XP and Vista on one Harddisc

quotee

Hi there,

I had XP installed on one partition of my harddisc, suddenly vista came out, and I had to install it ;-) ..

My PC is a AMD 3400+ S.754 1MB L2 Cache, 1024MB DDR, 400MHz, MSI K8Neo Platinum. - however, my PC does not seem to be strong enough fpr vista, everything is a bit slow and laggy..

Now guys, how can I remove Vista without crashing my XP?

- can I just boot up in XP and delete the partition where I installed Vista?

any suggestions?

thanks & greetz

quotee

Depends.

Where are the boot files located? On XP partition or Vista partition? XP is relying on Vista boot files to load. So if they are on the Vista partition, you won't be able to boot XP.

If they are on the XP partition, then you can delete Vista partition (but I would make a backup of whole disk just in case).

Check where they are by enabling view of hidden system files. Look for a file called bootmgr and a folder called BOOT in both XP and Vista partition.

Also, make note of which partition is active in disk management. Most likely, if you installed from within XP, then XP is active and boot files are located in XP partition - in which case if you are able to delete the partition, then you can do so.

If you can find the file bootsect.exe on any of the partitions, make a backup of that in case you have to fix the boot sector for XP (which should not be necessary since bootmgr can boot XP) but just in case.

You must first delete completely the vista partition. You can also reformat the vista partition. coming to removal of vista boot loader, you need to have win xp installation cd. Boot from the cd, choose repair option. Choose fix mbr and then fix boot options, this will rewrite vista boot loader with xp boot loader.

Hi there,

I had XP installed on one partition of my harddisc, suddenly vista came out, and I had to install it ;-) ..

My PC is a AMD 3400+ S.754 1MB L2 Cache, 1024MB DDR, 400MHz, MSI K8Neo Platinum. - however, my PC does not seem to be strong enough fpr vista, everything is a bit slow and laggy..

Now guys, how can I remove Vista without crashing my XP?

- can I just boot up in XP and delete the partition where I installed Vista?

any suggestions?

thanks & greetz

quotee

try this.........

Delete an OS entry on start up using boot.ini

Posted 8/12/2002 by TweakXP Member

If you ever had two operating systems dual booting and wanted to delete the option on start up to choose which OS to start, simply do the following.

1. First, open a command prompt. Click start, then run and enter cmd, then click ok.

2. Rnter the following command to see the boot info "bootcfg /query"

(this will display your boot settings, what you will need is to take note of which boot entry ID you wish to delete.)

3. Then type the following "bootcfg /delete /id 2

(In this case we have chosen to delete the second OS entry which we noted down earlier from the bootcfg query command.)

4. Then once you restart you won't get the option to pick what OS you want to load.

The above is good if you uninstalled an OS but XP still queries you which OS to load.