How to apply changes in HKCU to all future users too?

Hello,

My Unattended DVD is coming to an end, and now I have reached the part where the computer joins a domain successfully and logs off and back on w/ an user accout from the domain.

Now all the registry settings that I made for the local Administrator will be lost and I would have to run the regfile again. but I don't want to do that, is there a way to make all changes apply to all other user profiles as well (not just the current one)?

Best regards,

mf_2

If you apply HKCU registry tweaks during the T12 part of the setup they will be applied to the DEFAULT_USER as that is the user that is logged on at this time.

All users created after T12 will inherit the HKCU tree from DEFAULT_USER and that's what you want if I got that right.

If you wish to apply changes to the Default User Hive after T12, here are are instructions on how to do so. (e.g. If later on down the road you realize you need to apply additional settings to All new users)

To modify the default user hive, highlight the HKEY_USERS window and click Load Hive from the Registry menu.

Select the Ntuser.dat file (usually from %windir%\Profiles\Default User directory).

Type NTUSER in the Key Name dialogue box.

Now you can add or modify any Key or Value within this hive.

When you finish, highlight NTUSER and select Permissions from the Security menu.

Add Read permission to the Everyone group.

Check the "Replace Permission on Existing Subkeys" box and click Ok.

Select Unload Hive from the Registry menu and exit Regedt32.

I C&P'd this from the following link. Some of the best tips and tricks for windows collected in one place. I had quite a fright when I saw that the maintainer of the original site (jsiinc.com) put up a notice of his retired status. :unsure:

Define initial settings for new users