35 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Maxtor
    • Western Digital
    • IBM
    • Hitachi
    • Seagate
    • Other

wow i didnt expect this to get so many replies so quick :lol: i was reading a review (from 2006) between maxtor's, seagate's barracuda and western digital's WD5000YS (I dont remember what the maxtor was) 500gb drives and the WD came out on top followed by the seagate then the maxtor. i just looked up the price for the 5000YS and the cheapest i found it was for $100, im about to jump on that when i get the money. i just then realized how much 500gb actually was, i could make my c drive 50gb, have 15gb set aside for linux and still have 465gb left, thats alot of space! :blink:

well what drives did it compair? was it seagate's 7200.9 or 7200.10?

it was the maxtor maxline pro, Seagate Barracuda NL35.2, and the WD 5000YS link

You forgot to add Samsung in there.

thats what the "other" option is for ;) i knew i would forget atleast one

I prefer Seagate and using it in most systems, but recently switched to Western Digital. The Sata 80GB drives were making a lot of noise whereas WD seems to go fine. Both are reliable though.

There is only one vendor in my city who works with WD and they also get it from their Head Office in other city.

Try the new Samsungs, with there 166GB platters, and you find out that it can be even more quieter ;).

Samsung is still relatively new to the market compared to some of the other big names. I'm a little skeptical about using those drives in my systems...

Samsung is missing from the list

WD and Samsung are the only drives i use, wouldn't touch the rest with a bargepole

btw, seagate and maxtor are now the merged; ibm and hitachi are also merged

Try the new Samsungs, with there 166GB platters, and you find out that it can be even more quieter ;).

Samsung is still relatively new to the market compared to some of the other big names. I'm a little skeptical about using those drives in my systems...

i've got 6 of them (5x400 and 1x200), awesome little drives, pretty silent, and no overheating problems like maxtors

Okay, but they are not the newest ones with 166GB platters. Those ones are even more smooth then the older ones. Only problem I had with Samsung is that they burned out, yes it´s strange, those 160GB PATA versions from 2 years ago. When the drive shows burnmarks they void warranty here in Mexico, this is why I staid away from them for 2 years (law sux here by the way).

Seagate! I've been a fan ever since I got my 300 MB (Yes, MB not GB :P) ATA drive! Since then, I've had 5 different Seagate drives. And guess what, the 300 MB drive is still working today! Not that I actually use it, but I still keep it around as a proof of how reliable Seagate drives are! :)

I also have a lot of respect for Western Digital, IMHO they make some of the fastest drives. Most benchmarks I've seen have WD at the top with Seagate a close second.

Maxtor drives are amongst the worst I've across, but Samsung is hands down the worst. Cheapest but zero reliability. I don't know of the newer Samsungs, but atleast the older ones are notorious for crashing at the most unexpected times. I personally have followed the events of atleast three different crashes. (They all start off the same way - chugging noises, followed by booting problems, bad sectors and finally the crash). Samsung's Optical drives are even worst. :P

I don't know of the newer Samsungs, but atleast the older ones are notorious for crashing at the most unexpected times. I personally have followed the events of atleast three different crashes. (They all start off the same way - chugging noises, followed by booting problems, bad sectors and finally the crash). Samsung's Optical drives are even worst. :P

They did a good job to improve there trash (yeah trash, to much RMA). I agree 200% with you on what you said BUT: times change and so did the products from Samsung, now even there optical drives are good :).