Odd Driver Issues

enderandrew

I recently made a new nLite CD. I haven't made one in almost two years.

I started with RyanVM integrator to integrate the latest hotfixes, which mostly worked. I included his DirectX addon through the integrator as well, but for some reason it didn't update DirectX. Not a huge issue.

Then I slipstreamed VTP 6 into the source.

Next I used nLite to remove various components, including most of the drivers.

Lastly I used the driver packs from driverpacks.net

I went back and forth for a couple days. I couldn't figure out why, but some of my hardware components weren't installing properly during install, such as my chipset despite having the Nvidia chipset drivers integrated. The real problem is it almost every time failed to install my optical drives. I kept looking over removed components and couldn't figure out what was going on. At the very least, I had all the latest drivers from driverpacks.net, and still nothing.

Finally, my last attempt worked, and I don't believe I did anything differently. All my hardware installed during the initial install just fine. I've been using the computer for two weeks sparingly as I've been busy with work. However I installed all my games, moved all my mp3s and video files over to the HDD, etc and now I've hit a snag. I'm really hoping I don't have to make a new install cd, format and start over again.

I've having trouble installing some new hardware, all USB devices. My thumb drive popped right up. My Thrustmaster game pad popped right up.

However I run the install program to install the drivers for my data cable for my cell phone, and it fails telling me the driver inf is missing information. The exact same driver installed fine under my previous Windows install, and I tested it at work on a Win2k box with no problems.

My Logitech USB Headset also won't install. It doesn't have a separate driver, it just uses the built-in usb audio driver from Windows, which I may have removed. I'm hoping I can just pull this driver from the original cabs and reinstall.

Next, my printer won't install. The driver fails to install simply saying it can't install the device. I tried manually pointing Windows to the inf file, and no dice. It says the driver from Epson (that I've used countless times) has no info for my hardware.

In nLite I made sure to protect Printers as an option, and didn't remove support for Printers.

Given these are driver issues, I'm wondering if I can pull driver files from the original cabs and install them. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Well where is the preset, please attach it if you didn't remove the next components.

I presume that:

Mobile needs Modem Support (if it usually supports some mobile function through it)

Logitech USB Headset needs USB Audio

Did you select Printer Compatibility to be sure that all needed components are saved?

Not without reinstall.

Well where is the preset, please attach it if you didn't remove the next components.

I presume that:

Mobile needs Modem Support (if it usually supports some mobile function through it)

Logitech USB Headset needs USB Audio

Did you select Printer Compatibility to be sure that all needed components are saved?

Not without reinstall.

I did select Printer Compatibility to protect Printer components.

The weird thing about the cell photo data cable is that it is installing its own drivers as part of the install. I thought it was safe to remove the bundled drivers so long as you planned to install your own drivers afterwards.

The headset may be my gaffe for removing USB Audio. There is no other driver for the hardware. The manufacturer expects you to use the built-in Windows driver. Can I just yank the Windows usb audio driver from the original source driver cab and reintegrate it?

I'm at work I don't have my last_session.ini handy, but I'll put it up from home later.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't think I can find my old last_session.ini because I formated and installed with my CD.

I have usb drivers. I can install MOST usb devices, and I always select protect Printer Capabilities, but I can't install a USB printer.

Does anyone know perhaps what file might be missing or ruined that I might be able to pull it off an original Windows cd and restore it?

Will that even work? That is the question, and if not, then I have to make a new CD, format and go at it again, but I haven't had much like with nLite lately and I hope that isn't the case.

Does anyone know perhaps what file might be missing or ruined that I might be able to pull it off an original Windows cd and restore it?

Will that even work? That is the question, and if not, then I have to make a new CD, format and go at it again, but I haven't had much like with nLite lately and I hope that isn't the case.

Can someone please answer this question? I've literally been sitting here for over two weeks waiting for an answer on what to do.