB925528

KB925902

KB928089

KB929685

KB929735

KB929777

KB930178

KB930857

KB931099

KB931213

KB931573

KB931768

KB932246

KB933566

KB936824

KB936825

- I am also trying to customize office on the build, particulalrly Word and Outlook settings, so that the default settings are more sutied to our organisation and that when users are re-imaged they have all the necessary settings captured (through USMT). There are a load of settings that can be done through Group Policy but I cant find any to set the reading pane on Outlook. I also haven't found any other way to set a default font up without amending the normal.dotm template. It would also be nice if the default template had more quick access toolbar commands on by default.

- Does anyone know how to disable TCP IPv6 as part of the build? I've found a few suggestions here but not been able to get this to work, guessing it might be due to every NIC being different.

Karen

Wow...I can't believe there are a ton of issues like this...I'll be looking into rolling this out in my organization sometime soon too...I'm happy to find this thread...keep posting if you find solutions / workarounds to some of these problems!

Hi Specialk44

I wouldn't wish these little 'challenges' on anyone, but in a way I'm glad to hear you're experiencing the same as me!

I get the LTI wizard issues even with an untouched Vista Enterprise .wim so its interesting to hear that yours seems to work fine, unless you mean you don't even use an unattend.xml? I think I've always deployed with one, so might have to try without.

The Nvidia driver reg fix is actually only of use on the boot.wim, it seems that the boot image needs a little more memory assigned than whatever the default is in order to inject the Nvidia drivers before the Vista Enterprise install begins. So thanks for the info, but unfortunately it wont work in this case, might come in hand in the future though so I have noted it down!

Again its odd that you're getting the Office runtime errors without any Office updates being present, In my case a fully updated Vista Enterprise would install an out-of-the-box version of Office 2007 Enterprise without error, I only found that the runtime errors started to appear after adding Office updates ... I'm yet to find the time to start pulling out a couple of updates at a time to eliminate the possible cause.

It amazes me the level of customization you can achieve with Office 2007, some things I wouldn't even want to pre-set for our users as I feel they are personal preference, however the 2 simplest things I'd like to do is set the reading pane to bottom (so that I dont get a slew of calls asking me how to make it look like Outlook 2000!) and to set our corporate font as the default in Word ... you'd think someone at MS might have thought something like this would be a good idea? Obviously not ...

Unfortunately I haven't dabbled in IPv6 as yet, but I'm sure someone here must have ...

I have a similar thread with other replies at the following link ... might be worth keeping an eye on both posts for developments

All the very best

Benzini

PS: I'm one week away from deployment ... I'm starting to seriously consider my options & hacks I'll need in order to get this delivered on time ...

Edited by benzini

Hi all,

Ok, I've worked out a quick and dirty hack for 'Windows Vista Enterprise' items 1, 2 and 3 from my original post ... Im not saying this is in any way tested or for use in production environments, please dont blame me if your computer throws a fit and bursts into flames! ...

Its a simple registry hack, deployed via an AD GPO as part of the user logon ...

A batch file calls the .reg file with the following:

regedit /s \\Server-Name\Path To Your Registry File\RoamLocalProfile.reg

The .reg file contains the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"ExcludeProfileDirs"="AppData\\Local\\Temp;AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\OneNote;AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Burn;AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\CardSpace;AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Temporary Internet Files;AppData\\Local\\VirtualStore;AppData\\LocalLow;$Recycle.Bin"

As you can see I've started adding a few 'excludes' ... I'd welcome any others that people come up with in order to tighten up the amount of data that roams.

With this hack in place IE7 RSS Feeds, IE7 Browsing History and Gadget Bar changes all roam

Cheers

Benzini

Edited by benzini

• 1 month later...

Am I on the right track?

Our end goal is the same Vista Enterprise and Office 2007 using BDD

I have BDD installed and connected, howerver I'm having trouble with my Unattend.xml that I'm sure over time I will get worked out.

