Enabling Microsoft Update by default

Killgore

Hi!

Is there a way to enable Microsoft Update without user interaction? I install with IUCTL.CAB and MUWEB_SITE.CAB integrated, but nevertheless after each installation when I want to use MU I have to click through a few confirmations, EULA etc.

Is it possible to enable MU automatically?

Edited by Killgore

Hi,

i think you need to include wusetup.cab

i also use this reg to rename the IE menu to "Microsoft Update"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]

"Windows Update Menu Text"="Microsoft Update"

Alright. This has been asked a few times before so I looked at it again. It's more simple than I thought.

Please use the new test release but read the instructions in the changelog.

@EmRoD

Thanks for the tip on the link title change. It's now included in HFSLIP. :)

FYI: "wusetup.cab" is not supported.

I got it to work for WinXP, but a "The memory could not be read" error shows up at the end of the Post-Setup Wizard. I need to figure out if this is coincidence or not.

The "Windows Update Menu Text" hack doesn't seem to work for IE7. Oh well...

Hold on. It looks like this only works on Win2K. Even the title change from "Windows Update" to "Microsoft Update" fails on WinXP. I updated the info in the test releases thread.

I figured it out myself. Guess it's not always good to download everything as soon as it appears. ;)

Fixed in 70714b.

I was doing it manually before and now let HFSLIP take care of it. Well... "When the machine beats its care taker..." :P

Works like a charm. :) Thank you.

one big bonus for me (although some would call it cosmetic) is that now I can run MBSA offline in GUI mode. previously I had to use the command prompt executable (MBSACLI.EXE) to get it to run in offline mode and show which updates were installed and which were missing. excellent work :thumbup

Edit: there, changed it myself :whistle:

Edited by johndoe74

by the way, maybe you should add to the changelog that MBSA offline GUI mode (or MBSA GUI offline mode) is now available (it had always worked with RyanVM packs but never before with hfslip until these last few updates)