35 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Maxtor
    • Western Digital
    • IBM
    • Hitachi
    • Seagate
    • Other

Which drive brand do you like the best? I'm a fan of Western Digital, I've had the same WD800JB in my computer since 2001 and its never given me problems (maybe until now), my dads has 2 74gb raptors and they run flawlessly too. I also have a Maxtor Diamond Max +9 SATA which IMO is pretty crappy. I had my first one for about a year and then it randomly died on me, so I RMA'd it and got a new one then almost exactly a year later it started acting up again (it would spin down randomly for 5-30 seconds then spin back up), it also runs extremely hot (47-48c avg and it just hit 55c while running scan disk) compared to my WD800JB. If I place my hand under where it is I can feel the heat pouring off of it (when I used to run a HDD monitor it would always tell me it was way to hot) and my friend just had one die on him randomly last month. Hopefully the quality of their drives will go up since theyre owned by Seagate now.

I'm definitely in the market for a new HDD, I'm thinking about anywhere between a 350-500gb drive with a 16mb cache. I'll probably go with a WD again since they have never failed me (well compared to maxtor).

Edited by Brando569

I used to use Seagate drives all the time, but switched over to Western Digital. The main reason? Noise. The 7200.9 and 7200.10 series hard drives sound horrible during seeking compared to WD drives. I've got two WD5000AAKS drives in my tower, on top of the other 4 drives in there, and the overall sound quality and level is the same.

I've got 3 WD2500JBs (2 in my file server) and boy do they ever make a lot of noise, but they're quite reliable. I just bought a 250GB Seagate and it's WAY more silent than the WDs. But overall, I like both companies and their drives. :)

wow i didnt expect this to get so many replies so quick :lol: i was reading a review (from 2006) between maxtor's, seagate's barracuda and western digital's WD5000YS (I dont remember what the maxtor was) 500gb drives and the WD came out on top followed by the seagate then the maxtor. i just looked up the price for the 5000YS and the cheapest i found it was for $100, im about to jump on that when i get the money. i just then realized how much 500gb actually was, i could make my c drive 50gb, have 15gb set aside for linux and still have 465gb left, thats alot of space! :blink:

I've got 3 WD2500JBs (2 in my file server) and boy do they ever make a lot of noise, but they're quite reliable. I just bought a 250GB Seagate and it's WAY more silent than the WDs. But overall, I like both companies and their drives. :)

The WD2500JB's were bad for noise, but of the 500GB drives, the WD is the quietest of the bunch.

Both companies are great in terms of reliability, but I'll take the quieter drives of the two. :)

wow i didnt expect this to get so many replies so quick :lol: i was reading a review (from 2006) between maxtor's, seagate's barracuda and western digital's WD5000YS (I dont remember what the maxtor was) 500gb drives and the WD came out on top followed by the seagate then the maxtor. i just looked up the price for the 5000YS and the cheapest i found it was for $100, im about to jump on that when i get the money. i just then realized how much 500gb actually was, i could make my c drive 50gb, have 15gb set aside for linux and still have 465gb left, thats alot of space! :blink:

well what drives did it compair? was it seagate's 7200.9 or 7200.10?

The WD2500JB's were bad for noise, but of the 500GB drives, the WD is the quietest of the bunch.

Try the new Samsungs, with there 166GB platters, and you find out that it can be even more quieter ;).

i vote for seagate, i'm running 2 in this computer without any problems whatsoever for the last few years now.

out of all those hitachi is the worst for me, i lost 400GB+ of un-backed up data on a brand new drive after just a few days of it running due to it failing on me.