Need to seperate version of vista from rest of dvd

adrian2055

I have the dell oem version of vista ultimate for my dell inspiron laptop, but unforunately my laptop won't run the ultimate version because I only have 512 mb ram. I want to remove the vista basic oem from the dvd and split it on to cd's so that I can install it on my laptop. Can someone tell me how to do this? This is my first time using vlite.

How about you try it first then tell us what isn't clear.

Basically you browse to your DVD with vLite, configure it the way you want it, press apply, select second method, after it's done on the Make ISO page you have the Split button.

Wrong compared to what?

If you wanted it to be entered automatically you can fill it up in the Unattended page, or skip it by checking skip the product key (select appropriate version on the right once that option is enabled).

Ok, I screwed up somewhere. I extracted the basic version from my ultimate dvd, removed the things that I didn't need and made a new iso with vlite. When I installed vista it wants me to activate it. My version of vista is OEM. It's doesnt need to be activated. Is there a way to save my oem license? How am I screwing up this badly?

Have you tried entering your CDKEY, what does it mean OEM, if it was preinstalled and you downloaded an installation CD from the net I can't help you. Please explain.

I tried to enter my cd key and it said that the keycode is in use, but when I erased my hard drive and tried the same thing using the ultimate version it activated. Maybe my license doesn't work with the basic version eventhough it's on the dvd.

Be careful not to spend all your online activations if you have them.

Also ask your store or someone are you even allowed to reinstall the OS, meaning should it be activated with your cdkey.

I didn't think to ask dell (where I got the oem dvd from). I will call them and see if i'm allowed to do a reinstall. I'll watch the online activation thing too because I totally forgot about it. Thanks for all of your help!

Are you trying to activate Vista Basic with an Ultimate key? While it's no loss for M$ I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't possible.

i agree here your cdkey is restricted to a certain version of vista aka you say the cdkey work with ultimate it will only work with that version not any other visa edtions as other edtions requires different keys

Are you trying to activate Vista Basic with an Ultimate key? While it's no loss for M$ I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't possible.

i agree here your cdkey is restricted to a certain version of vista aka you say the cdkey work with ultimate it will only work with that version not any other visa edtions as other edtions requires different keys

Why I didn't think of this I will never know. Thanks for reminding me that each version has a different key. *Starts to feel really stupid*

Edited by adrian2055