How do you know if a mobo supports a specific CPU core/SOI/wattage?

Hi Alpaca

I am using the X2 4800 @ 2.5. It is a good CPU, havent O/C'd it yet. Running on GA M55plus S3g, built in graphics, 4 sata, 2 1394, 2 IDE connectors, onboard sound, not super fast but handles all thwe games well.

The only thing is the temp reporting diode/thermistor whatever, doesnt work properly on mine, and quite a few others I have read about on AMD processor forums, the brisbane core seems not to work. All programs I have tried are showing temps between 5c and 11c.

From what I have read there is no problem with the CPU itself, it works great, just the temp reporting, so if you need them they are whacky.

(and AMD arent saying there is a problem.)

(have used the following:> speedfan, sisoft sandra XI, AMD64CT, coretemp, Everest, CPUZ, Crystal CPU, and a couple of others I cant remember.)

Edited by oldwolf

Alpaca Portrait

Ripken already told you some info but:

1 It can share the RAM up to 1GB (to much, I know) depending on the BIOS settings, but 256MB seems to be the best setting.

3 This board has a full x16 PCI-E bus so you can drop in any card you like later.

Don´t you wory about the RAM, if you buy normal 1.8volt DDR DIMMS you are safe. You don´t OC so no need to look for expensive RAM. The 2 links I gave you work perfectly with the board, tested it my self here as I sell the board and the RAM together.

You can use your old tower, no need for a 24 pin powersupply, it works fine with 20 pins as well.

Anandtech has a nice review on the chipset, so knock your self out and read that if you like (I did :P).

EDIT: oldwolf is using a 6100/430 nVidia chipset, runs good, but the AMD 690G runs games for example better, like 30%.

Edited by puntoMX

Alpaca Portrait

EDIT: oldwolf is using a 6100/430 nVidia chipset, runs good, but the AMD 690G runs games for example better, like 30%.

It was also cheap, which was good as I had run out of money after the upgrade. :blushing:

Might buy one of the 590 chipset boards later when I decide to O/C, and if I decide to go SLI.

Edited by oldwolf

I sold a lot of motherboards with nVidia 6000/6150 (400/405/410/430) chipsets and people were realy happy with them, but now, after almost 1 year and some months we desided to switch to the AMD 690G chipset b/c most mobos have DVI, something you will just find on some nVidia 6150 mobos.

You are right, unless you don´t need SLI, there is no use to buy an other motherboard. I would if it was SiS or VIA :P.

I sold a lot of motherboards with nVidia 6000/6150 (400/405/410/430) chipsets and people were realy happy with them, but now, after almost 1 year and some months we desided to switch to the AMD 690G chipset b/c most mobos have DVI, something you will just find on some nVidia 6150 mobos.

You are right, unless you don´t need SLI, there is no use to buy an other motherboard. I would if it was SiS or VIA :P.

Dont really need DVI onboard because I use discrete video cards, but if games get any better I will have to go SLI I think. Probably go with GA M59sli S4 or S5 board.

Also wont buy SiS or Via chipset boards these days as I have heard too many problems with them.

I used to use Via boards a couple of years back and had no problems, but not now.

nmX.Memnoch
Do some research on the different VRM specifications between the Coppermine and Tualatin PIII's.

Did you ever tried it on that voltage? Never fried any CPU here, not even a Celly 600@2.2volts for months...

Do your research again ;).

I never said it wouldn't work on a higher voltage. I said it required a VRM update, to the VRM 8.5 specification to be exact. The core voltage wasn't the only change.

Also, I'm very familiar with running CPUs at higher than their rated speeds and voltage. I had a Celeron 600@1008MHz for the longest time...at stock voltage. My good old AX6BC was a champ at running CPUs without overvolting them (especially since it didn't have any voltage adjustments). However, that CPU only lasted about a year before starting to have problems. I fail to see how you had a Celeron 600 @ 2.2v (stock is 1.5v) run for months without some massive cooling on it (I had an Alpha setup with a 7000RPM fan). I'm not saying that's impossible, but it certainly would've been the exception rather than the norm.

Another thing to note is that the Celeron 600 CPUs are Coppermine based (180nm), not Tualatin (130nm).

Thanks for the link Mr. Punto, I'll definitely read up on them. I don't have a chipset preference.

I don't know, maybe it's just my own paranoia but I really don't think I want to use a board with onboard video. Do you have any links that could pursuade me to consider it vs. getting a separate low-end PCIe video card?

one thing that i noticed during my build is that some processors require a certain chipset to run. i don't think it'll be a problem, but still worth knowing. my Pentium D 940 requires P945 or P955 chipset, i guess it also works with P965 because thats what i have...when i saw that on the box i was kinda scared, but it ended up working so thats good.

I fail to see how you had a Celeron 600 @ 2.2v (stock is 1.5v) run for months without some massive cooling on it (I had an Alpha setup with a 7000RPM fan). I'm not saying that's impossible, but it certainly would've been the exception rather than the norm.

Another thing to note is that the Celeron 600 CPUs are Coppermine based (180nm), not Tualatin (130nm).

One sec there, the Celeron 2 600 runs at 1.65/1.70volt. I used a Thermaltake Super-Orb with the topfan removed. The motherboard I used was a ASUS CUBX. The CPU was OCed to 1130MHz. The case was always open at that time. Running SETI@home 24/7.

I used those Alpha fans too, the black label ones. I had 2 of them running at 7200-7300 on my Athlon 600 setup to get it to 950MHz-1GHZ

The Tualatin worked at 1.475V, so 10-15% more juice will not do any thing realy bad to that CPU. The only problem you could have was that the Gunning Transceiver Logic (GTL) bus, which operates at 1.25V in comparison to the 1.5V signal levels of GTL+, could not be handled on all motherboards. I used the ASUS CU4X and the CUBX and it always worked for me.

Thanks for the link Mr. Punto, I'll definitely read up on them. I don't have a chipset preference.

I don't know, maybe it's just my own paranoia but I really don't think I want to use a board with onboard video. Do you have any links that could pursuade me to consider it vs. getting a separate low-end PCIe video card?

Well, the onboard ATi X1250 will perform even better then a low-end PCI-E ATi X1050 fo example. The mobo I showed you even has HDMI and DVI onboard, something you would only see before on the more expensive motherboards with nVidia 6150/430 (not the HDMI). HDMI you will see now on the new AMD/ATi 2X00xx cards. You can always try the onboard VGA, and if you don´t like it you can buy a PCI-E video later.

What exactly makes you paranoia? It´s the unknown? Just ask me any thing you like about the diferences and I will try to answer it well ;).

Haven't made any buying decisions yet, but I thought I'd mention some CPU price drops since I started the thread. The 4800 Brisbane dropped $6 from $115 to $109, but the 5000 Brisbane dropped $46, from $165 to $119, so it's only $10 more than the 4800 now instead of $50 more. Probably just go with the 5000 now.