I wanted to run down my process for getting an image and makeing sure I was on the right track.

1. load Vista Enterprise out of the box on a clean system.

- make all my settings

- remove things I don't want

- clean up the start menu, etc.

2. run sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown

3. boot to WinPE cd

- go to command promp and copy image using imagex to BDD share

4. in BDD workbench

- Add it to operating systems

- Add it to builds

- Add it to Deployment Points

5. modify my unattend.xml for the correct wim that I captured

6. create a new WinPE boot ISO

7. Boot another PC to new WinPE boot disc

8. If it works repeat step 7 299 more times

- if not post this thread to another forum

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Reg hacks are not really needed for some of your issues.

Regarding keyboard locale... using the numbers only works for XP. In Vista the actual setting is the locale (ex: KeyboardLocale=en-us ).

There are two .ini files on the BDD server locaded in: Distribution$\Control folder.

Bootstrap.ini and CustomSettings.ini (open and edit using notepad... make sure you backup copies before editing and do all this at your own risk... i'm just an id*** telling you what to do).

You have to configure both (and yes I discovered all this the hard way).

I have my deployment system reduced to 3 screens (everything else is set and hidden)

Those 3 visible screens being:

Configure the Computer name (option left open for techs to enter machine names)

Select an operating system image to install (techs can select image that corresponds to machine type and dept)

Ready to Begin (So techs have a starting point to begin actual deployment).

I set up a network shortcut unique to their id's so they can launch the process pointing to ( \\server_name\distribution$\Scripts\LiteTouch.vbs )

Here are what my ini files look like (ips, names, server names and passwords removed for obvious reasons):

Boot.ini *note i changed server name to it's ip address as we do not have WINS enabled on our network.

[settings]

Priority=Default

[Default]

DeployRoot=\\xx.xx.xx.xxx\Distribution$

UserID=user_name

UserPassword=user_password

UserDomain=domain

DomainAdmin=admin_name

DomainAdminDomain=domain

DomainAdminPassword=admin_password

CustomSettings.ini

[settings]

Priority=Default

Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]

OSInstall=Y

UserDataLocation=NONE

SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES

SkipCapture=YES

SkipAdminPassword=YES

SkipProductKey=YES

SkipApplications=YES

DeploymentType=REFRESH

DoCapture=NO

ComputerBackupLocation=NONE

SkipDeploymentType=YES

SkipBitLocker=YES

SkipBitLockerDetails=YES

SkipComputerBackup=YES

SkipDomainMembership=YES

SkipTimeZone=YES

SkipUserData=YES

SkipLocaleSelection=YES

Keyboard=en-us

TimeZoneName=Central Standard Time

AdminPassword=admin_password

BDERequired=NO

DomainAdmin=admin_name

DomainAdminDomain=domain

DomainAdminPassword=admin_password

JoinDomain=domain

KeyboardLocale=en-us

UserID=user_name

UserPassword=user_password

UserDomain=domain

UserLocale=en-us

DeployRoot=\\xx.xx.xx.xxx\Distribution$

Try changing these settings one at a time so you get a feel for what is happening.

Note that user and admin credentials and deploy root required in both .ini files.

You can find a list of selections in your BDD server C:\Program Files\BDD 2007\Documentation\Configuration Reference.doc

*note this document has dots showing if you can use it for ZTI, LTI or both. Also will tell you what command works for XP and what works for Vista.

A full list of all settings you can customize can be found in Distribution$\Scripts\ZitGather.xml (open it in notepad).

I can also tell you, use Autounattend.xml configurations as a last resort (ie: the settings you want that are not found in customsettings.ini). BDD heavily favors this ini file.

Another tip: inside your raw vista build go to: Distribution$\Control\Build\Unattend.xml, open it with notepad and change Protect your PC to 3. Default is one and has autoupdates running. There are several updates for vista that can severely hamper BDD build creation and deployment processes.

