Controlling installation order

Phil Edwards

Hello all

Just signed up to the forum to post a noob question :-)

I'm building up a custom install for my machine at home - I just spent the better part of 2 days pulling together all my favourite apps, tweaks and other little 'fixes' that we all end up with after a while and I'm determined that next time I trash the box either deliberately or accidentally, I'll be able to re-install without so much effort.

I have a bunch of packages to install which are all related to the Python scripting language - specifically, I want to be able to install Python itself followed by my favourite IDE, wxPython, Python WIN32 addons and all my application building/distributing gubbins that I normally use.

The key to all this is that Python needs to be installed before any of the others, but I can't see an obvious way to control what order addon packs are installed in. At this point, reading the FAQ and other docs seems to suggest that I need to create one big 'uber-addon' which contains everything in one large CAB file and then have the individual silent install commands one after the other in my INI file.

Does this sound about right, or is there any easier way?

Just for info :

The order is also pretty important, if you want to install the FireFox-, JAVA- and OpenOfficeAddons.

If Java doesn´t detect FF, the Javaplugin won´t be installed into FF, if Oo doesn´t detect Java it will install the old version, it comes with.

.Net has to be there before the nlite addon can be installed and so on...

Agi

use teh arrows to move the addons up (first) or down (last) teh list

Doh! You're right...$deity knows why I didn't notice those little buttons before now. How stupid do I feel!?

I'll crawl back under my rock now, thanks... :blushing:

Once I've got these extra bits fully tested, I'll post them to the contributions section to try to make up for it. :whistle:

Is it OK to nlite an install with just the stuff that has to be there in one go and then nlite just the rest of the apps over the previously nlited source making sure there are no duplicate addons applied? Perhaps if I used direct hotfix integration during the first run, but then uncheck it for the second run so that the apps are installed during instalation from the cd onto an already patched up and updated source?

Example:

First run with direct integration checked in advanced tab:

RyanVM Update Pack 2.1.11

RyanVM DirectX 9.0c Addon 1.4 (June 2007)

RyanVM Sun JRE 6.0 Update 1 Switchless Installer

RyanVM .NET Framework All-In-One Package BETA2

Kel's Runtimes v2.6.2 by Kelsenellenelvian

xp-AntiSpy 3.96.4.cab - to remove windows update etc.

+ the drivers, removal and setup section.

Second run only addon and make iso section with direct integration unchecked in advanced tab.

I have tried several times to get a whole bunch of addons installed and only one installation came out with most of it being there and I was very specific about the addon installation order. I beleive it was sucessful only after I unchecked direct integration in advanced tab.

Interestingly nlite and other .net dependent stuff installed, but .net didn't. I had to install it manually afterwards and then nlite ran.

Thanks!