My experience installing Windows 98SE

BenoitRen

On 2/5/2019 at 7:12 AM, LoneCrusader said:

Can you please elaborate further on this?

Of course.

Here is original post.

The translation:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect]
"IgnorePnPBIOS"="1"
(string value)

If this key is "1" then disable any PnP (ACPI BIOS and PnP BIOS). If this key is absent then will work well known ACPIOption.
So use the next table to switch:
"IgnorePnPBIOS"="1" - PnP disabled
"IgnorePnPBIOS" is absent and "ACPIOption"=dword:00000002 - use PnP BIOS
"IgnorePnPBIOS" is absent and "ACPIOption"=dword:00000001 - use ACPI BIOS

Of course, don't forget to full redetect your hardware in control panel after any changes.

P.S. This registry key is exactly what "setup /p i" does. And it is actual for Win95 also.

Edited by SweetLow
Some significant corrections.

• 4 years later...
On 2/5/2019 at 12:48 AM, SweetLow said:

Of course.

Here is original post.

The translation:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect]
"IgnorePnPBIOS"="1"
(string value)

If this is "1" then disable any PnP (ACPI BIOS and PnP BIOS). If this is "0" (or absent) then will work well known ACPIOption.
So use the next table to switch:
"IgnorePnPBIOS"="1" - PnP disabled
"IgnorePnPBIOS"="0" and  "ACPIOption"=dword:00000002 - use PnP BIOS
"IgnorePnPBIOS"="0" and  "ACPIOption"=dword:00000001 - use ACPI BIOS

Of course, don't forget to full redetect your hardware in control panel after any changes.

P.S. This registry key is exactly what "setup /p i" does. And it is actual for Win95 also.

This really works for me. For several years I could not fully solve the problem of correctly migrating Windows 98 from an old computer with functional ACPI (Conroe865PE + x6800) to a newer one (Q87 + 4790k), by transferring (Clone) the old IDE PATA HDD to a new AHCI SATA SSD where ACPI is used by default and every time after detecting devices and rebooting, a blue screen fell out. At first, I managed to modify the unofficial Intel INF from LoneCrusader:

http://lonecrusader.x10host.com/intel_inf.html

in which I deleted the line regarding ACPI. As a result, an unknown device was constantly hanging in the device manager, designated as "%*PNP0C08.DeviceDesc%" under a yellow question mark, and the PCI bus had to be added separately, by hand. This in detail caused some discomfort and attracted attention every time, although it allowed the use of Windows. I was looking for just such a way that does not require reinstalling an already configured Windows. But only recently found it. Used the following values: 

"IgnorePnPBIOS"="0" 
"ACPIOption"=dword:00000002

As a result, ACPI disappears completely! Correctly. Finally. Naturally, I redownloaded INTELINF_9.4.0.1017_98SE.ZIP and used it in its original version. And all the devices were correctly detected and installed (Except, perhaps, "PCI Communication Device"). The PCI bus was picked up again and also completely automatically! What didn't exist before. Thus, the functionality of these registry settings under Windows 98 RTM (Gold) is fully confirmed.

And my question is this: is it possible to somehow configure or replace the ACPI Table even before Windows starts, so that ACPI still works correctly? To make Windows shut down automatically without pressing a button (This action is still required). Instead of ACPI, this function can theoretically be performed by APM, but it is not at all in Device Manager and it is not even detected when detecting devices. It is not seen among the system ones even when trying to add a device manually (Indicating the path to the INF folder). Is it possible to force install APM (Or fix ACPI)? Support for APM is declared by the manufacturer, but for some reason it is not detected and does not work. I have to turn off the PC with the button (After the inscription "It`s now safe to turn off your computer."). Whereas on the old hardware it turns off automatically by itself. Perhaps here it needs to be somehow previously activated from under DOS (or by means of RU.EFI at the BIOS stage)? Thank you.

On 8/22/2023 at 5:18 PM, defuser said:

is it possible to somehow configure or replace the ACPI Table even before Windows starts

It is possible before and (much easy to do) WHEN Windows starts. ACPI driver in Win98 supports overriding of ACPI tables through the Registry.

On 8/22/2023 at 5:18 PM, defuser said:

I have to turn off the PC with the button (After the inscription "It`s now safe to turn off your computer.").

1. mercury did the patch to win.com to run additional software on exiting from Windows which in turn can power off PC

2. without any patch you can do the same thing just running above mentioned software in MS-DOS Mode

n.b. - both questions are offtopic for this thread

p.s. I edited my previous post

Edited by SweetLow