Regarding question 3. here are the commands i use with imagex to move my image to the server:

Boot to WinPE environment.

net use z: \\xx.xx.xx.xxx\distribution$\captures

e: (i created a WinPE usb stick)

imagex /compress fast /flags "Enterprise" /verify /capture c: z:\image_name.wim "description"

And for deployment setup/deployment:

Go to BDD server.

Add OS.

Add and configure Build (custom drivers, etc...)

Update Deploy Point

Deploy through the network or burn a copy of LiteTouch.iso and boot to target machine.

My setup currently will give you 4 screens if booting from CD. first one in this case is BDD deploy welcome screen (not sure why cd is different, but still works).

Sit back in pure BDD Deployment Satisfaction!

Get promotion with big fat raise and become the most popular guy in your chatroom/message boards/at home with your 200 pet cats/etc...

Hope this helps you guys, as it took me several gruelling months grinding this out to get to this point.

Again, do all or any at your own risk, what works for me may not work for you.

Hi Flayofish,

Thanks for your post, however, if you try replacing 'en-us' settings with 'en-gb' you'll soon see the Arabic issue! ... myself and others have already tried all that you suggest and more to resolve this keyboard issue but to no avail ...

I've tried an 'en-us' install and it does indeed work without fault, probably because this had 100% testing seeing as MS is an American company :rolleyes: there's a long standing history of UK settings not working 100% ... its worth pointing out that this is not just with MS products, most software seems to default to US settings, printer drivers being the worst as they often default to 'Letter' paper size rather than 'A4'

I've just finished 50% of our deployment, and so far all is looking good, I've even managed to modify the LTI to allow selection of an Active Directory OU from a drop down list so that the PC's install into their correct OU's allowing any assigned msi's to install with or immediately after the build, I'll post details about this for anyone thats interested when I get back to work on Tuesday / Wednesday.

At the moment our LTI flows like this:

1. PXE Boot into WinPE

2. Select BDD / LTI Keyboard Locale (Grrrr!) *

3. Select the OU that computer installs into

4. System & Keyboard Locale (Grrrr! Again!) *

4. Select Applications to install (those that wouldn't repackage as msi's)

5. Confirm & Start Build

I would love to get rid of the * items ... but it seems that we'd have to move our business to the US in order to do this! ;-)

Cheers

Benzini

Edited by benzini

Hi Benzini,

We have finally got our deployment working the way we would like, skipping the keyboard locale wizards at the beginning but setting the final locale to UK settings. Unfortunately we do not have a PXE server which works with BDD yet so we are booting from a USB key but the only manual step for us is to enter the password for connecting to the distribution share (which we could also put into the bootstrap.ini file if we wanted to) and the rest is zero-touch, even adding the machine to the required OU as this has been specified within the role on the BDD database.

Here are the relevant settings from our bootstrap.ini and customsettings.ini files.

Bootstrap.ini file

[settings]

Priority=Default

[Default]

SkipBDDWelcome=YES

KeyboardLocale=0409:00000809

userID=%user id used to connect to share%

userDomain=%your domain%

DeployRoot=%path to deployment share%

Customsettings.ini -

[Default]

OSInstall=YES

SkipWizard=YES

UserDataLocation=NONE

SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES

SkipCapture=NO

SkipAdminPassword=YES

SkipProductKey=YES

SkipLocaleSelection=YES

BuildID=VISTA-32-CUSTOM

TimeZone=85

TimeZoneName=GMT Standard Time

UILanguage=en-US

UILanguagefallback=en-GB

InputLocale=en-GB

SystemLocale=en-GB

UserLocale=en-GB

KeyboardLocale=en-GB

Not sure if you really need the fallback option but we put this in during testing and have left it in there. I think as long as you set the UILanguage to en-US it should skip past the initial Vista wizard but by setting the other locales to en-GB the final build should have the appropriate settings. Works for us anyway.

Hope this helps.

Edited by specialk44